Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44408 10/03/01 06:28 PM
M
OP Offline
M
My fiance and I are going to AC the first week in December. We're getting our open water dive certification this weekend! We'll be staying at Ramon's which offers a dive package. Has anyone dived with Ramon's? Are they good with novices? Or would it be better to go with someplace like Barefoot, which I've read so much about in this very helpful forum?

#44409 10/04/01 01:39 PM
D
D
My wife and I have dove with both Ramon's and Barefoot.Both are competent. Ramon's uses smaller boats to go to the reef which requires you to do a backroll entry.They do have a 42' pro dive boat ( The Miss Gina which you see in thier adds) but in my experience is only used for the outer atolls and the Blue Hole. Barefoot has only big boats for diving and there is a lot of room for gearing up before a dive.Also they have a dive platform so you can do a giant stride entry if you prefer.This link will take you to thier website www.barefootwatersports.net
and if you e-mail them they may be able to put a package together. Good Luck and Dive Safe!

#44410 10/04/01 08:15 PM
S
S
My husband and I got certified last July with Gilberto from Ramons. We felt very comfortable with him. He took all necessary precautions. I know that there are so many qualified dive instructors that those who frequent this board can tell you about. If you decide to use Ramons, I wouild reccommend using Gilberto.

#44411 10/05/01 08:27 AM
B
BC Offline
B
Ramon's has a excellant dive operations as do most of the other dive operators on AC.
When you get down there, you can check out the other operators and see first hand which one will work the best for you. That way you are not locked into one that doesn't fit your style of diving.
Have a get time, wish I was going.

#44412 10/05/01 11:59 AM
MOON DREAM

If you are already booked at Ramon's why not dive with them too. They are as qualified as any other place. As everyone who reads this board knows, I always promote Ched. However, since you are newly certified, will be staying right there and can spend some time hanging out at the dive shop, I suggest you seriously consider doing this.
You can learn a lot this way, they can learn a lot about you and after each dive/day, adjustments can be made.
I know you will be back to San Pedro for more diving (it's kind of addicting). So use this trip as a base, walk around, get to know people but don't worry about getting the best "DEAL" on this trip.
One last tip: I would urge you to not go off on your own, follow the dive master. S/he will show you the best there is where you are.
HOWEVER, follow does not mean "CLING" The biggest mistake new divers make (and I did too) is staying to bunched up, kicking each other, stirring up the bottom, etc. Ten to 20 feet to one side or behind is still following.
HAVE FUN.
Harriette

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
#44413 10/11/01 06:06 AM
D
D
We just returned from AC and had a wonderful week at Ramon's. The dive masters are GREAT! We took our 15 year old with us that just got certified and they were GREAT with her. I would strongly recommend Ramon's to anyone that dives. They pay special attention to everyone and make sure that you don't repeat sites during your stay even if you don't dive every day. I can't say enough about them. You've made a good choice!

#44414 10/11/01 08:32 AM
We use Amigos Del Mar Dive Shop. They put together a package for seven days of diving - never in the same place twice. You can go with a group or have a private dive.
Belize it!

#44415 10/15/01 05:08 PM
J
JMK Offline
J
My vote would be for Ramon's. Ask for Carlos-I dove with him for a week back in August. It was only my 2nd time diving and he made me feel completely safe and comfortable which really helped me enjoy the diving. I'm sticking with him for all my AC dives... and I plan to go back for many more!!!

#44416 10/15/01 05:08 PM
J
JMK Offline
J
My vote would be for Ramon's. Ask for Carlos-I dove with him for a week back in August. It was only my 2nd time diving and he made me feel completely safe and comfortable which really helped me enjoy the diving. I'm sticking with him for all my AC dives... and I plan to go back for many more!!!

#44417 10/15/01 08:10 PM
Here's a tip. If your a recently certified diver and have not dove in the salt before, don't think less of yourself for first doing a snorkle dive at Shark/Ray Alley. It's a great time and it will get you accostomed to the vastness of the Sea, which was overwhelming for this mid-westerner. It will also get you used to diving in saltwater. I'd suggest a dive with Lil Alfonse to Sharkray Alley a must for the first timer.

Gone fishing!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.