Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Draft is 18 �" with the drive up and 37" with it down.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
O
Oceana Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
I looked up the Cobalts on the web - very pretty boats!
Hate to burst your bubble but they just don't look suitable for this environment.

Diane-

Please explain why?

O
Oceana Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by gkyle
My two cents. That Cobalt, one fine ride. I live in the sunny south where anything goes, from charters to bass trackers. Got to thinking about buying a boat and for the life of me I couldn't figure out who would want an ugly "panga, mexican skiff or equal". Well,it didn't take long for me to figure, they fit the "lay of the land", flexible in depth changes, which you will find inside the reef, wind,tide changes and the list goes on and on, for me anyway. I have a 24 ft with a 90 honda. I can go anywhere, even outside the reef, weather permiting. The inability to trim the motor would be huge in my book. Just look around. Go to captain sharks boat yard (that's where I keep mine. And shall I mention security. Like I said, just my two cents

I do realize that it may not be perfect for the conditions. We plan to do some open-water cruising, as well. With my draft, I will not be able to just beach it, which is OK. I don't mind getting wet.

We really like the comfort of a bowrunner, as opposed to a skiff, which look great for fishing (which I don't do) and standing. If there are boats that are local that match mine in terms of reasonable seating, cruising, etc., I would be all eyes!

Last edited by Oceana; 08/24/12 03:20 PM.
B
B
If you need the vessel for transportation the Mexican high bow is the driest skiff around.
Some days when you have no choice but to travel in the sea to town or wherever a bow-rider or a bass boat is no fun at all. I took my kid to school by boat for years and some days it just plain sucked. Making that trip in a sport boat would have been nasty.

P
P
You might want to talk to the folks at El Secreto. They have 3 similar boats.

Originally Posted by Oceana
Hate to burst your bubble but they just don't look suitable for this environment.

Diane-

Please explain why?

Before coming here I'd used a rowboat to go out on inland lakes in Michigan and flipped over a few canoes but that was about it. We moved to a place 5 miles north of San Pedro and for many years the only mode of transport was by boat. We learned some hilarious lessons, and some expensive ones as well adapting to this new way of getting around. After 20 years I've owned quite a few boats, and have driven a few I did not own. None have been larger commercial ones, none with two engines, but I have come to feel like a decent captain in this limited environment. Given that background, here is my advice - take it in context, and enjoy your move to Belize!

Center consoles are what most folks want here because the boat weight balances better - I think that your boat is like a car with a driver sitting on one side of the boat. I had one like that and because I often traveled in it solo I ended up carrying some cement blocks in it to place on the "passenger" side for balance.

Having the option to comfortably stand rather than sit low in a chair to drive the boat is also a good thing - being forced to sit low whist going through chop is hard on the lower back.
Driving a former water-ski boat with a snazzy bucket seat, followed by a whaler with a low-height console and a "chair" taught me this one.

Windshields get taken off most boats around here pretty quickly (on purpose) - they get foggy really fast and block the view. Owning three boats outfitted windshields taught me this one.

For whatever reason, pretty much every small-boat with an inboard that comes into the area ends up not working out for the owner. Having never had an inboard I can't personally tell you why they fail, but looking around here you won't see many on the water. This is purely observation - no personal experience.

Inside the reef, going up and down the eastern shore of the island is perhaps the most common route we travel. Should you also do this, you will find that you are running abeam to the seas much of the time. Depending on how deep your v-hull is, you can end up with the current grabbing the deeper hull and pitching you to an uncomfortable angle - into the waves. This makes for a wet ride, and difficulty steering. Unfortunately this happens when the water is at its roughest, when it's nice to have more not less control of your boat.
Owning a somewhat higher end Pursuit taught me this one. I have no idea if this is a part of the design of your boat, but with such a deep draft I am thinking it may be a factor for you.

I now own a McKee craft - shallow draft, hard to park/tie up (without damage to the boat) due to corners on the front, but with most of the rest of the problem areas eliminated. Rough ride in heavy chop but a dry boat, fast and easy to handle. I find it hits 80% of my wants and needs list which for a multi-purpose boat is pretty good.

Try to get a self-bailing boat if possible - in some of our heavier rains the auto bilge can run your battery down to nothing, and sometimes they get seaweed or something stuck in them --- a sunken boat is a real bummer. We seem to have three or four boat-sinker rains a year. If you are able to have a boat-lift then this is not a worry, but most of us don't have them for whatever reason.

