Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
They are two of the main reasons why the quality of our lives is not what we would like it to be. We are entitled to expect a better quality of life, than we now have because, we live in a democratic state, where the people choose citizens, who put themselves forward as persons of honor and integrity, to govern us and, serve our best interests. Putting yourself forward as someone who may be entrusted to serve the nation, by pursuing those two noble objectives, is to undertake to complete a sacred contract. Serving your fellow countrymen is serving your Creator, which is in compliance with the first commandment. You are not elected to be a Member of the House of Representatives, and be called Honorable, to use your high office for any other purpose than to serve the people.

To ensure that public officials are as scrupulous in their dealings and behaviors as Caesar's wife, there is a Corruption in Public Life Act and an Integrity Commission to enforce this law. The law is deficient in that it is narrow in its application. Obviously, there is as much opportunity and temptation to use their office for personal gain amongst the higher echelons of the Public Service as in the political directorate. Also, the corruption-minded members of the political directorate require the complicity of senior public officers to be successful in their ventures.

Corruption is not the type of crime that will come to the attention of a police department. So. In view of the fact that not one single member of the political directorate has ever been prosecuted for this offence, there can only be two explanations for this. Either all our elected officials, since Independence, qualify as members of the angelic hosts or, the Integrity in Public Life Act is lacking and the Integrity Commission has been asleep at its post.

We pay a very high price for corruption. If the act deprives an individual or group and enriches the offender, the nation does not suffer a loss. The net result is a transfer of funds. The same as if a robber takes away someone's possession at the point of a gun. Both result in a transfer of funds and both cause harm, which has a cost.

Which is worse, the robber or the corrupt politician? Robbers rob. They are predators. Elected officials take an oath to serve the people. A corrupt politician is much worse than a robber because, in addition to committing a crime, his act is a betrayal of trust.

There is a high cost to corruption, not easily measured. It stifles productivity. It frustrates entrepreneurship. It adversely affects morale. It slows down the process of government business and, it enriches the few at the expense of the many.

There are many corrupt practices engaged in by public officials, having to do with contracts, projects and the dispensation of political favors. All criminal. All reprehensible. All beneficial to the politician at a cost to the nation. Also, to be considered is that serious investors may not be prepared to do business with a country with a bad reputation for corruption.

I believe you agree with me that a corrupt politician is worse than an armed robber. Now, I will let you decide whether crime or corruption is worse for our economy.

Let's talk about crime. The first thing to bear in mind is that the more major crimes increase, the less minor crimes are reported. The reason for this is that citizens realize that the police have not the time to deal with petty crime. Unreported crimes encourage more criminal activity. If this trend continues, all law-abiding citizens will become victims of crime.

Crime is like this. For every perpetrator, there is his first victim. Let's say he is an armed robber. If he is successful, which means that he is not apprehended, there will be a second victim, then a third, and so on. By the time he has his fifth victim, he is in the business of armed robbery. If he is a gang member, now he had status. He has the power of an intimidator, which is attractive to the opposite sex. It is easy for him to find one to mate with, who will keep his gun and swear that he was with her at the time when a crime, he is accused of, was committed. That's one scenario.

Here is another. There are people who make crack cocaine, which is a mixture of pure cocaine with other substances. It is very strongly addictive. Those who smoke crack cocaine usually end up as crack-heads, a burden to their family and the state. For the manufacturers of crack cocaine, it is a lucrative business. They live comfortably, send their children to high school, even college and, are respectable citizens.

From an economic point of view, what the consumer pays the producer is merely a transfer of funds, which the latter may put to better use but, there is a real loss and, a cost to the state. We lose the potential income that the crack-head might have earned, if he was a productive citizen at the outset. There is also a loss to the economy of the ripple effect of his spending on food, recreation and various services. What it costs the nation of one crack-head, multiplied by the number of those afflicted must be significant.

You can get an idea of the cost to the nation of around 300 murders in the last three years. Let's say 25% of these were of productive citizens with a life expectancy of thirty years each. That would be 75 x 30 x $30,000 or $67,500,000. Add to that a proportion of the cost of the criminal justice system (police, courts, et al), the pain and suffering of the victims' families and the peace and sense of security of the general public. The last two items cannot be properly measured.

I think the cost of crime has never been evaluated by our stakeholders (the Unions, Chamber of Commerce and the rest of civil society). If it were, Direct, Decisive and Effective action to curb crime would have been taken long ago.

Both crime and corruption, these two evils are getting worse. It has reached the stage where Direct, Decisive and Effective action is called for. By this I mean action which will result in measurable improvement in the status quo. Would you say that the actions taken by those who have been entrusted with the responsibility to deal with these two evils have been successful? I think not.

