Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

2 hours 50 minutes, Channel 5 live coverage of CARNIVAL 2012

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Belize Jouvert 2012 - Making the Mud!

This is about a Belizean by the name of Marsha Smith who is the only person in the country of Belize who can make the special mud that is used in Jouvert, the large street party which is celebrated at 5am on the morning of the Carnival Festival each year in September.

WATCH THE VIDEO NOW TO FIND OUT THE SECRET ON HOW TO MAKE THE SPECIAL MUD:

Photo credit: JC Cuellar
http://www.jccuellar.com

Jouvert in Belize is celebrated at 5am on the morning of the Carnival with massive crowds following a truck hauling gigantic speaker systems pumping out Carnival Rythms and whipping the people into a dancing fever while pasting each other with specially prepared mud by Ms. Marsha Smith. People from around the world travel to Belize to partake in Jouvert.

Often not mentioned is the process of making the special mud used in the Belize Jouvert, the precursor to Belize Carnival. Ms. Marsha Smith is the only woman in Belize who knows how to specially prepare the mud and has closely gaurded her secret of making the smooth, silky and colorful mud that is used in Belize's Jouvert.

Today I caught up with Ms. Marsha Smith who took us through the the process of making the special mud used in Jouvert, keeping in mind some steps were ommited to gaurd her secret.

Ms. Marsha Smith's sterilized mud has been used in hotels and resorts spas for massages.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
The Carnival Jouvert kicked off this morning at five am in front of the San Cas Plaza and proceeded on the streets of Belize City. However, the mud parade ended in a sad note for a family who is now looking for the body of their loved one, a minor, who apparently drowned in the Belize River under the Belcan Bridge. It is alleged that after the Jouvert this morning the minor jumped into the river and did not resurface. The Belize Coast Guard was in the area searching for the body with the assistance of members of the community. There is no word up to this to indicate whether the body has been retrieved.

LOVEFM

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The mud and chocolate of Jouvert 2012

This year's Jouvert turned out to be a huge event; in fact Jouvert has grown immensely and as many as three thousand are estimated to have participated in the revelry, which precedes the road march. Bright and early on Saturday morning the crowd descended on the San Cas Plaza where the event kicked off. The revelers showered with mud and chocolate and Duane Moody was in the thick of things.

And they were off: just before dawn, at five a.m. sharp, a record number of persons, some estimate up to three thousand gathered near the Belcan Bridge in the Old Capital ready to dance through the streets of the City in the fifth edition of Jouvert. Women and men, adults and minors all covered in special mud-and some in chocolate-joined in the bacchanal that ended at the Plaza.

Karen Vernon

"Jouvert this morning, we started off at the wee hours at five o’clock in the morning and we know a lot of people don't get up at that time but as you could see this morning the San Cas Plaza was very crowded and of course Coco Devils brought up the rear. We had minor problems initially with our sound system, but we got it together and we did the road."

Duane Moody

"About two thousand people you'd say came out? Bigger than last year?"

Karen Vernon

Karen Vernon

"I would say even more than that. When I checked the San Cas Plaza before we started, both sides of the road was filled with people waiting for mud, waiting for the truck, waiting for everything to come about."

Duane Moody

"We're here; it's been over an hour of nonstop dancing and partying through the streets of Belize City for Jouvert 2012. You know carnival is just hours away but everyone is hype. You know young and old everybody came out for the carnival Jouvert 2012. I am here with a traffic officer, even here. She got mud on her."

Traffic Officer

"Mein wah whole crowd ah my daughter dehn just muddy me up and it's fun. It's fun and we had to work so we enjoy it."

Duane Moody

"Tell us about the excitement leading up to the carnival road march. Are you excited?"

Traffic Officer

"Oh I am so excited because I’m working the carnival today also."

Duane Moody

"Okay, tell us about the Jouvert; is this the most you've seen since it started?"

Traffic Officer

"Yes, we always do the Jouvert and this is the largest crowd we've ever seen."

Duane Moody

The Jouvert is a prelude of what was to come later that afternoon in the Carnival Road March 2012. And Organizer, Karen Vernon, says the Jouvert has become a tradition over the past five years and it is getting bigger and better.

Duane Moody

"Why is this important? You know everybody coming out, young and old, and going out there putting their all out in the street hours before carnival?"

Karen Vernon

"I think, as you noticed, it has gotten to be a tradition in Belize now. I’m not sure how many years it has been happening but as the years go by it has been getting bigger and bigger and bigger. And you know we have developed our own traditions like for example, when Jouvert is finished, a lot of people jump into the river off Belcan Bridge. So that has become a tradition for Belize. But I mean it's about Coco Devils; this morning chocolate, full throttle energy drink and we're good to go. We ready for the carnival this afternoon."

Lynn Lalu, a Belizean living abroad, participated for the first time in a Jouvert and says she will take the experience back home.

Lynn Lalu

Lynn Lalu

"This is my first Jouvert. Thanks to Karen, I enjoyed it and I will make my own tradition and try to be here every year for this. The one thing that I liked was that there was no violence. I am probably older than most of the kids that I was partying with and they were very decent and I enjoyed that very much."

Duane Moody

"Obviously you’re going to take back this experience to the US�."

Lynn Lalu

"Oh, I can't wait to tell everybody in South Florida and in New York-all my New York fans and friends-how wonderful this experience was for me."

Duane Moody for News Five.

Channel 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 330 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.