Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Retirees enrolled in Belize's Belize Qualified Retired Persons (QRP) Incentive Program

[Linked Image]

The BTB says that "a little over 1,000" persons have taken advantage of the QRP program since its implementation more than a decade ago. Some of these may have dropped out, the BTB says. Not sure if that number includes spouses and dependents, or not, but in any case I doubt it's an accurate picture of the number of current participants in the QRP. Anything over 400 or 500 individuals and couples is optimistic, in my opinion, based on anecdotal evidence.

The QRP program just has not worked as well as it should have.

Lan Sluder of BelizeFirst.com

C
C
Feelings about why that is Lan?

*Namaste*
Cara
It offers little or no incentive or benefits to retirees in my opinion. Permanent resident status was better before now you are a permanent visitor?

C
C2C
C2C
C
The QRP offers duty-free entry of a significant amount of goods. That's a huge incentive for many. And given the obvious variability in interpretations about working under the QRP, it's further incentive for some.

S
S
A permanently temporary situation.....

C
C
I definitely get the point about being a permanent visitor. Something I have tossed around in my own personal considerations. Not sure that works for me on a few levels.

*Namaste*
Cara
Excuse my (monumental) ignorance but you'all confuse me. Temporary permanent? I know the QPR program. I understand the advantages and I see few take advantage. So downside must be? Implementation via official skullduggery? Like the oxymoron, this is your government and we're here to help you? Or is it that once you get there your USA reflexes about being first in line melt away in the warm sun (we have hot sun here in AZ) and everyone takes a 2 o'clock siesta and says what the heck tomorrows another day, I think I'll have a beer now? Just trying to understand a foreign culture with 71% of my fellow USA'ites dominating QPR.

N
N
The QRP works very well indeed for me as a Brit! I dont want to work here and a requirement to be here only a minimum of a month a year, a relatively small annual investment (which we comfortably exceed given our enjoyment of the entertainment on AC)and a clean police record seems a pretty low theshold for local residential and tax status! I just think that the progamme is just not advertised well enough around the world - we, for instance, just stumbled on it some 10 years ago.

C
C2C
C2C
C
Originally Posted by Tagurrit
I know the QPR program.

Of course you do. QRP...Qualified Retired Person.

So downside must be?

Some of it is paperwork, some of it is the lack of options (no route to PR or citizenship) e.g., the permanent "temporaryness" and need for renewal, and some could be just poor planning ("Gee, if only...").

Just trying to understand a foreign culture with 71% of my fellow USA'ites dominating QPR.

It's 71% of QRP'ers who are "USA'ites" by the chart, not the other way around. Far more opt to remain as tourists, renewing their visas monthly, or go for PR.

I see. Well thank you for explaining why it isn't more widely used.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 356 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.