Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Whether a person owns a golf cart or rents one, it has the identical effect on traffic and congestion. If they want less traffic, have less people. I wrote an article in the paper years ago when there was a talk of a moretorium on permits for golf carts, especially rental companies. The title was "People Equal". It makes no difference how many golf carts the rental companies have. What matters is how many tourists are renting them. So, if they want less golf carts running around town, limit the tourists or tell them they can't drive golf carts. Yea, right. Of course the taxi drivers would like it if more tourists took taxis, but I would rather a tourist be driving a golf cart than riding in a speeding taxi. Or provide the infrastucture to support the number of people they want to come. It is the people that equal the traffic and the lack of proper roads and traffic flow that causes the congestion.
And, that is not the fault of the tourist that Belize spends so much money trying to attract.

Last edited by bywarren; 05/16/12 07:33 PM.
$1k for the month? That sounds to me like retail from their rate charts...is it? Have you emailed them and asked for a cash monthly rate? just askin'

We have lived at Grand Caribe (2 miles north of town) since last August with bicycles only. Sure, it's inconvenient at times, but it can certainly be done -- and for much less cost than renting a golf cart for 6 months. As others have said, the grocery store north of the bridge will deliver for heavy/large items. For everything else, carry in your bike baskets and backpack. We brought a set of two "grocery baskets" with us for my husband's bike that fits on a rear rack and allows us to carry nearly everything we need. We do all our shopping via bikes. These are worth their weight in gold!

Wald Bicycle Rear Baskets

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
I happened to be a Polo's one day (Yeah golf cart repair) when there was a meeting of the three major golf cart rental owners. Seems that mayor Elsa had issued a permit for a relative to bring in a bunch of new rentals while these guys were denied.

As rough as he was, when Milo Paz ran the permit issuing he kept he big stuff off the island. It rook one year for me to get a permit. This was a pain in the @$$ but when the list reached 65 there was enough pressure to issue permits to those of us who lived here.
After that (I think It was when UDP came into office) a whole series of people took turns and it seems each got all their friends and relatives passed - that's when the trucks started coming and got bigger and bigger. Now they can barely make it down middle street and cant' make the turns in one move.
However, I've had to learn we can't un-ring a bell.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
C
ctb Offline
C
I don't know about a permit, but you have to be a resident to get a Belize drivers license.

Originally Posted by ctb
I don't know about a permit, but you have to be a resident to get a Belize drivers license.

Not so!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
S
S
Loansum-Al K
Are you saying you can get a Belize drivers licence even if you are not a resident?

Surendra

T
T
I was went through this a few years ago... Things may have changed since the elections... In order to own a scooter or cart one must have a drivers license to get a permit/registration. To become a licensed driver you MUST be Belizean or a PR of Belize.

Do not need to be a resident or PR to get license in Belize.

And you have to live in Belize for 12 months before you can apply for residency, but even after you apply until it is granted you can not leave Belize for over 14 days total. 14 days in the first 12 months before you apply and then 14 days total until you gain residency. Some manage to skirt the rules but that is the basics.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 157 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.