Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#448433 10/09/12 10:21 PM
OP Offline
This thread is for NORTH ISLAND RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS OWNERS ONLY: Everyone else need not read.

I have just returned from a patrol of the North Road. Much of the road is passable, some water over the road in places but still drivable. It gets dicey around the Mata Grande area and you cannot continue much past Portofinos.

Many of the larger properties with maintenance staff have been filling the low areas where the lagoon floods over the road or where there are sink holes with seagrass.

Seagrass is a horrible road filling material. Once it decays it turns to mud. I was buried right to the axles in about 2 feet of rotting seagrass. It took me and security from Perle del Caribe over 2 hours and lots of digging to get the patrol unit out.

Had it not been for the seagrass mud bogs along the road, I would have been able to make it all the way to my destination at Palmero Point.

I would ask the owners of these properties to inform thier staff to stop filling the road with seagrass.

Although it may seem like a good temporary fix, It does more harm than good.

We have gotten the road in fairly good shape all the way up to Las Terazzas. Town council has brought in and spread 2 barge loads of hardcore on the road. One barge load was used just to raise the road from the bridge to the end of Reef Village.

I will speak to the Mayor again next Month about hardcore and culverts for the low points in key areas past Mata Grande.

For the moment, Please stop filling the road with Seagrass.

Thank You.

Dan
Homeland Security
North Island Safety & Security Administration.

Update:
North Island Master Security plan will be ready November 20th.

B
B
Lets get the road fixed from the cloisters to the palapa bar first.

OP Offline
All part of the plan smile however, most of the road far north is impassable, mostly because of this seagrass issue. We need the road passable for emergency service vehicles.

B
B
Capn---this is a post from 2007--nothing has changed as far a GOB is concerned.
The road is still private property and until it is Gazetted by the GOB nothing changes

-----My trained eye and 30 years commercial construction experience say the bridge would have a 15 ton rating for a single axle truck.
That would be a 10 ton rating in the states as they use a 'cover your ass' safety factor.
As I have stated before, The GOB has no roads north of the bridge. That is why the bridge had to be built with private funds.
Once you reach the north side of the bridge you are on easements or right of ways or just a path that someone put in to keep you outta their yard. It is nothing but a path cleared of vegetation.
No gravel--no swales--no crown--no culverts to divert water, etc. and it is a drama when it rains a lot--it is maintained by (well sort of) by the land owners along the way.
If a cop stops you tells you are breaking some traffic law or something tell the cop he is trespassing---'cause he is unless he is on the beach. Then he is on "Q. E.'s land and might have a case.
Bottom line--it's not a road
We whine and complain because we have to use "it" everyday rain or shine.
Don't bitch at the town board or the GOB because it won't help.
If we are patient and don't rag on certain resorts more than once in a while I believe free enterprise will turn this path into something that San Pedro wishes they had. (Am I subtle or what?).
And then what happens?
You got it.
TRAFFIC------

OP Offline
Everyone has their pros and cons for the road. you said the magic words, easements and right of ways. Now that the power lines are up, and the GOB owns BEL, well, I am sure some of the Real estate agents on the Island can pipe in on public utilities easments/right of ways and expropriation laws

As I understand it, if the power lines run through your property, you are what they call up a fecal infested creek without any means of propulsion.

I will be holding a public meeting around Christmas, (when there is a high concentration of North residents on the Island)where I will present a Master Security Plan for the North Island.

This plan has been several months in the making and was specifically designed for the North Island. It will address many of the concerns that you have brought up and much much more.

Until then, please stop filling the road with seagrass.

And I wouldn't run my mouth off to the cops. It's a good way to find yourself spending a night in jail.

Another comment - putting large chunks of concrete or old rebar, etc - not good for fill either.
Somehow the big stuff stays on the surface and is deadly to vehicles.

Oh boy a North Road Thread, we haven't had one in months!

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.