Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Letter to the Editor by Corry McDermott

Why have we let GOB rape us out of our hard earned dollars and give us only $69,000 when they receive altogether approximately $70,000,000? What have they given us in return?

Bad Police

Bad Roads

Bad Infrastructure

Bad Gangs coming over from Belize City to rob us, breaking into the legal privacy of our homes and businesses.

There is a problem with the culture of San Pedro and that is: "Everything is: 'No Problem Mon'." For they have never liked confrontation, and have a lackadaisical attitude, saying, "Let the other guy do it."

If the police happen to catch a burglar/thief, he is let go within two days for no-one that has been broken into and robbed will testify against them. People of San Pablo especially, do what the people did further down south. They created South Ambergris Caye Neighborhood Watch and each of the 120 members has contributed to, we don't have any criminals down there trying to rob us. Only one burglary happened in 2011!

People of San Pablo, take a look at your community and say to these criminals that have robbed and burglarized over 50% of your homes, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! We are honest citizens and if the police won't do it, then let us each pay $50 a month to have our own private police force and control the crime. It can be done, but you have to come out of your bushes, your hiding and pull together. The old way of life is gone. You used to be able to leave your dive gear and wetsuit to dry out on your porch - even a camera. But not today. The new way of life is how to get along with the gangs of criminals and dopers.

You can have a secure and peaceful life again. Just like those folks down south that banded together and sent these gangs and bad police a message.

Thank you, and God bless,

/s/ Mr. Corry, a very concerned citizen.

Well said Corry

Gaz Cooper

Bumping this up...it's a great post.

K
K
Those of us that live South are asked to pay $3500.00 a year per lot or unit. Sorry to say, it takes lots of money and time to prevent crime!!!

Although we suggest $3,500 per household many house and lot owners do not contribute at all. If everyone paid into the system then it would be a lesser amount for those of us that pay this amount.

The system isnt infallible but it definitely works with a high degree of success.

Many vacant lot owners don't realize the added value that the 24 hour courtesy patrol provides for the area in terms of resale value.

Originally Posted by Amanda Syme
Although we suggest $3,500 per household many house and lot owners do not contribute at all...
and one or two businesses which really surprised me...in fact I need to write one of them about this...

Originally Posted by Amanda Syme
Many vacant lot owners don't realize the added value that the 24 hour courtesy patrol provides for the area in terms of resale value...
it was a buying point for us...

K
K
I suggested a few years ago lowering the $3500.00. $3500.00 is a lot of money, especially for retired people on fixed incomes. If it were more affordable perhaps more people would or could pay.
I think some people don't pay because they are embarrased to only pay a smaller amount.

I know that the SACNW has done a lot of good, but I don't think that talking about setting up PRIVATE police force's is the way to go, The Police force here on the island have a very hard job for which they are paid very little and their living conditions are very sub standard. If people are willing, and some do pay $3500 per year, why not raise money for the Police force, give them good accomodations,give them items that will help them do a better job and most of all show them that we appreciate the work they do. Is it any wonder that the Police don't perfom as we expect or demand they do, when all they hear is negative feedback.
If we could put as much effort into helping our Police as we do in trying to protect our little sections of the island, I feel that would be a step in the right direction.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
T
T
Tracker the answer to your question is very simple. Because that will not resolve the issues! There are simply not enough police officers to serve and protect the island! The night shift in San Pedro consists of about 4 officers. All you can do with that is be late for every call you receive. SACNW is not a private police force it is a courtesy patrol service that can respond quickly to most calls and evaluate what resources are needed at the scene. Having someone around that knows everyone (unlike the police and tourists as they both come and go)so that if someone is crawling out of my window and it is not me they will know that this is either normal or not and be able to take the actions needed (call the police or one of our Police Special Constables).

We have 5 full time employees on the South end. Can you imagine how many Police officers would be needed around the island to provide the proper coverage (30 to 40 per shift)?

Please don't misunderstand I still think that the police should be provided with better living quarters and better pay and the community has done a lot to assist in that regard.

I think I understand the issues involved and it seems to me that a great deal of the miscreants that cause the trouble are people that come to San Pedro from Belize City and other places and don't actually live here.

Aren't there some vagrancy laws or something that would require each person on the island overnight have an address either in a private home or a hotel etc., that they declare as their overnight residence? I am not talking about a police state but it is quite common in Europe for the police to ask you where you are staying if they find you out on the street late at night and this applies to citizens of that country as well as to tourists. Failure to have a place will find you in jail overnight.

I think the lack of attention from the GOB will eventually lead to the destruction of this golden goose that produces so much money for them. I understand that it is hard to remember you are there to drain the swamp when you are up to your butt in Alligators but surely our elected representatives can do something about this or are they part of the problem?

Captain One Iron
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 319 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.