Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Have you seen the 'Pat the Great Cat' website? It's based upon the book, and gives the history of the story and the literacy project behind it.

I am a jaguar.

They call me the Great Cat of the Americas.

Today I live in a special place, a long way from where I was born. And how I got here is one long tale.

I come from a beautiful tropical place called Belize, in Central America. Belize is home to many types of tropical forests, mountains, grassy savannahs and small islands called cayes with beautiful sand beaches. Jaguars like the tropical forests best, and we love to prowl through deep, dark caves that provide good shelter in bad weather. I'll let you in on a big secret. The caves are cool, for a lot of reasons.

I can't return to my home in the forest, and you'll find out why. Jaguars and people need to learn to live side-by-side in this world in peace. Even if you don't have jaguars in your neighborhood, you might have some creative ideas to share! I dream about ideas all the time!

There is one thing that I know for sure: the loss of my freedom is not a total loss, because I have met you. Together, we can read, write and learn about things you may never have dreamed of before: tropical forests, new and beautiful animals, special people and special places. You will find out something else that is very important. The power that you have inside of you to find solutions to problems and make the world a better place! One small step at a time!

Oh, the friends you will meet! Wild animals! The ancient Maya! All of my friends!

Ok, so I won't be reading and writing. I'll leave that to you, as I'd probably just eat the pencils. But I will be with you every step of the way.

As the jaguar, the last Great Cat of the Americas, I am hoping that you will join me on this very special journey. You can make a difference, and also have fun!

Let's do it together!

"Pat"

The "Great" Cat

http://patthegreatcat.com/

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The Story Behind "Pat the (Great) Cat: A Jaguar's Journey"

A Peace Corps Volunteer describes how 'Pat the Great Cat' came to be. The book can be found at the Belize Zoo.

"The story of the publishing of the new book 'Pat the (Great)Cat: A Jaguar's Journey' is a story of two women's passion for literacy and learning. It is also a story of collaboration between the people of Belize and the United States. 'Pat the (Great) Cat: A Jaguar's Journey' is the result of an international literacy initiative that is joining children across the United States and Belize through the true story of a jaguar from Belize who found his world forever changed as people came to share his land... Students from Belize and from urban Milwaukee, Wisconsin (ages 9-13), took on the task of creating international awareness through an extraordinary literacy journey that celebrates not only the jaguar but the importance of joining hands across nations to impact our natural world through education and friendship."

I tried to Buy the book but the site isn't working properly.

P
P
I bought this book for my grandchildren but bought through the US source. It is a beautiful book and the kids love it.

C
C
I have tried several times to buy this book, wanted to buy a large quanity. I tried to use website and send emails but no responses. I love the book and the concept of it. My painting entry in the Coca Cola art competition, you can see the billboard in B.C. on the side of the Image Factory actually has a boy sitting on a Coca Cola crate reading the book. Between the Art Gallery and the Humane Society I really wish we could get the purchasing of the book worked out. The website does not respond.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
A BELIZE LEGACY DEPARTS

Pat the Cat, a former cattle killing "problem Jaguar" who was rehabilitated at The Belize Zoo, has peacefully passed away in his home at the Milwaukee County Zoo at the ripe old age of 19. He happily lived at MCZ since 2008 with a fantastic family of caretakers and admirers. "Pat" contributed a stunning amount of awareness on behalf of his species, the mighty jaguar, both in Belize and the USA. Besides drawing attention to human-jaguar conflict which occurs in their native home ranges, Pat brought the world of jaguar beauty and excitement through his charismatic character, and through the development of a superb children't book, PAT THE GREAT CAT. The unique profile of this delightful story is that it was written by children in Milwaukee and by children in Belize. Soaring to great levels of popularity, Pat the Cat, for over eight years, brought pride to countless people about a very rare and special species. Pat left a happy legacy to the captive jaguar world. Handsome and charming Pat the Great Cat sired 3 cubs. His spirit will live on, and his glorious impact will be forever felt.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 351 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.