Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#440178 - 06/09/12 07:35 AM Green Iguana Conservation Project  
Marty Online happy
Marty  Online Happy
The Iguana Hatchery is highlighted in this video. Humberto Requena describes the SIRH Iguana Project, and introduces the iguanas - he's famous.

"Roni hangs out with Gomez and Roxy, two iguanas from San Ignacio Resort's Iguana Project."

#444938 - 08/21/12 07:57 AM Re: Green Iguana Conservation Project [Re: Marty]  
Marty Online happy
Marty  Online Happy

The amazing Harris family leaves a lasting impression on all their Belizean friends! Jhada and Jesse are proud adoptive parents of green iguana babies "Captian" and "Sparrow." THANK YOU! — with Jesse Harris, Mireille Harris, merielle harris and Jhada Zimmer at San Ignacio Resort Hotel, Belize.

Iguana Adoptions at the Iguana Hatchery

The Green Iguana Conservation Project has a program where you can adopt an iguana. Have you been to the Iguana Hatchery lately? Now might be the time. It's located on the site of the San Ignacio Resort Hotel, and the tours leave every hour on the hour, except at noon. It is ranked number 1 on Trip Advisor for things to do in San Ignacio.

"The Green Iguana Gonservation Project extends a special thank you and Congratulations to these proud adoptive parents of green iguanas!"

Source

Here is a great video of the Green Iguana Project at the San Ignacio Resort Hotel. What a cool place. You can hold a plethora of baby iguanas.

Here is a video of me and Gomez I filmed the vid at the Green Iguana Exhibit in San Ignacio, Belize on September 15, 2010. The program aims to create awareness, educate, and to release these reptiles into the wild in an effort to repopulate the riverbanks of Belize with these colorful creatures.

The Ambergris Today paid a visit to Cayo to experience some of the best restaurants and attractions in Belize, and they made sure to stop by the Green Iguana Conservation Project at the SIRH, which is ranked as the number one attraction in Cayo on Trip Advisor, and for good reason. The video they did on their visit is spectacular, and really captures the essence of the tour. Iguanas, termites, orchids, grasshoppers, and lots of other flora and wildlife, even Humbero Requena. Definitely worth a watch.

"Belize is home to thousands of species of trees, flowers and hundreds of species of animals. An amazing array of creatures makes their homes in our Belize. Get a glimpse of this vast wildlife at two of San Ignacio Resort Hotel tours - the Medicinal Trail and the Belize Iguana Project. "

Click here to read the rest of the article and see LOTS OF KILLER photos in the Ambergris Today

Matthew Valdovinos, one of the NMSU film school students that did the Belize study abroad documentary film course, has released the documentary about the Green Iguana Conservation Project. It starts out with Humberto Requena and Eddy Estrada defining what the project does. Interesting fact: the San Ignacio Resort Hotel has been able to raise the survival rate from around 6% to around 60% in the hatchery.

Daniel Velazquez, one of the cofounders of the project explains how the project is sustainable, so it will stand the test of time, and shows some footage from the project in 1999. The documentary also has interviews with Miriam Roberson and the Belize Wildlife Referral Clinic's Dr. Isabelle Paquet Durand, and if you ever wanted to know how to clean an iguana, you can learn it by watching. This video is well worth the watch.

CLICK HERE for the video

#444961 - 08/21/12 07:10 PM Re: Green Iguana Conservation Project [Re: Marty]  
lorenzogonzalez Offline
lorenzogonzalez  Offline
Cool video. I personally met Roni when he was in Belize.

Belize Adventure Blog
http://www.belizeadventure.ca
#521155 - 01/24/17 07:41 AM Re: Green Iguana Conservation Project [Re: Marty]  
Marty Online happy
Marty  Online Happy

ZIGGY CHILLING ON MY HEAD!

Green Iguana Conservation Project – A Learning Adventure

by Madison Pearl

Our first adventure of the year was a weekend at the San Ignacio Hotel and a special tour of their Green Iguana Conservation Project. I was super excited to be invited because honestly iguanas make for really cool instagram selfies, but I had no idea I’d be learning as part of the tour too!

Did you know that green iguanas are a threatened specie in Belize because people hunt them and eat them? They eat their eggs too! What in the world? I like to try new things, but that’s just sad! These iguanas are so pretty! The females are brown and turn green in mating season and the males turn bright orange! The babies are all bright green like Pride and Joy, the babies I got to meet on our tour.

The iguanas at the project are all hatched there and released into the wild when they are around two years old and strong and healthy enough to survive in the wild. Some like Ziggy, with health issues are kept there so they can give them better care and a better chance to survive.

All the iguanas at the project have their own personalities like Oscar the grouch! If you get near his territory or especially his ladies he gets really, well, grouchy! He’s the biggest iguana in the project so it’s best just to watch him from a distance. The males fight a lot, over girls mostly. Just like with us, the girls are way more chill.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the iTravel Belize Blog

WEEKENDS ARE FOR THE IGUANAS

“Do you want to hold an iguana,” certainly isn’t the first thing you’re expecting to hear in the morning. But this past Saturday, that’s just about how my day started. While we were too tired from our first week of work to make it to any of the major tours, Hannah and I stayed in San Ignacio to get a taste of the local activities. The first stop? – The Green Iguana Conservation Project at the San Ignacio Resort Hotel.

Balanced just at the top of the major hill in town, the hotel sits on the edge of the rainforest that grows up the banks from the Macal River. The tropical green leaves provide the perfect tree cover for a shaded iguana enclosure. The iguana project started over 20 years ago when the population of green iguanas in the area started to decline because of hunting. The meat of an iguana, known as “bamboo chicken”, as well as the eggs, were considered a delicacy in this area. Now it is illegal to hunt iguanas out of season, but there still remains a need for supporting the redevelopment of the population.

Our guide, Zhawn, introduces us to the alpha of the iguana community community, Gnome. At first we were confused because although Gnome is a green iguana, he is not green at all. As it turns out, male iguanas turn orange during the mating season. As the dominant male, Gnome is extra orange. The large flap under his chin, called the dewlap, helps him get all the ladies while he waves it back and forth in a territorial mating display. The dewlap is also helpful for absorbing extra heat and regulating body temperature.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the Fulfilling Wanderlust Blog

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
Paradise Guy Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
November
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Mini Chat
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (RedRover, Marty, 1 invisible), 234 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics65,640
Posts466,487
Members18,956
Most Online1,262
Jun 10th, 2007

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.