Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
B
Oh cooper...good grief.

Wow, talk about no good deed goes unpunished...

C
C2C
C2C
C
I'm with Cooper on this one. Very bizarre sort of competition.

Let acts of kindness be rewarded at the time (recognized publicly in class, at home, in the street, etc.) for proper reinforcement. But to have a competition based on teacher/supervisor recommendations smacks of favoritism and to have it based on subjective and rather poorly written recommendations doesn't give true value to the acts and character of the "contestants".
All of the kids who didn't/won't win are therefore not kind enough? Those not nominated are mean?
Kindness is a recognized moral value and considered the antithesis of envy/greed (deadly sin). Kindness is good and should be encouraged but to have a program like this will push some kids to acts of kindness for the wrong reason: to win.
School is a place where children learn all sorts of things, but not where one should learn that kindness is a competition, but only one valuable way of getting along with others.
Competition is valuable and there should be winners and losers but on a pragmatic, rational basis - a level playing field if you will.
Let the kids decide amongst themselves who is the kindest or most popular - its what kids do anyway. Such popularity contests aren't any more fair than this but are part of growing up.
Where is the best mathematician? The best speller? The best grammarian?

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
geeze what kind of competition isn't bizarre in some sort of way. contemplate huge men crashing together and damaging their brains, and everyone loves it!!!!

this is a competition for kindness! we need more of them!

i used to do history competitions in school, where me memorized long lists of irrelevant facts. i would much have preferred a competition where i could go out and do good things for people.

i did debate. learn both sides of a question so you can argue to the death on either side. is that not strange?

C
C2C
C2C
C
Originally Posted by Marty
i did debate. learn both sides of a question so you can argue to the death on either side. is that not strange?

Hardly strange and very useful! The ability to debate does not presume the necessity to agree with whatever side you are on, only to know and use relevant facts (or opinions), present them with conviction, and let others be swayed by one argument or the other.

As for the physical competitions, not everyone "loves" them.

Competitions, to the best of my knowledge are rarely fair, I suppose it depends on your unique perspective in any given event as to what you deem fair or unfair. I think the Be Kind Belize program has brought a whole new perception of animals to our community. I am definitely seeing a shift in attitudes towards animals that include concern and respect for the welfare of animals here on the Caye.

Personally I always admire people,when they get up, stand up for their cares and belief system and are willing to be put on a stage or platform and be judged. That is no easy task.

These kids are our potential leaders and policy makers of the future.

I applaud their efforts and those of the Be Kind Belize program.

My son attends primary school and he has come home and proudly handed over certificates and coloring books from the Be Kind Belize project. He rushes to tell us about how to be caring and how to care for our pets and why we should be wary of animals we don't know etc....

I am yet again dismayed at how some people can't resist the urge to put others down, others that give their hearts, souls, energy, time and money into broadening our kids horizons and who take the time to know our kids, not just on a cursory level but know about their lives, their families and their hopes and dreams.

Keep up the great work Be a kind Belize. I have 2 children that have been through the ongoing programs and loved every minute of it. And you know what, they didn't even get nominated and you don't see them moping around. In any competition there is a winner and there is a ton of people that didn't win. That is how competitions work.

C
C2C
C2C
C
Competitions, to the best of my knowledge are rarely fair, I suppose it depends on your unique perspective in any given event as to what you deem fair or unfair.

Unless this is one of your rare exceptions, it's a sad commentary that you're supporting an unfair competition involving kids.

I think the Be Kind Belize program has brought a whole new perception of animals to our community. I am definitely seeing a shift in attitudes towards animals that include concern and respect for the welfare of animals here on the Caye.

This is good. Very good in fact. It is sad the many animals, including pets, that are poorly treated. Any effort to improve this situation has my support.

I am yet again dismayed at how some people can't resist the urge to put others down, others that give their hearts, souls, energy, time and money into broadening our kids horizons and who take the time to know our kids, not just on a cursory level but know about their lives, their families and their hopes and dreams.

I certainly didn't put anyone down. I simply shared my opinion of a competition based on morality which won't change a whit of what BeKindBelize is doing, effect the outcome of voting, or the learning experience (good or bad) the children get from this effort.

Your children's experiences sound good and I hope it is true for all the children.

P
P
The Be Kind Belize program is excellent. My child will be old enough next year to be in it. However I know a lot of children who have taken the program and have all enjoyed it. Colette works with a lot of children. It is hard to pick one child to win so she opened it up. These children were nominated by their classmates. Their teachers wrote up the summary of why they should win. Also I would like to mention that the kids work harder knowing that there is a "prize" in the end.
Colette keep up the good work. You are making a difference with the children in SP.

M
M
Originally Posted by Be Kind Belize
...Math, spelling and history are important but without empathy and kindness, irrelevant...

Ted Kaczynski has a PhD in mathematics.

I
I
It's a no brainer to support what Be Kind Belize is doing..... good work Colette! Please keep doing the great things you do for the kids of Belize.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.