Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#440727 06/16/12 07:55 AM
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Last night again boats on the North end of the island where stolen from their docks in the night.
This seems like a new high in the boat thievery.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
where - please advise!

looks like we need a sting operation with somebody ready to hog-tie the perps.

Possible that this posting is mixing up some time-lines and events - waiting for clarification from Elbert.

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
yep , my time line is a day off apparently, none the less , we're experiencing an all time high with stolen boats.
Its just a perfect environment for thieves to get away with it.
The road isn't in shape for response by police and donations of a boat to them doesn't work for more than a few weeks before its not functional. Maintenance and experienced captains with a budget for fuel have to go with a donation of a boat or its just a waste and even with that I have my doubts.
Guns in the hands of residents is a little scary but I still believe that dogs, locks and guns are the answer to this problem.
Its been a successful solution in remote areas for a long long time.

White Sands Dive Shop
About all the boat thefts, Sounds like a ring, Yes, I can set up a bait boat scenerio.
Yes, I was one of those guys you see in the spy movies camped out in the back of a tinted out van for hours, watching TV monitors, drinking lots of coffee and eating crappy take out food.
Contact me with details if your boat has been stolen recently and I can analyse the patterns.

Info I need..Location... what time....day....was it locked....tools used?
possible direction of travel and any other details you can provide.

For the Middle Island Neighbourhood watch (MIN) we are sending out this message regarding the stolen boats tomorrow:

Originally Posted by MIN
We have had a number of boats stolen recently. The thieves (about 4 in a small boat) come in small boats at night (preferably during a rainstorm) and swim or paddle the boat out, then tow it to where they are far enough to start the boat, to be taken to a quiet hidden place where they remove the engine. It has been reported that they hide under the dock.

What can you do against Boat Thefts:

Keep the boat area lighted and have someone watch the boat at night.
Flashing light on them makes the thieves move on.
I would not recommend to confront the thieves as they may be armed.
Captain Sharks (226-3370) sell engine locks with steel cable / chain, to lock the engine to the dock.
You can remove the main breaker from the engine, so it can't be started.
Amazon sells these [u]Satellite Based Boat Monitoring & Theft Systems[/u] for US$292.93 but don't ship them to Belize.
A reward has been offered for the arrest and conviction of these thieves by neighbours, we will keep you informed about this.

A few years ago we had this type of activity in the south area of the island and sometimes if the security guards flashed their flashlights at the small boat shots were fired. Keep that in mind.

Flashing lights at thieves and jumping out to take their photo is confrontational and these guys dont play by the same rules as us normal folks.

I think what I am saying is that i would hate to see someone being seriously harmed.

This problem is something we need to get very serious about, it is time for proactive security measures in Conjunction with pressuring the Govenment to wake up and react to the crime that is plaguing the country.

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Good Luck on the Government waking up and reacting.

White Sands Dive Shop
If there is a reward posted, tell me how much. Not for greed but to know how much I have to work with. I won't collect until I catch them.
I WILL catch them eventually.

Dan

At this time the reward money is at BZ$ 1000, but we want to coordinate it with the Neighbourhood watches and hope there will be more pledges. It will take a few days to get the reward organized and then they will do a release.
Jan

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.