Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The five Crime-Ridden areas designated for Belize City have been gazetted.

They are all in the Lake Independence and Pickstock areas. Special area 1 encompasses all that area north of Garbutt Street, west of Giles Street, south of Camberbatch Street and east of MY Street, north of M and M Street and west of Garbutt Street.

Special area 2 encompasses all that area south of Police Street extension, east of the junction of Linda Vista Street and the Western Highway, and west of Lacroix Boulevard.

Special area 3 encompasses all that area south of Holy Emmanuel Street, west of Lacroix Boulevard, north of Police Street extension and east of Emma Street.

Special area 4 encompasses all that area to include south of Lavender Street, east of Jasmine Street, north of Croton Lane, east of Flamboyant Street and West of Oleander Street.

Special area 5 encompasses all that area north of Poinsetta Street, east of Black Orchid Street, west of Causarina Street and south of Mahogany Street.

They came into effect yesterday and the designation will last for 30 days. The designation will give police expanded powers to execute warrantless searches, to restrict movement in and out of the areas and to cordon off the areas.

This is the first time that the law is being used since it came into force almost two decades ago.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Statutory Instrument signed for Crime Ridden Areas

Sections of Belize City are bracing tonight for the joint operations that will take place in designated Crime Ridden Areas. Officers will have no need for warrants for searches. Entire neighborhoods can be cordoned-off and passage in and out of those neighborhoods will be restricted for duration of the searches. The statutory instrument called the Crime Control and Criminal Justice (Special Areas) has been signed by the Acting Minister of National Security Erwin Contreras. While the SI has been published, this afternoon, publication in the gazette of the areas was being rushed. The following areas are declared to be 'special areas' in which the provisions of Part Four of the Crime Control and Criminal Justice Act will have effect. Special Area One or Zone One encompasses all that area north of Garbutt Street, west of Giles Street, south of Camberbatch Street and east of MY Street, north of M and M Street and west of Garbutt Street.
Special Area Two encompasses all that area south of Police Street extension, east of the junction of Linda Vista Street and the George Price Highway, and west of Lacroix Boulevard. Zone Three encompasses Holy Emmanuel Street, west of Lacroix Boulevard, north of Police Street extension and east of Emma Street. Special Area Four or Zone Four encompasses all that area to include south of Lavender Street, east of Jasmine Street, north of Croton Lane, east of Flamboyant Street and West of Oleander Street. Special Area Five or Zone Five encompasses all that area north of Poinsetta Street, east of Black Orchid Street, west of Causarina Street and south of Mahogany Street. When it was proposed earlier this week, the business community rallied behind the initiative which is expected to begin in over the weekend and as early as tonight.

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

IT'S OFFICIAL: CRIME-RIDDEN AREAS LAW FOR 30 DAYS

Following the publication of an Extraordinary Gazette last week, dated November 8, 2012, the Crime Control and Criminal Justice (Special Areas) (Belize City) Order, 2012, which declares five Southside Belize City zones for special security forces operations-including warrantless searches-is now in full effect and the order will last for a maximum of 30 days.

As the accompanying map shows, the five special areas, declared "crime-ridden" under Part IV of the Crime Control and Criminal Justice Act [Special Provisions for Crime-Ridden Areas], are all located on the City's Southside and west of Central American Boulevard, in the St. Martin De Porres area.

The accompanying map gives a visual of where these "special areas" - as small as a block - are located.

More specifically, the order details that "special area 1 or zone 1 encompasses all that area north of Garbutt Street, west of Giles Street, south of Cumberbatch Street and east of MY Street, north of M and M Street and west of Garbutt Street.

"Special area 2 or zone 2 encompasses all that area south of Police Street Extension, east of the junction of Linda Vista Street and the [George Price Highway], and west of Lacroix Boulevard.

"Special area 3 or zone 3 encompasses all that area south of Holy Emmanuel Street, west of Lacroix Boulevard, north of Police Street extension and east of Emma Street.

"Special area 4 or zone 4 encompasses all that area to include south of Lavender Street, east of Jasmine Street, north of Croton Lane, east of Flamboyant Street and West of Oleander Street [and]�

"Special area 5 or zone 5 encompasses all that area north of Poinsetta Street, east of Black Orchid Street, west of Causarina Street and south of Mahogany Street."

The orders came into effect with the signing of Statutory Instrument (SI) #94 of 2012 by Erwin Contreras, who at the time was Acting Minister of National Security.

The SI says that the minister made the order with the concurrence of the Crime Control Council, in exercise of the powers conferred upon him by section 12 of the Crime Control and Criminal Justice Act.

With the order in place, the security forces-police and their military support officers-can conduct "search of any premises, place, vehicle, person or thing upon reasonable suspicion of being thereon or therein any unlawful drug or any unlicensed or prohibited firearm or ammunition, or any unlawfully obtained article or thing, or any person wanted in connection with a criminal investigation�"

The order also gives security forces the power to "�seize, take away and detain any vehicle or article which he reasonably suspects is intended to be used, or has been used, for or in connection with the commission of any offence or is or has been unlawfully obtained or possessed�"

There are also expanded powers of arrest, as the order empowers the security forces to "�arrest any person upon reasonable suspicion of his having committed or of being about to commit an offence; and temporarily establish a cordon around the special area or any part thereof for a period not exceeding three hours in any period of twenty-four hours and restrict the freedom of movement of persons and vehicles into or out of any area so cordoned."

