Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Alw1977 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Five more days til we leave! This short trip is so needed for my husband and I. Since we're leaving little ones in the care of grandparents, we need to stay in contact with home. We're staying at Matachica, which has wifi in common areas. We want to use our iphone to Skype with my in-laws when we're connected to wifi. Our research supports that this is a free solution that works. Anyone have experience with calling the US using this method? AT&T Global Roaming is $2.29 a minute or something ridiculous.

Last edited by Alw1977; 06/20/12 09:17 AM.
S
S
We have never been very successful on our previous trips as the Belize govt blocks this type of activity--Skype, Windows Live, etc. You have to connect through a VPN. You can google this term and find lots of companies who offer this service and explanations. I have used hidemyass.com with limited success on my netbook. Also the internet speed available is an issue--think slower than dial-up at many locations. Many of the restaurants have WIFI so be sure to try other locations if matachica doesn't work. I have never tried my Iphone there. Will be interested to hear if your Iphone calls are successful for our next trip. Maybe others will have found better solutions--I hope because it really is a problem trying to keep in touch with family at home via anything but email and messenger.

A
Alw1977 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
That's discouraging... so do iphone calls work at all if we're willing to bite the bullet and pay the $2.29 a minute? Any other way to call home?

A local Belizean sim card costs $50 Bz and you can buy credit to put on the sim card. When you call the US use the numbers: 1010199 1 and the number and the call is around $0.75 Bz per minute. You may have to try a few times to get through and the line might not always be perfect - but it works. If you call a cell phone number in the states the cost could be higher but it isn't very high.

At the hotel you can try using google chat - and they might even have an operational VPN and you will be able to use skype.

You are on holiday - send a couple of emails and don't feel guilty about enjoying yourselves and relaxing without the kids. The kids and Grandparents will treasure their little bit of time together too.

A
Alw1977 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
iPhones don't work on SIM cards so unfortunately that won't do for us. Stupid iPhone.

We plan to make use of email but would like to make a call if possible. We'll try gchat and Skype - I'll ask Matachica if they have VPN. Thanks!

iPhones work with SIM cards if they are the GSM model. You are probably with Verizon which is CDMA and no SIM card. I'm assuming it's an iPhone4 which is a moot point anyway if it's not unlocked and most likely not unlockable. Your best bet may be just renting a phone from QuikSilver. Then you can use a local SIM and the 1010199 that Amanda mentioned.

If you're bringing a laptop, iPad, or even your iPhone (wifi only) you can get a VPN installed on it prior to coming and use Skype. I use Skype for all my international calls with no problem on my iPhone (on wifi only) and my laptop.

otherwise, buy a digicell phone for $69bz and load up with credit - if you're canny about it you can get triple up, and use the 1010199 1 as amanda suggested. If you don't need the phone when you leave or the minutes, i'm sure someone will be willing to purchase for a small loss to you.

Alternatively rent a phone through Diane at Quicksilver belize - it's only $5usd a day with $10bz credit and you can add credit through Diane when you need it.

Mathieu's Delicatessen

Gunter the original & best.... baker, chef: breads, breakfast, lunch, FOOD!
I always use Call Back Today for 33.1 cents per minute from Belize to the U.S. using a local Belize cell phone. Check them out at www.callbacktoday.com

Dennis
A
Alw1977 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
This is getting confusing. I've just emailed QuikSilver - I'm looking for the "easy" button, if you're familiar with those commercials.

Magic Jack is the best....you need a strong vpn and you can get the magic jack at stores like walmart or best buy...you will need a home phone that you hook up to your laptop ..it costs around 100us for total set up then its valid for a year of free calls to u.s and canada then you can renew it..you can use it when you return home as well to make local calls...free..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.