Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17
S
S
Even Faux "News" covered it!

This story is spreading like a wild fire in all the news.

I Just saw it in the German News.

R
R
Just heard through the General manager of a hotel here in Singapore, that a MAJOR S.E. Asia based hotel chain (over 100 five star hotels in over 20 countries) has decided to shelve all plans to send a team to Belize to investigate starting operations there. Seems that the country is not that friendly to people with lots of money, and this is the demographic that the hotel most wants to attract.
Strange timing for such a decision no?

Hey, it could have been worse. At least he did not die while in police custody.

Originally Posted by arklatex
This makes me think twice about visiting foreign countries!

Oh come on.

Last edited by Diane Campbell; 05/08/12 07:44 AM.
Hipolito Novelo, Reporter

"What coffer factory?

Noel Codd, General Manager

"The coffee factory that we have. We produce coffee, manufacture coffee and send them out to San Pedro where we have the restaurant and stuff."

Yeah, what coffee? Where on SP? I want some! It might have anti-viral properties...

and with respect to how a police SWAT Team enters a suspect compound, you dont walk in the gate ("Oh Hi, we're here and by the way we'd like to conduct a search for drugs..."), your primary concern is not about the "comfort" of suspects in custody, and you protect yourself when an animal poses a threat...sorry if that offends more tender sensibilities but a tactical entrance is just that, tactical, and characterized by certain methods. It's not like these kinds of entrances havent happened in the US with similar results when it comes to the response to an animal attack. Also I doubt seriously the officers involved were individually briefed as to the real reasons for, or behind, the raid. I'm sure the rank and file of the force acted as if they were entering an area which posed potential mortal threat to enforce a search warrant.

as to WHY the Belizean version of a SWAT Team entered the compound I think its bullshit...what also perplexes me is that the official in question did not get re-elected, so who had the juice and the motivation to pull the strings? and why post election?

Originally Posted By: arklatex
This makes me think twice about visiting foreign countries!

Diane: Oh come on.

exactly Diane

My position on this is not to justify the police actions or to assume the innocents of McAfee, but to hope that some level of government, other than the police, will investigate this to determine if appropriate actions were taken. The reported facts that only one firearm license was not available but produced later and no other violations were found would bring into question the level of force used. And for the importance of reporting all the facts as they impact the tourism industry, it needs to be fully investigated.

Originally Posted by bywarren
My position on this is not to justify the police actions or to assume the innocents(sic) of McAfee, but to hope that some level of government, other than the police, will investigate this to determine if appropriate actions were taken.

Exactly, but I would focus first on the origins of the command rather than the actions of the police themselves.

Originally Posted by bywarren
The reported facts that only one firearm license was not available but produced later and no other violations were found would bring into question the level of force used...

I support what youve said leading up to this bW, however, when dealing with the atmosphere and circumstances surrounding drugs in this day and age, you cannot know ahead of time what youre dealing with. I believe someone mentioned sounds like Mexico? If I'm told I'm going into a secured compound possibly involving drugs I'm going in with worst case in mind, regardless of persons involved. I'm sure if you consider that you will find your comment about questioning the level of force to be non sequitur...hindsight is perfect.

Don't Stop The Carnival- version 2.5

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
You mistakenly suggest my comments to be non sequitur. I am not coming to any conclusions based on any premise. I am only suggesting that based on the severity of the accusations, i.e. excessive force and political corruption on one side and criminal activity on the other, that an investigation to determine the facts is necessary. It is not good for the image of Belize to have these allegations made without confirming their validity.

Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.