Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18
Actually, Marijuana should be distributed to the Gangs instead of monthly stipends. The ancillary benefits would be manifold. Gang activity would drop dramatically while the sale of cable TV subscriptions and snack foods would skyrocket.

Teachers Say Don't Legalize It

The Belize National Teachers Union has come out against the decriminalization of small amounts of marijuana.

A release from the union today says quote, "BNTU considers the idea as pre-mature and dangerous. The negative effect of its use on the body, especially the brain and rational behavior, far outweighs its known medicinal uses."

It adds that quote, "government's inability to control and monitor its use and supply will lead to more health and behavioral problems for our teachers, parents, law-enforcement officers and society as a whole�" end quote.

The BNTU proposes that a DRUG EDUCATION programme be introduced as early as Std. III or IV at the Primary level.

Channel 7

Ideas and Opinions - Marijuana IV

by Janus

There should never have been a law which made marijuana use a crime. And, there would never have been such a law if the citizens of Belize were able to make their views heard in favor or against. The British Administration made that law when Belize was a Crown Colony and the Governor, Financial Secretary, Colonial Secretary, Attorney General and Accountant General comprised the Executive Council and dominated the Legislative Council. There were no Committees, to which Bills for an Act were submitted for consideration and report.

I can imagine a conversation between the Governor and the Colonel Secretary which went like this: Governor to C.S.: "We have to make a law to stop this 'coolie' weed smoking habit from spreading to the rest of the native population." C.S. to Governor: "I'd get the A.G. to draft an Ordinance." Story done. They didn't know of any harmful effects then, except that the East Indians began to think and act as if they were everybody's equal.

Marijuana is the leaf of the Cannabis plant, dried and crushed. Perfectly natural, nothing added or taken away. People roll it in paper and smoke it like in cigarette. They like the effect it has on them. It has harmful effects which have been documented. It is not more harmful than alcohol, which is lawful. If you put any fruit in a container, with or without water, cover it and let it lie, it will eventually ferment and form wine, with a low alcoholic content. Through the process of distillation, some fermented substances, like the juice of sugarcane, become rum, with as high an alcoholic content as you wish. You are free to drink as much rum or vodka or gin as you wish, regardless of their alcoholic content and, regardless of how much harm you do to yourself.

A man goes to a party to celebrate a victory in sports or in politics. The mood is jubilant. Drinks flow freely. The party ends long after midnight and everybody is high. Driving on the way home, he has a momentary lapse of judgment and there is an accident. Is that a harmful effect? Friends are at a bar drinking liquor. There is ill feeling between two of them, over a real or imagined insult. They get into an argument, ending in a fight. One stabs the other with a broken battle. Is that a harmful effect?

For many years, a man lives high on a cliff with a wonderful view of the sea. There is a "waterhole" where he and friends get together to have fun on weekends. He has walked home a hundred times near the cliff's edge, in all the stages between sobriety and inebriation, but, this time, he stumbles and falls over the edge. Is that a harmful effect? Perhaps not, perhaps, they are only consequential but, I can't think of similar things happening to weed smokers. Marijuana is less harmful than alcohol.

There is a certain television station which has made it a cause celebr� to persuade its listeners to oppose the proposal which I and my associates have advocated, that is, that the law should be amended to make the possession of a small quantity of marijuana, a lesser offence than a crime. Plus T.V. seems to be the most informed of the harmful effects of marijuana use. The religious body Plus T.V. represents, along with other church groups, oppose the proposal to decriminalize, stating their reasons for their position. The Belize National Teachers Union is also against decriminalization, giving for their reason that marijuana is a gateway drug. I think the reasons given are valid in opposition to the legalization of marijuana, but not against the proposal to decriminalize.

I think the strongest argument against decriminalization would be negative experiences of countries which have taken this step. Sixteen countries and fourteen states in the USA have decriminalized the drug. Twelve more American states have legislation pending in their Congresses. None of the administrations which have taken this action have changed their minds despite the rumor that one or more of them have considered or are considering. Clearly, the trend is in favor of decriminalization and, it is reasonable to believe that the trend will continue because, the law, as it stands, has done and is doing more harm than good.

People have been giving free rein to their imagination in newspaper writings, predicting dire consequences to the society if marijuana is decriminalized. When, all we have to do is find out the experiences of countries which have taken this step. Is this responsible journalism? Here is an example of responsible journalism.

