Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

It is no news for residents of San Pedro to hear that the cemetery located at the end of Barrier Reef Drive on the beach side has surpassed its maximum capacity and cannot accommodate more bodies for burial. But the good news is that the San Pedro Town Council and Hon. Manuel Heredia have allocated land south of Ambergris Caye for a new cemetery. On Thursday, May 24, 2012, Ambergris Today accompanied Mayor Daniel Guerrero and Hon. Manuel Heredia Jr. as they made a site visit to inspect the five acres of land which was recently acquired by Central Government for a new cemetery. The plot of land is located south of Ambergris Caye, near the entrance to the dump site.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the Ambergris Today

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Work starts on new Cemetery for San Pedro

With the present cemetery in use for decades beginning from the days when San Pedro was just a fishing village, the quickly expanding population has lead to a very congested cemetery with limited to no space for new burials. With this in mind San Pedro authorities have now allocated an area to be designated for a new cemetery. This past week, work commenced on a five acre plot of solid land located some two and a half miles south of San Pedro town, the area where the new San Pedro cemetery will be located.

At the site on Friday May 25th were: Hon. Manuel Heredia Jr. Minister of Tourism and Culture; Daniel Guerrero, Mayor of San Pedro, and Councilor Severo Guerrero Jr., councilor responsible for cemeteries. According to Heredia, this is a major accomplishment for both the San Pedro Town Council as well as himself, as the Minister of Tourism, "From the past town council, the idea of finding a new cemetery was born. For many years we have been hearing of the need for a new cemetery. Well, now it is here."

According t to the Minister, the land was allocated by past councilors Severo Guerrero Sr. and Nano Guerrero. Once the land was allocated, the Minister took the request to Cabinet, which was immediately endorsed and gazetted a few months ago. Last week, permission was granted to have the property surveyed and the Council jumped on this task and made it one of major priority.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

one does wonder about the water table depth in this location...

I live nearby and elevation was measured at 9 ft above sea level. The majority of the 5 acres is high and dry, thick bush and trees. Gumbo limbo and Chechen which doesn't grow in salty or marshy land.

P
P
Looks positively mountainous by Ambergris Caye standards - look at that incline..........or the photograher's been drinking

I have made it a point to NOT get involved in the politics of a country that I love but do not reside in: Having affirmed that, it does seem like the new Mayor is getting some non partisan things accomplished, so well done!

How about an access road to the dump along the north (in the above picture?) side of the land so that trash hauling vehicles are not constantly going through the new cemetery?

It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......
JZB Offline
I really wish they wouldn't clear the whole 5 acres (?) at once. It is so nice having the 'jungle' there and all the critters that live in it. I can't imagine there is an immediate need for that many gravesites.

AND JUST THINK - they can sell the black dirt every time they dig a grave. I have to wonder how many Mayan artifacs will be destroyed by that bob cat.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Originally Posted by Amanda Syme
I live nearby...

Well Amanda at least the new neighbors will be peaceful ones...well maybe except on Halloween...

I agree JZB.

Harriette: Right on Re archaeology survey. I'm sure Dr Jan would check it out for them if asked.

JZB Offline
But just think about the awesome Spooky Halloween party SACNW can have this year! wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.