Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: New Bank Account Horror story [Re: ron] #437869
05/12/12 10:43 PM
05/12/12 10:43 PM
Pismo Beach
Rykat Offline
Rykat  Offline
Originally Posted by ron
Lots of people are already trading gold coins. Have you ever tried packing $10,000 in gold coins? Baggage way over weight.

WTF????? laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh Guess he meant copper???? grin

GOP - The Party of Lincoln.
Re: New Bank Account Horror story [Re: BZ4me] #437872
05/13/12 02:04 AM
05/13/12 02:04 AM
Florida
JdeVerteuil Offline
JdeVerteuil  Offline
If you need a letter from someone as a character witness let me know I will write you one. Not like Atlantic or any other organization would know that I have no clue who you are. smile Just saying it seems a little silly for a bank to require a letter for character when they are one of the reasons for the current financial crisis. You should ask them for a letter to vouch their character as well, and get a note from their doctor saying that they are in fact healthy. While we are at it lets get banks to also submit a true cost of any mortgage we apply for. Oh wait that is a little much to ask someone to do their job. OOPS my bad.

John deVerteuil
Re: New Bank Account Horror story [Re: pugwash] #437879
05/13/12 08:35 AM
05/13/12 08:35 AM
new haven, ct,usa
R
ron Offline
ron  Offline
R
oops, my bad. Just goes to show how much faith you can put in advice on a message board, especially from me.

Re: New Bank Account Horror story [Re: BZ4me] #437894
05/13/12 08:28 PM
05/13/12 08:28 PM
BZ4me Offline OP
BZ4me  Offline OP
Thanks to you all for making me feel better, I got out of bed Saturday afternoon around 1pm with a headache from hell and then had two showings on my home for sale here in CO. Today I thought since it was Mothers Day we would get a break from showing but no such luck. I'm glad for the showing cuz they kept my mind off of this subject. Then I thought I would get my smile for the day and come to the form. All of your advise and smiles let me know I'm doing the right thing. Monday is a new day and I'll take your advise and hand it over to the PM. I've been talking to a custom agent and the stories he has been telling me would be great for writing a book but instead I've learned I'm going to have to learn to work around the "system." He has given me a few good ways to handle getting around a checking account until I get there. Even then I'll think twice about it.

Re: New Bank Account Horror story [Re: Amanda Syme] #437895
05/13/12 08:32 PM
05/13/12 08:32 PM
BZ4me Offline OP
BZ4me  Offline OP
Great advise I'll do this.

Re: New Bank Account Horror story [Re: SP Daily] #437896
05/13/12 08:46 PM
05/13/12 08:46 PM
BZ4me Offline OP
BZ4me  Offline OP
Originally Posted by SP Daily
Not the terrorists. It's the US War on Drugs! And IRS attempts to collect taxes from the offshore bank accounts.

You have brought up a subject I would like to learn more about since I'm going to be in the thick of it just like a lot of Expat.

Re: New Bank Account Horror story [Re: BZ4me] #437905
05/14/12 07:17 AM
05/14/12 07:17 AM
R
Rigrat Offline
Rigrat  Offline
R
Just have to mention that setting up a Belizean bank account as a foreigner is infinitely easier than setting up a USA bank account as a foreigner. In the USA the process stops at the 'what is your social security number' question.

Re: New Bank Account Horror story [Re: BZ4me] #437914
05/14/12 08:27 AM
05/14/12 08:27 AM
SW, MA / SW, FL
R
ragman Offline
ragman  Offline
R
First off I would view the PM solution as a short term fix while you get your account straightened out. It was good advice for your immediate needs but you will need an account in your own name only. Maybe you need both accounts?

SW, the best general advice I can give you is to have patience; learn to just shrug your shoulders and not let these things bother you because what you are going through will be revisited often when you try to do the simplest things but especially when dealing with any government agency. With the banks it is government regulation they are trying to work with I believe.

I have a type A personality and my wife is laid back but I learned quickly when I moved to Belize to just smile and shrug my shoulders. It is counterproductive to act otherwise in most cases. I actually have to rein in my wife in Belize. I like to think I have the system figured out down there and that I get the best results possible. Back in the States where I am at the moment my wife and I swap roles and I’m the one who gets upset and short with some people.

Your bank problems will work out. You will learn to accept the system and never, never fill out a form with unknown or NA. Just give them an answer and don’t try to be too perfect with your answers. Remember, honest (mostly) perfect (no) smile (yes). Always start a conversation with a greeting or conversation that isn’t about the meat of the matter, so to speak. Go in with low expectations and most of the time you will not be disappointed. Sometimes you will be pleasantly surprised.

Belizeans are great people who do not react well to foreigners who are demanding and rude. (not saying you where, just future advice) The pace down here is a little different, the urgency not so much, thank God. The rewards for living here are priceless. Good luck, everything will work out if you have done your homework and you will love it living here. For the inconveniences that you find I have always found a way to work around them to make it work out somehow. Life is full of compromises and down here there are a few more than you are probably use to.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
Re: New Bank Account Horror story [Re: BZ4me] #437926
05/14/12 11:19 AM
05/14/12 11:19 AM
Birdland - 1 mile north
ScubaLdy Offline
ScubaLdy  Offline
The first thing I did was open an account for US dollars at Provident Bank. They are worldwide; even had a branch in New York until the US told then they had to disclose all accounts (or something like that). One of the question is "do you have a bank account in Belize) The honest answer was ‘no’. I did this prior to moving here, when I was just coming for extended periods of time.
AFTER I moved here full time I opened an account at Alliance Bank that is now Heritage. I had a print out of the requirements for opening an account and made sure I had all the necessary papers. My US police department was stumped and I explained all they needed to do was say I was not wanted anyplace.
I have had excellent service from them. Heritage is now allied with Provident so I have signed the papers so that if I am ever overdrawn they will simply transfer money from my Provident account.
You have had very good advice – smile – call each of them by name – they will all remember your name – and ask ‘what do you want me to do>” This is a beautiful place.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Re: New Bank Account Horror story [Re: Rigrat] #437948
05/14/12 05:11 PM
05/14/12 05:11 PM
Rockport, Maine
klcman Offline
klcman  Offline
Originally Posted by Rigrat
Just have to mention that setting up a Belizean bank account as a foreigner is infinitely easier than setting up a USA bank account as a foreigner. In the USA the process stops at the 'what is your social security number' question.

Not certain that is 100% accurate. Every year I have several international students set up bank accounts and none of them have a SS #. Of course,they were setting up non-interest bearing checking accounts w/debit cards, so there was not going to be any 1099 year end activity.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
June
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Marty), 5,440 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics74,579
Posts488,680
Members19,884
Most Online5,530
1 hour ago

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.