I submit excerpts from:- The Impact of Marijuana Decriminalization: An Update
Author: Eric W. Single
Source: Journal of Public Health Policy
Published by: Palgrave MacMillan Journals

The dual purpose of marijuana policy

"Marijuana policy has two goals: to minimize health and safety hazards associated with use, and to minimize the social cost and adverse individual consequences that result from attempts to control use."

The effects of decriminalization: Initial evaluations

"In the decade prior to the enactment of 'decriminalization' laws, with the risk of arrests very low and marijuana readily available, trends in use appear to have been relatively unaffected by the existing criminal laws against possession. Under these circumstances, one would expect, 'decriminalization' to result in minimal changes in the number of users, while reducing the social costs and adverse individual consequences of criminalization. The available evidence supports this conclusion. Decriminalization measures have had little or no impact on rates of use but, they have substantially reduced the social costs associated with the enforcement of marijuana laws."

I would like to recommend Mr. Single's article for reading by those who are for or against decriminalization. You will be better informed on the subject, even if you remain steadfast in your original position.

I would like my government to consider the pros and cons of this question very carefully, as they usually do and, have the courage of their conviction to act, if they favor the affirmative, which has not been the practice in developing countries.

As a matter of interest, there are two countries where marijuana is illegal but, the law is not enforced, as a matter of public policy. The countries are India and Cambodia.

This is a note about the practice in India: "Despite the high prevalent usage, the law makes it illegal to possess any form of the psychoactive. However, this law is rarely enforced and, is treated as a low priority across India.

Some years ago, in a moment of resolution, a former Prime Minister gave an order to the Ministry of National Security to stop enforcing the law against Cannabis as rigorously as they were accustomed. He backed off when a few prominent members of the legal fraternity challenged his authority. We would be in a far better position now, if he had had the courage of his conviction.

Amandala

Ideas and Opinions - Marijuana V

Let me be clear, I don't support smoking marijuana because it is against the law and, it is the duty of a citizen to obey the law, even if it has no moral justification. I wouldn't drink liquor, which I find enjoyable, if it was still against the law. But, I think it is the duty of the citizen to be well-informed on the issue of harmful drugs, in general, and marijuana, in particular because of its prevalent use. I don't think that you will be well-informed if you rely on Plus TV and local newspaper articles for information.

The issue on this subject, which has been before the public these past few weeks, has been decriminalization. There has been strong objection to this proposal in certain quarters but, all the cogent arguments I have seen and heard are against legalization, rather than decriminalization of marijuana use. The proposal is to make marijuana use a lesser offence than a crime punishable by a jail term. How can anyone who understands that habits are formed by young people based on those they associate with, not support decriminalization. The reason you don't smoke marijuana is because your friends didn't. It could have been otherwise. You should say, "There but for the grace of God go I."

I am confident that when all the facts are in, the Government of Belize will decriminalize marijuana because, it is the reasonable, the sensible and the right thing to do. But that will not be the end. Then, the real battle, which those who are against decriminalization, might have been fighting before it was joined, will begin. They will have to advance some better arguments than the horror tales they have been telling and saying that marijuana is a "gateway" to harder drugs.

Please believe me that I do not support marijuana use. I am against any drug which changes people's behavior. I think that marijuana is the least harmful of all the drugs that groups use to induce conviviality, including alcohol. But, I have no right to consider their use a crime and, neither do you and, neither does the state.

Allow me to diverge. This whole business of the state deciding to compel good behavior by making foolish behavior, criminal, began with the Prohibition laws against alcohol because of its harmful effects. How else can we describe the thinking of the American lawmakers who started this but, as an attack of temporary insanity. They returned to sanity some years later, when they found that the laws did more harm than good, and revoked them. Has alcohol lost its harmful effects? Not at all but, the lawmakers found that they would be more successful in their objection by exercising control through regulation and taxation. Then, they found that there were other substances, more potent than alcohol, which changed people's behavior, like angel dust, acid, and cocaine and they had attack on the mind, as before. They made a list of prohibited drugs, to which they added marijuana, declared the users criminals, established the Drug Enforcement Administration, appointed a Drug Czar, and declared a war on drugs. After many years and countless casualties, the war continues unabated, as the forces of the ungodly get richer and more powerful due to the operation of a higher law called the Law of Supply and Demand.

I have to diverge again to ask a question. Why would you put a man who does acid or smokes crack cocaine in jail? Such a man belongs in an institution to be taken care of, because he is incapable of taking care of himself.

What is to be done about marijuana? If the objective is to discourage its use, there is a better way to do it than by putting users in jail. That way will be discovered when all the facts are in, for and against, legalization. We live in the information age and, all the information is available for those who seek it.

