Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bear Offline OP
OP Offline
I've been looking at the specs on the new iPhone 5. For those of you who own an iPhone and swap SIMs back and forth when travelling from the States to Belize and vice versa, the newest iPhone now uses a smaller SIM card. The standard BTL SIM card they sold you isnt going to fit in a iP5. Technically speaking the iPhone5 uses a nano-SIM which is smaller than the micro-SIM typically used by BTL. You might want to inquire if BTL has this smaller SIM card size if youre considering an upgrade to an iPhone5.

If they dont already I suspect that the nano-SIMs are not likely to be immediately available, if at all, simply because of the low number of iPhones used in Bz. I'm checking with BTL.

Oh yes, the new iPhone has changed its connector to the "Lightning" 8 pin connector" over the legacy 30 pin. Adaptor will be avalaible for docking devices etc.

Last edited by Bear; 09/14/12 12:15 PM. Reason: de-geek

crazy Scratching my head - was that in English?

Bear Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry Diane I guess that was pretty much geekspeak for the techies out there...

The little card that BTL sells people to put in their phone that can be topped off with minutes?? They will fit and work in the earlier iPhones after a bit of trimming, but even trimmed down they wont fit in an iPhone 5. Better?

S
S
Currently the standard BTL SIM doesn't fit into an iPhone/iPad, you have to cut it down size using a SIM cutter. The new SIM is even smaller and I can't see BTL start using the Nano size for a highly limited market.

You likely could use the Verizon iPhone5 with SMART (I use a Verizon iPad with SMART).

Bear Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Simon, I forgot about needing to trim the standard Btl SIM for an iPhone. I've edited the second, simpler post, to reflect that.

Thanks Bear - as a practicing Luddite, I greatly appreciate the simplicity of your second post.
:-)

Originally Posted by SimonB
Currently the standard BTL SIM doesn't fit into an iPhone/iPad, you have to cut it down size using a SIM cutter. The new SIM is even smaller and I can't see BTL start using the Nano size for a highly limited market.
You likely could use the Verizon iPhone5 with SMART (I use a Verizon iPad with SMART).

Simon, I got the iphone 4 and dropped into the BTL office. He took my old STM out cut it down in about 2 sec. and I walked out in less than a min. with all my old SIM in my new phone, no charge.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
S
S
iPhone 4's are no problem. The iPhone 5 is totally different and you can't cut down the chip.

Bear Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
Thanks Bear - as a practicing Luddite, I greatly appreciate the simplicity of your second post.
:-)

Have Luddites? will travel... cool

I also added an edit to that post to reflect Simon's contributions

S
S
Sherz on back street has an iPhone 5 up and running with a BTL chip she modified. She is taking orders for factory unlocked iPhone 5's arriving soon (I don't know price).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.