Boats are holes in the water into which you pour money - but they sure are fun. Just hoping you get the right one for the circumstances. Looking around you see more panga-style boats than anything - they were designed by the Mexican Navy for waters such as our own --- looking back, had I used my head I'd have gotten one of those, but I think we buy boats with our hearts not our heads.

Wow, Diane. I am impressed. That is some great advice backed up by reasoning, the best kind, from experience.

O
Oceana Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by Oceana

Diane-

Please explain why?

Before coming here I'd used a rowboat to go out on inland lakes in Michigan and flipped over a few canoes but that was about it. We moved to a place 5 miles north of San Pedro and for many years the only mode of transport was by boat. We learned some hilarious lessons, and some expensive ones as well adapting to this new way of getting around. After 20 years I've owned quite a few boats, and have driven a few I did not own. None have been larger commercial ones, none with two engines, but I have come to feel like a decent captain in this limited environment. Given that background, here is my advice - take it in context, and enjoy your move to Belize!

Center consoles are what most folks want here because the boat weight balances better - I think that your boat is like a car with a driver sitting on one side of the boat. I had one like that and because I often traveled in it solo I ended up carrying some cement blocks in it to place on the "passenger" side for balance.

Having the option to comfortably stand rather than sit low in a chair to drive the boat is also a good thing - being forced to sit low whist going through chop is hard on the lower back.
Driving a former water-ski boat with a snazzy bucket seat, followed by a whaler with a low-height console and a "chair" taught me this one.

Windshields get taken off most boats around here pretty quickly (on purpose) - they get foggy really fast and block the view. Owning three boats outfitted windshields taught me this one.

For whatever reason, pretty much every small-boat with an inboard that comes into the area ends up not working out for the owner. Having never had an inboard I can't personally tell you why they fail, but looking around here you won't see many on the water. This is purely observation - no personal experience.

Inside the reef, going up and down the eastern shore of the island is perhaps the most common route we travel. Should you also do this, you will find that you are running abeam to the seas much of the time. Depending on how deep your v-hull is, you can end up with the current grabbing the deeper hull and pitching you to an uncomfortable angle - into the waves. This makes for a wet ride, and difficulty steering. Unfortunately this happens when the water is at its roughest, when it's nice to have more not less control of your boat.
Owning a somewhat higher end Pursuit taught me this one. I have no idea if this is a part of the design of your boat, but with such a deep draft I am thinking it may be a factor for you.

I now own a McKee craft - shallow draft, hard to park/tie up (without damage to the boat) due to corners on the front, but with most of the rest of the problem areas eliminated. Rough ride in heavy chop but a dry boat, fast and easy to handle. I find it hits 80% of my wants and needs list which for a multi-purpose boat is pretty good.

Try to get a self-bailing boat if possible - in some of our heavier rains the auto bilge can run your battery down to nothing, and sometimes they get seaweed or something stuck in them --- a sunken boat is a real bummer. We seem to have three or four boat-sinker rains a year. If you are able to have a boat-lift then this is not a worry, but most of us don't have them for whatever reason.

Boats are holes in the water into which you pour money - but they sure are fun. Just hoping you get the right one for the circumstances. Looking around you see more panga-style boats than anything - they were designed by the Mexican Navy for waters such as our own --- looking back, had I used my head I'd have gotten one of those, but I think we buy boats with our hearts not our heads.

Thanks, Diane, wonderful and insightful post. I appreciate the comments and thoughts.

To hit a couple of the spots: yes, we will have a winch. Yes, the boat is self-bailing. Boat has pilot stand, 3/4 stand and sit capabilities. I know that it can be a bit of a rough ride. I am going to bring it down and see how it goes. Worst case, I send it back to Houston and sell it to someone there.

Understand about the deep hole concept-my wife competes in professional equestrian and we have 3 Thoroughbreds.

S
S
The points noted by Diane are very true especially the side wave factor which makes a bowrider a horrible boat to have on Ambergris Caye. Using the boat in Placencia (depending on where you're going) isn't so much of an issue as you will likely not be side on as much.

The areas you travel will have the same restrictions as a low draft sailboat so the back side could be tricky. It will take you years to learn where you can and can't go (it's not like we have real charts to work with). Even the front side of the island is not a point and go. Anyone coming down with their own boat would be well off to hire a local captain to drive it for them for any trip they haven't done several times so they can at least learn some of the waters and avoid the unmarked coral heads and shoals.

Better to sell the bowrider and buy a nice lanchon when you get down here.

Lots of talk about the hull design not being practical, there also is the concern about availability of parts for the engine. Not that engines ever need parts, especially in Belize. wink

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 115 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.