Let me diverge, once more. When something is going to happen and the efforts of all who are against it are bound to fail, we refer to that event as "inevitable." A prominent attorney recently said that same sex marriage was inevitable in Belize. I say, "Not before marijuana is legalized." My position is based on the fact that copulation between members of the male sex cannot be recognized as a human right in a country which affirms the Supremacy of God.

Let's assume that marijuana is legalized. In the present system, the producers sell to the dealers (distributors) and they sell to runners (retailers.) Nothing is wrong with this system. Government would have to issue licenses to producers and distributors. Hopefully, they will share this pie equitably between Red and Blue businessmen. If they don't, reasons will be found to cancel licenses when there is a change of government. It is hard to imagine how big and lucrative the marijuana business pie could be. In five years time, the most successful businessmen should be millionaires. It is suggested that government revenue come from a single tax at source, i.e., the producers. The figure that comes to mind is five dollars per ounce. That would be four hundred dollars per pound and twenty million dollars on fifty thousand pounds of produce.

It would need a better quality agency than the one we have, to exercise control, enforce regulations and collect the revenue. Perhaps a Department of the Treasury might have to be established.

Not to forget that the primary purpose of legalizing marijuana is to discourage its use and also to reduce the abuse of harmful drugs, whether legal or not. A portion of the expected revenue should be earned earmarked to make the National Drug Abuse Control Council more effective.

Another thing. We have to do something to help drug addicts. It is heartbreaking to see once respectable, productive citizens become alcoholics, or worse, crackheads. Some of that revenue from the tax on marijuana could be used to establish an institution to rehabilitate drug addicts. By the way, isn't marijuana supposed to be addictive? Where are the marijuana derelicts?

These are some of the benefits to be gained from legalizing marijuana:-

1. There will be considerable savings on public expenditure associated with the apprehension, trial and incarceration of citizens engaged in the marijuana trade.

2. The police will be able to devote more time and energy to dealing with violent crimes, including murder and armed robbery, burglaries, stealing and juvenile delinquency. A lot of juvenile crime is unreported, which encourages the young miscreants in their activities.

3. It will give peace of mind to a large number of our citizens who, whether they accept or not, are criminals under our law.

4. The reestablishment of marijuana plantations in Belize will make the importation of supplies from Mexico and Guatemala unnecessary, thus saving substantial foreign exchange.

Legalization would not mean approval. Employers, sporting associations, the Public Service, the Belize Defence Force, etc., etc., would still have the right to make rules governing admission, suspension, and dismissal for marijuana users.

I think that this will be my last essay on this subject, unless marijuana were legalized, then, I will have my say about how legalization should be implemented.

Amandala

P.M. Barrow gives update on legalizing marijuana

Prime Minister Dean Barrow Central American leaders, including Prime Minister Dean Barrow, say that the decision by two U.S. states last week to legalize marijuana will have important implications for efforts to fight smuggling in this region. Prime Minister Barrow says the concerns focus primarily on the war against international crime and in particular narco-trafficking.

LOVETV

William Conde and the "unjust and unholy" war against marijuana

In the future they will look back in shock and dismay at the injustices that we have endured under this draconian prohibition.

Dear Editor,

Last Tuesday's USA election saw two states legalize marijuana for use by those who are 21 years of age or older.

I must say, it is way past due. Because of this, this Monday, November12, Prime Minister Dean Barrow met in Mexico City with President Calderón of Mexico, Costa Rica's President Laura Chinchilla and Honduras' President Porfirio Lobo, to discuss the failed war on drugs and what should be done.

Let me help you guys: PLEASE, STOP THE WAR. You are using violence and threats of violence to control peaceful natural human behavior. The truth will set you free.

So, what's the truth, folks? Oh, there are so many we can't discuss them all here, but let me help you understand some truths.

1. Ezekiel 34:29: "I will rise up for them a plant of renown."

2. The true breakthrough of the earth's most environmentally sound raw material source (fiber and oil).

3. The creation of, possibly, man's greatest economic engine.

4. Over half of all the trees cut on earth today are to be made into paper. Hemp makes better paper using fewer chemicals and grows organically on a farm, in just three months.

5. The oil from the seed can be used instead of crude oil, and only takes 3 months to replenish, not millions of years, and it is non-toxic to the environment and you.

This is just a letter to the editor and I can't carry on like a novel, so I might suggest people Google "industrial hemp," and oh yea, while they are at it, may I also suggest they go to "bible.com" then, using their favorite version, do a search on the word "herb."

