Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#448240 10/07/12 10:33 AM
Wayne-o Offline OP
OP Offline
We stayed at a place called Rum Point many years ago.I think it has been sold or changed names does anyone know if it is still a lodge and what the new name may be.If not what are similar options for us .Thanks
Can you give us clue as to how much the town and area may have changed since 2001 i.e new develpments roads things do do places to eat etc.

Wayne-o #448248 10/07/12 12:14 PM
Rum Point was one of the early resorts on the peninsula. It was opened back in 1974 by George and Corol Bevier. Rum Point was sold and closed some years ago -- can't remember exactly but I'd say 2005 or maybe 2006, after George Bevier's death. The buyer was going to build a big new resort on the site but it hasn't happened.

The biggest change is that the road from the Southern Highway is now beautifully paved. That and the major construction at The Placencia Hotel & Residences and environs at the north end of the peninsula. Lots of new restaurants, some new hotels.

Wayne-o #448250 10/07/12 12:38 PM
Further ... on the question of where to stay: There's nothing really like the old Rum Point Inn with its concrete igloos and classic old colonial lodge building, or for that matter like my old favorite Kitty's.

For luxury the top place is Frances Ford Coppola's Turtle Inn. For upscale condos, Chabil Mar Villas or the condo suites at Inn at Robert's Grove (under new ownership). For mid-scale, I'd say Laru Beya, which are condos next door to Robert's Grove.

The closest thing to what Kitty's used to be is probably Maya Beach Hotel. There also are some nice small places with a couple of cottages on the beach like Maine Stay and Barnacle Bill's, plus some tried-and-true places in Placencia village like Ranguana and Westwind.

For food, the Bistro at Maya Beach Hotel is absolutely terrific, one of the best restaurants in Belize. La Dolce Vita and Secret Garden, both in the village, are very good. Also Rumfish y Vino. Tutti-Fruiti has some of the best gelato in the world, much less Central America.

Wayne-o #448313 10/08/12 02:08 PM
I miss Kitty's Place. That was classic Belize. Now just anothert condo place.

Barbara K #448349 10/08/12 11:23 PM
T
T
This past June, we had the absolute pleasure of staying at A Belizean Nirvana. Evan, the owner/manager, is very kind, friendly, and helpful. His place is spotless and the staff is outstanding. The beautiful (and spotlessly clean) rooms sit right on a clean, combed section of beach. This was our first visit to Placencia...too short! We will definitely return to the cute village on our next year's trip to Belize and we will definitely stay at A Belizean Nirvana again too!

Wayne-o #448426 10/09/12 08:49 PM
I never thought I'd see the day when a room -- even a deluxe suite -- in Placencia _Village_ was over US$400 a night at peak times. Truly amazing!

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 236 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.