Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Have any of you built sinks and/or counter tops with concrete

I am trying to build an envioronmmentally sound house and want to use as much natural materials as possible.

There are forms available that can be used over and over but they are too pricey for one time use.

Please share your knowledge, ideas, opinions, etc. I'm very open to learning.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Counter tops should be fairly easy right? A form with wood? I obviously don't have any knowledge of construction, but seems to me that it would be the same as building any concrete wall, only not as deep and form to specs?

Change your Latitude
Didn't Fidos do this to their bar last year, or was it earlier this year?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

A
A
I use 3/4" plywood or Plycem blanks, with 3" wide build up screwed and glued on edges to make it 1&1/2" thick, then cover it with tile.
If that's not hard enough, Google is a wonderful thing!
How to Build a Concrete Countertop : How-To : DIY Network
www.diynetwork.com/how...build-a-concrete-countertop/index.html
DIY remodeling expert Paul Ryan shows how to build and install a custom designed concrete countertop.
Comments - Materials and Tools - Videos - Products
Building Concrete Countertops with Buddy Rhodes - YouTube
► 5:33► 5:33

www.youtube.com/watch?v=imppzBYinp829 Mar 2007 - 6 min - Uploaded by concretedecor
A step by step guide to fabricating beautiful concrete countertops by hand.
How to Make a Concrete Counter Top in Place � Ron Hazelton Online
► 6:23► 6:23

www.ronhazelton.com/.../how_to_make_a_concrete_c...24 Jan 2012 - 6 min
Use an existing vanity or base cabinet to create your own concrete counter top.
More videos for build concrete countertops �

Building Sinks for Concrete Countertops-ConcreteNetwork.com ...
► 5:26► 5:26

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP8NJojqXLE24 Apr 2008 - 5 min - Uploaded by cntelevision
http://www.concretenetwork.com Tips on using foam sink knockouts to create openings in concrete ...
Making a Concrete Countertop with Sink- Complete Steps - YouTube
► 11:07► 11:07

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObtkY7gK0EY13 Nov 2011 - 11 min - Uploaded by ExpressionsLTD
In this video we show making a few countertop pieces, some with foam ... Building Sinks for Concrete ...
Concrete Casting: How to Make a Concrete Sink Mold - YouTube
► 8:16► 8:16

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ9lgZ3V90o11 Feb 2008 - 8 min - Uploaded by SmoothOnInc
Casting a reproduction concrete sink basin by making a 2-par... ... Use melamine board (formica coated) to ...
Tribe One Customs - Concrete Counter Tops, Bars, Sinks, Furniture ...
► 3:38► 3:38

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r80ZuDnEsI28 Aug 2009 - 4 min - Uploaded by tribeonecustoms
Tribe One Customs - Concrete Counter Tops, Bars, Sinks, Furniture .... Concrete Sink Molds - Create your ...

EASY?? not if done well. Concrete counters and sinks are fragile (subject to cracking) and stain easily.
Properly done they are gorgeous, but they are not very easy to do well and they may not be the most practical things.
Best book I have seen on the whole process is by Taunton Press - should be available online. Title is (I think) Concrete Counters and Sinks. They have step by step explanations and a ton of incredible designs.

M
M
Its fairly common in Mexico we use white cement and shells and polish it with different grit stones and a grinder. You can add various colors. You can cast the sink too but they are very hard on dishes, you break a lot of stuff. You can make a nice countertop with polished concrete and a stainless steel sink. Concrete needs to be HARD to polish well.

Good Morning Harriette....We just had a beautiful concrete bar with a high gloss black top built......It has Octagon style design at the edges as per our request.....The builder used the concrete blocks as forms with a small wood form frame for the bar top.....If you're in the area send me a note I'd be happy to show it to you....

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
OP Offline
Thanks for all the feedback. I have scoured the internet for information and learned a lot. Most recently I read that concrete is not practicle for kitchen sinks as it scratches and stains easily. However, it supposedly is great for bathroom sinks.
I'm going to stain the entire floor and polish it to a high gloss finish. I think counter tops will be rather simple to pour in place. My only indecision is about sinks.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
make sure you also ospo rebar and vibrate concrete to bring excess water to the surface to make super hard and no cracking

M
M
We dont vibrate that. Over vibration separates the aggregate. Water is absorbed through chemical reaction. If you put too much water it will NEVER get hard enough regardless of anything else you do. we dont put steel in it either.

Last edited by Mike Campbell; 08/12/12 09:10 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.