Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
gnove18 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I currently reside in the U.S and I often send packages to family in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye. I have been wondering why is it that my family members are charged upon arrival of their package if I already paid for shipping and handling in the U.S? Is there a law where they are allowed in regards to that? When I receive packages from them here, I am not charged a single dime because they pay for it in Belize. And why is it that the manager of the post office in San Pedro makes customers open their package and charges them based on what is in its contents? I have asked here in the postal offices and they have told me that this man should not be doing this. Is this how it works in Belize? Please I just want clarification on this issue and if there is a law in Belize that I can refer to. Thank you.

C
C
When you mail something to Belize first you have to pay duty on the cost of postage. Its wrong but true. Its usually 30% plus GST. They also have to pay duty on the value of the items you list on the declaration form, again about 30% plus GST. Some items are exempt from duty, but not postage. Then again on a good day they may not charge you anything.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
G
gnove18 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks for the clarification. I just thought it was strange that although I paid here, my family had to pay there as well.

NJG Offline
I found out after years of paying duty on a prescription med.,that I could not get here.that if you have it sent from the states. As long as its in it original pkg. with your name on it.you do not pay any fees. This of course after I called the ministry of health to ask once the fees kept creeping up higher and higher.they said that as long as the medication was in my name and in the original pkg. no duty was to be charged.just an FYI....

Anything listed as having import duty will attract it when shipped. It will also attract GST.
When you clear customs in the airport, the customs officials go through the items and level duty there.
When you ship large amounts, they come through the port and customs officials clear and levy duty there.
When you ship through the post office, the postmaster is the legally appointed customs person - they are supposed to open the package and assess appropriate duty.
GST is also charged on the cost of the goods as well as the cost of shipping, so charging it on the price of the stamp from the originating country seems consistent with that regulation.
The postmaster levies and collects the duty, logs it in and should give proper documentation to the person receiving the package.

PS - a US postal worker isn't going to know any of this ......

F
F
I'm glad this just came up, I am going to mail a package to myself tomorrow. I will be shipping it from Florida to AC. I am shipping it to my condo and someone will pick it up for me. I will be down in a few weeks. There are only a few items worth less than $50US. I never thought that there would be any money to be paid when it arrives.This is just stuff I want at my condo but I didn't want to take on the plane. I don't bring much with me because all of my close are there. Does anyone have a thought on weather I should mail it or put it all in my suit case. Thanks

Should cost about $15-20 TAX.

F
F
Inplub, thanks for the info. Thanks not bad, I guess I'll head out and send the box.

P
P
Perfectly normal everywhere for incoming foreign parcels to be charged import duty and tax. We also have an environmental tax for those that forget or think it's an "added".

I would also recommend a friendly approach at the Post Office. An upstart Gringo/Limey telling them it's an outrage and going off on one is likely to be remembered for the next time. I have seen this happen many a time. The guys in the Post Office are all good guys and human so be nice or pay the price.

S
S
It also helps if you have an "invoice" in the box (or receipts for similar items).

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.