Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#440380 06/12/12 10:39 AM
A
Alw1977 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I almost hate myself for posting this... I have been to many a tropical locale during "off" season, but not Belize. Arriving on AC in about 13 days. It looks like the country is getting killed with rain right now and has been for some time. Obviously a rainy vacation pales in comparison to the harm the rain has caused many on the mainland. Let's say the rainy trend is still continuing during our visit. What are some other things one can do on a rainy day? Besides the obvious (reading, napping, practice baby making...). Live music? Shopping? Good watering holes to ride out a storm?

Rainy days ....

Spas
TONS of good watering holes
Movie theatre at night
Scuba & snorkeling can still go on if it's just a little rain and not a "storm".
Dancing, Kareoke
Poker club
Shopping is fun - especially recommend the local art.
Eating - fabulous dining in every price range

We are indeed having an unusual May-June weather pattern. Wish the weather gods were more into sun this week!

Bring a poncho and a sense of humour - if you come prepared for rain it will probably be very sunny.

ignore the US weather reports for Belize. frankly, ignore all weather reports. it was supposed to rain for the last 10 days, and it just rained for the first time in a week for about an hour.

dont worry, it'll be fine smile

M
M
Thanks Lara...coming in 12 days and YES I have been watching the weather reports. That gives me hope!! :-)

R
R
mom, Hope you have fun and chances are that you will but from June till November and of course occasionally in the other months there will be rain. It is like going to the Caribbean in August/September, maybe there will be a hurricane and maybe there won't. In January you know there will not.

If weather is really important to you maybe you should consider the winter months next time? A little more expensive but guess why?

That said I really hope you have a good time and return to a beautiful country with a lot of unique charm. Just consider that decisions are made with certain chances and this time of the year the odds are different that say January or February.

I really have a lot of empathy for people who come down during the supposedly dry months and get rain. Sometimes I talk to them and I know that they have paid a lot of money to be here but the weather is not cooperating. I guess that is just life, you buy your ticket and take your chances.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
My mother always said "You're not sugar or salt - you won't melt."

I was born in Washington and schooled in Oregon - those places have RAIN! The rain here is not like that constant drizzle; you can hang out under an almond tree until the deluge passes. Even if you do get wet it is not a cold wet and you will dry out in 15 minutes. So come on down and have a good time.

My children had spent the summer with their father in Hawaii and I went for a week's visit. They took me to the most popular fish reserve cove and they led me to a certain palm tree and said just wait. HUH - within 5 minutes it started raining and all the tourists grabbed all their stuff and ran to their cars. My daughter and son simply laid our stuff out under the tree they wanted and of course the rain passed right on by. BTW they were 7 and 10 at the time. Very island smart little kids.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Just make sure you are waterproofed for camera, wallet and phone if you are using one here.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

I've been rained on far more often during the autumn and winter trips, than ever during the spring/summer trips.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

A
A
Been there over 20 times, various times of year. Mostly, the weather reports from the US are for the mainland. I've been in thunderstorms that lasted less than 5 minutes and an actual tropical storm. During Tropical storm Gamma (we ran out of names) I found a flight to the mainland (which was not rainy) and had a different adventure. It's a little island in the middle of a big weather area. They (weather channels) can't predict Ambergris Caye.

M
M
Thanks Ragman, The rain can only dampen my cloths not my spirit. This trip is so much bigger than sunny weather. My mom who was born in Monkey River in 1906 was given away during the depression at the age of three, Mom passed away this january never knowing she had a big beautiful family in Belize. Thru the power of internet and many hours I have tracked the family down. Mom's eldest brother is not well so this trip was planned around his health and not the weather.
Of course the sun making an apperance would be great but not a deal breaker!...I have always felt a connection to Belize and this will be the first of many trips to this Jewel! Spending a week on AC with my best friend before heading to mainland for family reunion. Can not wait...11 more sleeps until the next chapter in my life begins!! Cheers

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.