Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
OP Offline
F
I want to bring a 10' inflatable boat and merc 9.9 outboard with me. Does anyone know if you need a captains license or boating license for such a small craft?

R
ron Offline
R
yes you need a captains license for all motorized water craft.

I think the boat will also need to be licensed, but of that I am not 100% sure - that part is not too difficult to accomplish if you do need to do it.

I was wondering about this the other day,
Is it ok to be in the lagoons in an inflatable with all the crocs around?
ACES???

F
OP Offline
F
Thanks for the answers guys. Would really love to bring this little boat for the three months Ill be there this year. Any ideas on the cost and details of captains licence and boat registration? I want to use the boat to go into town but want to be legal as i will be going past the port authority. Never had a boat here so thanks anyone for your help.

How many times a week do you plan on going to town?

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
As i recall you either need to own property or be a permanent resident to obtain a captains license

R
ron Offline
R
To get a captains license you need to own property and/or be a permanent resident. You have to pass a 20 question written exam. Then you take a practical exam where you demonstrate your ability to drive a boat. To register a boat you take it to the BPA and they inspect its seaworthiness and whether you have the proper safety equipment, including life vests for all passengers, navigation lights, flares, and a first aid kit. There are probably a few that I missed but you can find that out from the manual given out by BPA. In San Pedro their office is way to the south at the end of the road.

D
D
My husband got his Captain's license and registration for his cataraft when we were down last January. It took several trips down south and a few emails back home for additional paperwork, but he managed to do it. He was patient and polite, and they worked with him to get it done. They did offer to help him find a real boat when they saw that cataraft! Good luck!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.