Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

For anyone that has spent any amount of time on this island there is definitely a seasonality for our least favorite critters - mosquitos and sandflies!

We find that in the dry season between November to May these lay almost dormant, bothering us little in the populated areas of Caye Caulker. Typically after the first rain (generally in June) these flies descend on the town as a swarm and the grocery shops almost sell out of coils and vapes to counter these flying demons!!

This week we experienced our first rains (slightly early but not unheard of)! Rain is a blessing at this time of the year as they washed down the dust from buildings, brighten the green of leaves in the trees, water vats fill up and those with allergies have finally stopped coughing! This combined with the fact that most of the rainfall happens at night and therefore are days are largely dry and with sunshine, the rain is definitely most welcome!

However what is absent are the flies � where are they? This week was their call to action and yet there is no apparent action!! We are not complaining of course and perhaps we have spoken too soon - but could there be a mosquito party going on in Mexico that all of our flying gems are attending and therefore they are not here? Or, perhaps a more likely explanation - the diligent spraying from some week's ago brought down the mosquito population in advance of the rain???

If the later explanation is the reason then the Village Council are to be thanked - the management for the foresight in organizing the the obviously strategic battle and for 'Tiger and crew' for painstakingly spraying the island both morning (and I mean EARLY morning) and evening!

Raggamuffin Tours

D
D
They only spray north of the airstrip.This is less than half of the island and less than 10 percent of the bush. They easily fly in for lunch.
Because they have a life cycle of only days the spray can only limit them briefly.
Lack of predation is the reason they produce in big numbers.
Lots of predators is the reason they are thin now, most likely.

C
C
The flies are all over me i guess, in The Village at my shop they are very bad, they have been all over my dogs as well. The Village Council have been doing a super job on spraying for a long time and I thank them as well. We have only had really bad mosquito outbreaks a few times. Thing is they cant spray when we are actually having rainy days.
I am more amazed about the lack of blister bugs..its been years..the tiny elongated beetles with tiny red markings that used to swarm around lights at night..where did they go?

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day