Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

On Sunday, May 20, 2012, six San Pedro High School students took it upon themselves to organize a swim challenge that would not only demand much of their physical abilities, but would also demand much attention to the state of our coral reef and the personal health of everybody.

The team, lead by 18-year-old Eric Donis, set out to swim from Caye Caulker to San Pedro, a 15-mile distance that would challenge them to prove to people that living healthy lives is the best way to go and also create awareness during Reef Week about the need to keep our coral reef healthy. The swimming team consisted of Eric Donis, Mario Donis, Emir Marin, Joey Melgar, Christopher Melgar and Brandon Santos.

It was four o'clock in the morning and the swimming team and I were all ready to get the challenge started.

CLICK HERE to read the rest of this awesome story in the Ambergris Today

C
ctb Offline
C
The swim these boys did was actually on Sunday May 13, 2012. The swimmers finished their 18 mile swim just ahead of the Kayakers coming in to their finish line. The swimmers were in the water for 7 hours, beginning their trek at 5:00 AM. I was SO impressed with these boys, but SO disappointed in the lack of recognition that day for what they accomplished. There were MANY rewards and recognitions for the kayakers, and, yes, there should have been, but no prizes and little praise for the swimmers. The community needs to support our youth that are making good choices, helping the community, respecting the environment and being good role models.

I agree, that is an awesome accomplishment and should have received a huge amount of press coverage. Congratulations to all of you young men.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
What an amazing bunch of kids!!!!

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.