Chairman of the Crime Control Council, Michael Young, SC, told Amandala that fundamentally the Crime Control Council was concerned about the effect the police operation would have primarily on citizens' rights, but both the Police Department representative and the Chief Executive Officer in the Ministry of Natural Resources assured Council members that officers would be professional in carrying out their operations.

Young said that Crime Control Council members also expressed concerns that so many times, special police operations increase the height of the dividing wall between the police and the community. The council stressed the need for better relations between police and law-abiding citizens.

Amandala

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Residents Of "Crime-Ridden" Neighborhoods Are Victims Too

The so called crime ridden areas were gazetted last week - which gives police powers to search any and all houses in the area without the need for a warrant, while restricting movement in and out of these areas.

All five areas are within Lake Independence and Pickstock - and today police took the media along on a raid of one gang neighborhood - where Monica Bodden found out, even the residents are victims.

Here's her story:

Monica Bodden Reporting

It started with an early morning briefing inside the military compound at Militia Hall.

Officers are provided with the information of the specific area they will be conducting searches.

Then it was off into their assigned police mobiles where one behind the other they moved in a line, making their way down Mahogany Street and into the PIV area .

PIV - is the abbreviation for "Peace in the Village" - but there was no peace in that village at 5am this morning - when the entire neighborhood was awakened by the banging of police officers at their doors.

30 officers were dispatched in the 'crime ridden' area. - these orange cones on the streets where used to cordon off the territory.

A police check point was placed on Nargusta Street - where in-depth searches were done on vehicles travelling in and out of the area.

Bicycle riders were stopped and properly pat down for illegal substances or weapons.

And even a K-9 operation was conducted where the dogs named Gas and Boscoo combed the entire neighborhood - sniffing through high bushes in empty lots and inside the yards of residents.

But after a 2 hour operation, police turned up empty-handed. No one was detained nor arrested this morning and nothing illegal was found in the area.

ACP Alden Dawson - Officer Commanding CIB
"We have this ongoing operation over the city, and this morning, our target area was the PIV area, as you people well know it to be. We have been in there with about 30 officers, including the BDF soldiers. We did a 2-hour operation, roughly. And to my mind, without detaining anyone, or making no arrests, we were successful."

Jules Vasquez
"Are you able to say seizure, confiscations, or finds were made?"

ACP Alden Dawson
"No, this morning, we didn't make any seizures or confiscation. Neither was anybody detained."

ACP Dawson spoke about the reduction of street crimes and gang activities since this new operation took effect on November second.

ACP Alden Dawson
"Since the operation started, we have noticed a reduction in the street crime, as well as the gang activity. I don't think that there is anything to be done swiftly."

Jules Vasquez
"Sir, are you able to say if something like this has a - what sort of effect does it have in terms of, is it meant to make seizures, or is it meant to keep the community on guard knowing that the police could show up with massive force at any time, and you can't be running any criminal operation in here?"

ACP Alden Dawson
"Well, our intention, Jules, is to keep the crime situation down, and take every last illegal weapon and drugs off the street."

And while the police are just doing their job, many law abiding citizens who have the misfortune to live in those Crime Ridden Zones - are subjected to random searches - which while they are lawful, seems to trespass upon the constitutional rights of a citizen.

Area Resident
"I was already up; only my kids and my wife were in bed. I was doing a little business, which I do to make things for school. So, that's what I was doing."

Monica Bodden
"And when they came in, how was their approach?"

Area Resident
"Well, these officers weren't bad, you know. These ones are a lot better than the GSU. I'm telling you because the GSU wouldn't ask any questions. They would have kicked open the doors, and handcuff you instantly, because that's how they roll. You have to take what they give you and don't talk, because they'll beat you. That's one thing. If you talk, you'll get beating."

Monica Bodden
"But your 2 children, they were sleeping right?"

Area Resident
"Yes, Ma'am, the officers woke them up. They got up when the police wanted to search the rooms."

Monica Bodden
"How old are your children?"

Area Resident
"One is 7 years-old, and one is 22 months."

For this one area resident, it is the 4th time in less than 2 weeks his home has been searched by police.

It has become frustrating for his family- And after living at their home for 34 years - they are moving out to a 'Non crime ridden area' for some peace of mind.

Area Resident
"I have to move because I can't handle it. I have to move out of my own house."

Monica Bodden
"How long have you lived here for?"

Area Resident
"I am 34 year-old, ma'am. That's how long."

Monica Bodden
"All your life."

Area Resident
"Yes."

Monica Bodden
"And you're planning to move out of your house?"

Area Resident
"I have to because I won't have any peace."

Reporter
"Sir, have there been any other searches her before, other than when this initiative started?"

Area Resident
"No, it's been a few years. No police came and search here until this initiative. It's been the 4th time since they started."

Reporter
"What are your children's reactions?"

Area Resident
"Daddy, what are they doing here? I have to tell them that they are looking for guns and drugs."

The operation began at 5am and ended at approximately 7am - where the troops returned to base.

Channel 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.