Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#448666 10/13/12 06:34 AM
OP Offline
I'm not trying to revisit the firestorm that surrounded the last dog eradication(ok, maybe a little)but I can tell you I have seen a vastly greater number of stray dogs in the last 2 weeks or so.EVERYWHERE. After the last eradication dogs were scarce for a while. I'm not sure what the numbers for the "roundup" were but apparently it was much less effective. For those of you that were so vehemently and violently opposed to the eradication(mostly people that don't live here)I have a solution. You should be required to adopt, care for, feed and control 3 dogs. Until then I believe it may be time to revisit a humane way to eliminate these animals...

S
S
"I'm not sure what the numbers for the "roundup" were but apparently it was much less effective."

If you're not sure then why don't you walk into SAGA and ask instead of coming to an uninformed conclusion?

If you do your research you'll find that eradication doesn't work and what you're seeing is the natural cycle that takes place after an eradication.

OP Offline
My informed conclusion is there are too many stray dogs.In your informed conclusion what would be a possible solution?

B
B
The round-ups are continuing. 73 dogs have already been euthanized over the past few months.

Please call SAGA and let them know where you are seeing an increase in stray dogs so that they can target the right areas. And Simon is right...SAGA would be glad to talk to you about it.

http://www.sanpedrosun.com/pets-ani...ent-dog-roundups-and-community-response/

To NoBody:

I see you re:gistered under this name in June.
I don't know where you are looking but I have a few observations myself.
There is not a pack of dogs on either side of the bridge.
As I drove through town yesterday I saw ONE (count it - 1) dog running loose.
I went to Dog Town to look at puppies - there are none. Also the south section is completely empty.
I have been asking around about puppies - no one has any.
I conclude that SAGA and the Town Board have done a wonderful job.
If you personally know of a stray why don't you either 1) capture and turn it in yourself or 2) call SAGA and ask them to do it?

On a personal note: Blackie was killed, slashed by a machete, in August. I am not accusing anyone nor finding fault. Blackie was a true Police Dog. He policed our neighborhood everyday and most of our neighbors loved him. I don't understand what it is about bicycle going fast that causes dogs to chase them. The dogs never seem to chase people who are just cruising. When people sped up the beach Blackie chased thme. We could not break him of this habit.
Pepe is getting old, had early stage heart worm and tic fever all of which he is being treated for. He's too old and tired to chase. LOL
Skippy has been adopted by my new neighbors and is being spoiled in her old age. With Blackie gone Skippy no longer chases although she does bark at intruders.
So here I am feeling naked and wanting a puppy. I know the right one will come to me in the right time but I also believe in the power of words and am putting out to the univer "I WANT A PUPPY."

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
S
S
My informed conclusion is that the only proven method of control is Spay/Neuter/Release in conjunction with educational programs(supported by studies). Eradication and Humane Euthanasia are just ineffective stop gap measures.

Simon:
You are rifht but if there is a hole in the dam you need to plug it until the water can be drained away. So to speak. We have had an excellent beginning and I think the education is starting to pay off.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
OP Offline
As I said, Everywhere. All over town, on the beach, north of the bridge(on the road between Capt. Morgan's and Coco Beach).Including the one that pissed on my cart on Front Street near the park. Including the 4 I saw together on the beach in front of Ruby's yesterday(from the looks of it 3 males and a female getting a lot of attention). So I know, is a pack more than 3? Does the date of my registering have some bearing on my observations? The TC has done an admirable job on this but it has to continue.

Harriette,

Please consider adopting an "older puppy" from Saga. There are many sweet dogs there currently ready and waiting for fur-ever homes. Some of these are still under a year old and are thus still puppies, just not the tiny puppy you may be dreaming of.

Dogs currently available for adoption at SAGA

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to Blackie. That is awful. As many times as I've ridden my bike by there, I was never chased. However, I don't think dogs should be running around without supervision -- it can only lead to problems.

And thanks for your response to NobodyYouKnow!

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
Most of the community, who live in San Pedro, oppose eradication. This is born out by the thousands of residents who signed a petition a few years ago to stop the previous Mayor from going down that road. SAGA and the Town Board have been working together to provide humane euthasnasia for strays in the last few months.

It seems Nobody You Know has some misinformation as he seems to believe that eradication done by the Town Council is humane. It is not. It is done with strychnine and even the WHO opposes this method of stray control as ineffective, bad for the environment and inhumane. This is exactly why the Town Council have teamed up with SAGA to provide a humane alternative and they have been very successful in doing so.

This is in great part due to the cooperation of members of the community, who now realise that rather than complain to the radio station or on message boards (neither of whom offer a stray collection service), the correct procedure is to contact SAGA, let them know where there are stray or nuisance dogs and follow up to make sure that the situation has been dealt with effectively. I would urge those who use the service to remember that SAGA receives no funding from local or national government to do this and relies entirely on donations. So, if this is a service you want (humane euthanasia of stray dogs) it is a service you should use and support.

I would urge Nobody You Know to do things that will actually help him with his issue and help the community by reporting stray dogs to SAGA. Complaining about them on the message board will not help in anyway.

I also happen to speak as someone who indeed has three dogs, so apparently this qualifies me. *cough*

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 273 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.