Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

In the first half of 1939 we only had one hundred dollar bill and two fifty dollar bill in circulation.

$1.00 in 1939 had the same buying power as $16.12 in 2012.

Annual inflation over this period was 3.88%.

http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm

so, $16.12 x 2 = 32.24..... which means a Bz $100 would be worth $3,224

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from a friend....

I remember as a child, I passed a place on Cemetery Road. It was the home of the Lyons who were third cousins to us. They were pretty rich. At the time, they owned the undertaking business, a leather tanning business, a lemonade factory, a bakery and some bee hives and other stuff.

The bee hives were on Cemetery Road in front of where Mike's Spare Parts is located now. I was passing one day and saw a purse on top of one of the hives. I opened it and saw more money than I had ever seen in my life. Probably more than I seen since then. I took out one twenty and ran.

Well, that is where the adventure began. I could find nowhere to spend this money. In fact, a while before that, I had tried to spend a fifty cents and the store owner had contacted my aunt with whom I was raised, to ask where I had gotten it from. And this was not a store close to where I lived either.

Anyway, I kept that twenty for quite some time and one day I was sent to the store by my aunt to buy some cheese. There were two shops where I could get the cheese, and I remembered that one was a few cents cheaper than the other which was a little farther away. I decided to go the extra distance to the cheaper store and save a few pennies which I spent to buy some plums, even before getting to the store.

Well! Murphy being the son of a bitch that he is, I got to the cheaper store only to find it closed. I was up shit's creek because the next store would not let me have it for less. I decided to go home and tell them that I lost the money. I figured I would get a whipping and that would be it. It wasn't.

I got a whipping alright but was then sent back to look for the money and not come back until I found it. That of course was impossible so I decided that this would be a good time to use my twenty.

I retrieved it from the place where I had hidden it well and went home confident that all would be forgiven. I told my aunt that I could not find her money but had found a twenty instead.

Folks, I am telling you no lie. Would you believe that...that....(ah she is dead now so let me not be disrespectful), but she beat me again and told me that she did not want that twenty, (though she kept it), she wanted the money that she sent me with.

I was sent back up the street to look once more for the money I had lost, which I think was about two bucks at most.

I don't remember how the epidose finally ended but that part I remember distinctly and that was my experience with big money during that time.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from a friend....

Shortly after Hurricane Hattie, circa 1962 or 1963, we were staying with my Aunt Hazel on Pickstock Street next to the America Club.

My aunt gave my little brother Alfonso, who was about 5 at the time, a nickle to go to Blankie's on Pickstock Street and buy a piece of blue. Those of you old enough will know what "blue" was. For those that don't know, it's what we used to whiten clothes back then.

Well, like GMike did, Fonso decided to spend 1 cent to buy a piece of sweet before buying the blue. Blue was 2 cents back then. As it turns out, Blankie didn't have any blue and Fonso didn't know where else to go. So he ends up with 4 cents in his hand and no blue.

So he gets back to Aunt Hazel's house with 4 cents in his hand and tells her that Blankie didn't have any blue. When she asked him how come he didn't have the 5 cent, he looked at her and without missing a beat, told her that a little brown dog chased him, he "bucked" his toe while running, the 5 cent fell out of his hand and he could only find four cents.

Needless to say, Aunt Hazel didn't play. He got his ass whipped. And that was the type of con-artist my dear departed brother Alfonso was all his life. He left us on 28 Sep 2005 at age 47.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.