Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#43814 09/06/01 02:52 PM
M
OP Offline
M
The countdown to my move has begun-just 23 days to go till my year in San Pedro. SO MUCH TO DO. Anyway, putting kitchen stuff in storage and just got to wondering what the food/eating is like once you live there. Obviously going to Papis every night won't be an option! Should I bring a pan? How do I eat cheaply down there? I don't eat pork/beef..which didn't seem to be a problem. Any helpful hints or advice?

Jennifer

L
L
Well, DON'T shop at the Island Supermarket!! The prices there were amazing - $7 for a box of Triscuits! I am sure that there are local markets or outlets to obtain local staples (rice & beans) at reasonable prices. We wondered ourselves how people managed.

There are plenty of local stores that carry pretty much the same as the supermarket at lower prices. You just have to shop around to find what you are looking for - which is half the fun as you never quite know what dinner is going to be until you see what is on the shelves!! There are several good greengrocers in town as well - two with a good range of imported veggies. Strangely fish is not always easy to find - you have to watch for the birds gathering along the beach and buy direct from the fishermen.

BUT, BRING YOUR PAN!!! The ones down here are very poor quality and buckle at the merest hint of heat. I would suggest a large saute pan or non-stick wok which can be used for all sorts of meals. And you may also want to include a good chopping knife as again the ones available here bend at the sight of an onion!!

Where will you be staying at.. Cheri and I and a few other couples will be there Oct. 31st - Nov. 8th... Would like to meet up with ya... Let us know.. You can email us [email protected] Thanks, Rick

You learn real quick where the local places are. My favorite was The Reef restaurant on Middle St. When I didn't feel like cooking...I could always get a huge plate of stewed chicken or a whole fried fish with rice and beans or white rice and stew beans (my favorite) for about $7bz....comes with coleslaw too.

Some of the back street vendors have cheap food too....try Shelly's.
You can always get fried chicken (2 pieces, white or dark)...and fries from the Emerald Takeout at the end of Front St....or Mr. Lee's...any cab driver will take you there.

**Speaking of cab drivers.....I met the nicest young guy...used him almost exclusively for several months right before I left.....name is Jose (Ho-say)....very dependable and such a joy to ride with. Many times I could call him and he would do errands for me or go and get things and bring them to the house....I leaned on him a lot the last few months I was there...sure do miss him!! When you get there....give him a call....016-3168...tell him Tammy gave you his # and tell him I miss him [Linked Image] **

Now..back to food...LOL
You can always find cheap food in the park at night...anytime from about 6pm on.
Great burgers and hotdogs and a variety of other local eats.

Lunch...I liked Celi's restaurant...not the street side deli...but the beachfront restaurant...closed on Wednesdays to prepare for the wednesday night Beach BBQ...which is awesome!
Wednesdays....I liked the humongous burritos at Mickey's

As far as grocery stores...I always shopped at San Pedrano grocery at the north end of Front St.....little white store on the right...has most everything you need and good prices...open early at 6am.
I never shopped at the big stores unless I just couldn't find what I wanted anywhere else. You will pay 3 prices for it.

You will have to adjust the way you eat and the types of food you prepare. If you cook like an American..it will cost you.

You learn and you get used to cooking differently....you also learn to shop in smaller quantity...for a day or two at a time. Don't even think about buying several loaves of bread at a time...they will mold.
Bread will only keep for a couple days there unless you refrigerate it...it is baked right there on the island by L.A. Popular Bakery and has no preservatives in it.

There are many vendors in town that sell fresh veggies and fruits year round....and a few local people that will come to your door selling the same or baked goods....kinda nice to have that home delivery....LOL

The best advice I can give you is to take a good set of cookware....(the good stuff there will make you have a heart attack when you see the price)...and go to Walmart and get a set of storage plastic....about $10 us for about 20 pieces...nicely packed in a small box. You will need plastic to store everything in....and the good stuff is expensive there. Also...any of your favorite utensils....kitchen gadgets...take them!
You will play hell finding them there...and they are high too.
If I had tons of money....I'd open my own housewares store on the island...kitchen, bed, bath...etc. Don't forget dishrags and cloths either.

I'm sure there are 100 other things I could think of...but it's pretty early and I haven't had my quota of java yet...LOL

Email me if you like...
[email protected]

Have a great day! [Linked Image]

KC Offline
Sandshaker -- thanks for that little review. I've printed it off. I had no idea that groceries were cheaper in the small markets. I always just went to the Island Supermarket and paid whatever it was. I figured the high cereal prices (for example) were because it's a loooooooong way from Battle Creek, Michigan to Ambergris! And... here in the States, the small, convenience stores are much more expensive, so I thought that was true in AC also. I'll be shopping (and telling our guests also) at the places you mentioned next time!

Oh yeah, one more thing... I did buy some rice in bulk once. (It was in small baggies, but obviously put in small bags by the market... not a "brand"). The next day when I got it out to cook.... it was crawling with bugs. I suppose if I had been starving to death I would have washed it, and cooked it, but I threw it in the garbage and let the bugs have it. Never bought like that again.

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the great advice! MY BAG IS GETTING FAR TOO HEAVY THOUGH! I can't wait.

I keep a scale handy while i pack, watch that 70 pound maximum, then go get another bag at the last minute!

here's another thread on restaurants...
//ambergriscaye.com/message/Forum4/HTML/002064.html

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 09-10-2001).]

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 282 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.