Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
S
In my house we have a policy - one way in and no way out. For those who need to steal a bike to go to work, that's the risk you take.....

D
D
Well, at least this spurred lively exchange!

My perspective is this; if the police and courts are unable or unwilling to adequately address the issue of theft, then people will become frustrated and tend to take matters into their own hands for better or worse.

A responsible means to deal with this is an adequately funded and professionally run system of justice with police, courts and corrections.

But you must add to this a social system with adequate opportunities for all. People with no hope for a nice lifestyle will justify getting it anyway they can.

Being a white middle class professional who grew up with successful parents, it would be easy to dismiss the plight of those less fortunate. But I have to recognize that hopelessness breeds desperation.

But still, if I caught someone stealing what I have worked hard for, I would not hesitate to do what I needed to do to recover my property. They could resist or comply with my demand to return it, the result would be of their choosing.

Karma- It's everywhere you're going to be.
P
P
Issues of poverty and desperation are real but.... most of these guys are drug addicts and are stealing to feed their addictions and not their families.

OP Offline
Poverty has little to do with the kind of thieving that goes on here. The things that are stolen are things that sell quickly; not something the thief needs.

Addicts will rob their own mother if they need their fix. If you don't believe me go to some narcotics anonymous meetings and listen to people who are in recovery and trying to clean up their past.

Once a person is addicted they owe their soul to their dealer. I'm told everyone, including the police, know who the dealers are and yet little is done about removing them from our midst. A lot of education is needed at all levels of society. I don't know if it is true or not but I have been told that any time a raid is planned on a crack house someone in the police department warns them so there is nothing there when the police show up. This is where a vigilante (or neighborhood watch) group could go in force and hold them and the evidence until the police are then notified and arrive.

If, instead of putting victimless crime perpetrators in jail where we feed and clothe them, maybe we should put bright orange vests on them and make them clean the beaches and streets and collect and sort the garbage. Make them visible -out where the public would see them. Then their families might try to get them help instead of covering up their behavior.

It's hard for me to tell a local who is hard working and finds no guilt in 'borrowing' his employers tools when corruption exists at the very highest level of most all the government departments; especially the police.

Change has to start at the top.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
D
D
As I have not yet been to Belize, I do not have personal knowledge of the situation there. How bad is the drug problem and are there unsafe areas for my wife and I to go?

Here at home, (south-central Michigan) it is indeed all over the place. I'm not talking about ganja; more like the hard-core addictive drugs like heroin, crack, meth and a whole host of new synthetics that we can't even test for yet. Like many, I'm starting to lean toward the position of legalizing marijuana and taxing it like tobacco. Then more attention can be given to these highly addictive life stealing drugs.

So, where on Ambergris Caye should we avoid?

D
D
Dive Sargeant, why have you not been to Belize yet ??? Get your butt down there.

R
R
The problems in San Pedro are relatively small. Petty theft, burglary and things of that sort are 99.9% of the crimes on tourist or expats. Personal injury or armed theft to tourist is rare. Yes it has happened but it is rare.

Advice; if you have kids don't let them wonder around at night and in the day time keep an eye on them. In any case for an adult or child nothing good happens after midnight and especially in off the beaten path, bars. These normal precautions will most likely keep you out of trouble and continue you to having a good time. Don't flash money or expensive jewelry, you get the idea?

Good luck and come down and have a good time. It is probably safer than a lot of cities in the good old USA. Like any place if you look for trouble you will find it.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
J
J
Good advice, Ragman! Common sense precautions need to be used anywhere one vacations and doesn't know the "lay of the land" yet.
Please come and give AC a chance to charm you as it has so many of us!
You're soooo welcome!

D
D
Originally Posted by doggirl
Dive Sargeant, why have you not been to Belize yet ??? Get your butt down there.

Got it all arranged for this coming March! Butt is heading down with the rest of me attached!

D
D
ragman,

Thanks! It sounds like any other island to which we have traveled. Use common sense, don't tempt fate, and enjoy the trip.

In all of our dozen or more trips, the only theft we've experienced was last year on Bonaire when someone liberated a pair of sunglasses from our truck while we were diving. And, down there, getting something heisted from your vehicle while diving is all just part of the true Bonaire Experience!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.