The government deserves credit for its efforts in dealing with crime and, it is noted that is has widened its circle of advisers. This is a good sign because, judging by the results of the actions taken on the advice of its in-house advisers, an impartial observer would have to conclude that they have not been fruitful.

Still, government has the power to do whatever is necessary to curb crime. The past regime has failed but, we have a new regime since March 7. The least it can do is set a target and a timetable and let the people judge the results. A target like a 25% reduction in the annual murder rate by March 7, next year.

We have to be reasonable in our expectations about reducing the crime rate but, we have a right to demand that measurable progress is made. It is different with corruption. Corruption by public officials and senior public officers can be eliminated entirely, if there is the political will to do so. I think that the general public is entitled to see that positive steps are taken to achieve this goal.

I have mentioned in previous articles some measures that could be adopted in pursuit of the desired objective. The one in which I have the greatest confidence is to revert to the previous system of public administration, where the senior managers were career public officers, with security of tenure, instead of CEOs who serve during the existing government's term of office.

I think corruption entered public administration on the introduction of CEO management by the ruling party prior to Independence. Its purpose was to have the ministers and CEOs as partners in a political mission. The change served its purpose but, it is no longer the purpose of senior managers in the public service. Now the purpose is to provide the best possible management of a public service that is dedicated, productive, efficient, well trained, committed and, above all, non political.

The objective of a CEO is to make a profit for a business. The objective of a Permanent Secretary is to give quality service to the public. They are both expected to give their ministers the best advice of which they are capable. Which is better able to do this? The Permanent Secretary has the knowledge, training and experience of having served an average of 30 years in government ministries and departments.

I'll end by making a statement and asking a question. The statement: we inherited our Parliamentary system and our system of governance from Britain. The question: why do you suppose that Britain has retained a career civil service headed by Permanent Secretaries as its senior managers?

Amandala

G
G
If there is lying, cheating, adultry, not paying taxes, stealing in your home. What do you expect. Does corruption come from the top? Or does it come from the bottom?
Many small scale social experiments have proven, if it comes from the top it goes to the bottom. Please read the Tavistock Principle.
In any case, a cultural predisposition that runs throughout the levels of a political domain, can't be blamed on the top or the bottom.
To change a culture, it needs to start at the top....no hope here! And, it takes many generations that get the benefit of honest government, ethically based education, enforcement and prosecution of fair laws, and continual exhortation for honesty from government, down to the level of family to make a change.
Blame the history, blame a former commonwealth government, blame current government, blame economics and poverty!
Blame never changed anything....as much as you can academically assess a situation.
Start in your family! Stop lying. Stop trying to get something for nothing..scamming! (scamming isn't just the domain of the newcomers) work your butt off for your family, and teach your family to work for your future. Get more education. Education in itself is no promise for the future. Education is a basis to be able to work at a higher level...it doesn't mean if you are more educated you don't have to work as hard. In your family, live by and teach an ethical standard!
My parents were poor...dirt poor, and this is how they got ahead. They taught this to me...I'm not as wealthy as they are. This shows there are still no guarantees.
Honesty, education, and hard work still trumps--corruption, belief God will take care of you (after all God teaches "he who helps himself" and you fill in the rest), your government you elect will take care of you, or pinning the blame on your cultural history, even if it was bad, exploitive, or unfair will make a difference.
It's really up to you....no matter wher you live.

C
C2C
C2C
C

G
G
Thanks so much C2C for printing that! I'm from another era and didn't even realize it was so easy to get online!
I've been fortunate to participate in Tavistock Training Weekends where my eyes were opened about how groups form, how values move up and down through striated groups, and how change can occur through realization how people operate in groups.
I hope I can lift and save what you offered, for future reference.

G
G
That being said, how values operate throughout groups, and how history and group dynamics perpetuate values; our country is corrupt and crime ridden top to bottom. This situation only benefits the top level economically.
If our ENLIGHTENED elected officials understood how powerful they are, and if they are corrupt in silence, that it still would permeate the whole populace, maybe they would choose to govern for the greater good.
Because they don't, whether it started here in Belize from Colonialist greed, leaving behind the British Parliamental Government, or other Colonial artifacts, corruption and crime can't be attributed to that.
Change has to occur if every soul chooses to be honest, and working for their neighbors best interest. GOB down to the person, and person to each other person in their daily encounters.

Very interesting article on groups. Would be excellent assigned reading for our PM and Cabinet.

G
G
I thought so. They and the whole ruling group as well as a group of citizens could benefit in having an actual workshop. They usually last three to four days. The Psychiatric Institute in Washington DC still facilitates the experience.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.