Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
OP Offline
G
My husband and I are planning a move to the Caribbean and Belize is on our short list. We just returned from a 2 week trip; we loved the country but have some concerns/questions and would greatly appreciate insights you all may have.

One big concern: ability to scuba dive several times a week without going bankrupt.

Background: We plan to start with a 6-9 month stay in San Pedro. Afterwards, we may decide to extend our stay, move within the country (e.g., Placencia), or move to somewhere else in the Caribbean. We plan to come in on a tourist visa which we would extend monthly, with an eye towards applying for residency if we decide to stay. We would rent rather than buy, both to maintain flexibility and to confirm we have the "right" location prior to making any purchase decisions. (We do not receive pensions, so QRP is probably off the table.)

The concern: We were considering buying/renting a boat locally to go diving, but I understand you cannot own a boat or obtain a Captain's license unless you're a resident or own property. We considered "hitching rides" with other divers who have boats, but I've read that you cannot go out with non-family members on their boat unless the Captain also has a Tour Operator's license, which is only available to Belizeans or citizens (not residents/property owners?). That appears to mean that our only option for diving is to go with a local commercial dive operator, until such time as we achieve resident status.

Do I have these facts correct? Is it possible to find local residents with a boat + a Tour Op license who would take a couple people out for inexpensive private trips to dive the reef? Diving is a primary reason for us wanting to move; but financial constraints will severely limit the number of dives we can do with a commercial dive op, unless they give very substantial discounts (~75%) to locals.

Thanks in advance for any advice/corrections/suggestions!

Do you realize how expensive gas is in Belize? Those costs are up there for a reason. Your assumptions are correct as to licensing and regulations. You can own a boat but no captains license without res or owning property.

S
S
Most people that live here and dive build a relationship with a local operator and go diving for a discount rates or possibly exchange of services (you own a restaurant I get to eat free each time you dive kind of thing). The more business you give and bring the better the discount you'll get, bring enough full pay guests and you'll end up diving for free.

We have a lot of residents and business owners that we're friends with and give deep discounts when they dive with us.
Its a complicated business with lots of required permits and permissions so they find it much easier just to go out with us. There is also a comfort and safety factor when diving with professionals.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
N
N
I know people on Caye Caulker who buy a yearly "subscription" with a dive company (I doubt they call it that) where they pay one price and go out as often as they want.

Buy or rent a boat and hire a captain. Perhaps do a deal with a local with appropriate permits (Captain/TourGuide) but that doesn't have a boat.

Play your cards right and you will get a Captains license at some point

Captain One Iron

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.