Even though it is illegal almost everywhere in the world today, it is still the number one or two cash crop, in most countries, as this is being written.

Something you must understand: even though marijuana is this incredible cash crop (BZ$200 to $800 per lb. here in Belize and up to US$4,000 a lb. in the US), that the industrial hemp crop dwarfs marijuana when it comes to world market demand and total market cash value. It was a raw material for over 25,000 products in 1935, before it was made against the law, and can be used today for countless more.

Not only has this unjust, unholy declared war cost us trillions of dollars worldwide and ruined millions of lives and negatively impacted billions more, but it has stopped us from using one of nature's most incredible resources.

It has not only cost us money out of our pockets and love from our spirit, but it has stopped us from being able to create untold wealth for ourselves. If you see it as unclean, then for you it is unclean, but as for me, it is a holy plant and a blessing to mankind. Only those unenlightened condemning souls absent of God's love could wish to continue this war on their own people.

We do live in a democracy, thank God, and the government is to represent us, the people. We are not brain-dead idiots and do not wish to be treated as such anymore. All those who would wish to continue this unjust, unholy war against the people, understand, what you are doing is wrong and Christ will forgive you, but mankind might not.

Remember, peace and love
Give peace a chance
William Conde

Letter to the Editor, Amandala

F
F
Why not do it, 3 States in the US just past State laws to make recreational marijuana legal. It's going to become more and more accepted. Once it is legal everywhere in the States, the Gov will jump in and start taxing it and making money off of it. I'm a retired cop and don't smoke, but I think if it is a legal substance there will be less crime.

Uruguay MPs back marijuana legalisation bill
Members of Uruguay's House of Representatives have passed a bill to legalise marijuana.

[Linked Image]

If it goes on to be approved by the Senate, Uruguay will become the first country to regulate the production, distribution and sale of marijuana.The measure is backed by the government of President Jose Mujica, who says it will remove profits from drug dealers and divert users from harder drugs. Under the bill, only the government would be allowed to sell marijuana. The state would assume "the control and regulation of the importation, exportation, plantation, cultivation, the harvest, the production, the acquisition, the storage, the commercialisation and the distribution of cannabis and its by-products". Buyers would have to be registered on a database and be over the age of 18. They would be able to buy up to 40g (1.4oz) per month in specially licensed pharmacies or grow up to six plants at home. Foreigners would be excluded from the measure.

Political tussle
The bill was approved by 50 of the 96 MPs present in the lower house following a fierce 13-hour debate in the capital, Montevideo. The supporters of the measure argued that the fight against drugs and drug trafficking had failed, and the country needed "new alternatives". "The regulation is not to promote consumption; consumption already exists," said Sebastian Sabini of the governing centre-left Frente Amplio (Broad Front) coalition, which has a majority of one in the lower house. Marijuana use has reportedly doubled in Uruguay over the past year. An estimated 22 tonnes of marijuana are being sold in the country annually, according to Uruguay's National Drugs Committee. But Gerardo Amarilla of the opposition National Party said the government was "playing with fire" given the health risks he said were linked to marijuana use.

All eyes were on Dario Perez, a member of the governing coalition but a strong opponent of the bill, whose vote could have scuppered the bill. During his 20-minute speech, Mr Perez reiterated his belief that the issue should be put to a referendum and not have been "imposed" by the government. But to applause by supporters of the bill in the public gallery, he finally concluded that as long as he was a member of the coalition, he would vote with it, despite his personal misgivings. The bill is now expected to be approved by the Senate, where the left-wing government has a bigger majority. But opposition politicians said that even if the law made it through the senate, they would launch a petition to have it overturned. A survey carried out before the vote by polling organisation Cifra suggested 63% of Uruguayans opposed the bill.

Papal opposition
The progress of the bill is being watched closely across the region, says BBC Mundo correspondent in the region Ignacio de los Reyes. For decades, drug trafficking has caused tens of thousands of deaths throughout Latin America. Uruguay may have not experienced the bloodshed caused by drug trafficking, but the proposal could be seen as a test for violence-torn nations looking for an end to their drug wars, our correspondent adds. The vote also comes just days after Pope Francis criticised drug legalisation plans during a visit to neighbouring Brazil. The pontiff said it was "necessary to tackle the problems which are at the root of drug abuse, promoting more justice, educating the youth with the values that live in society, standing by those who face hardship and giving them hope for the future".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-23516966

Live and let live

MARIJUANA DECRIMINALIZATION STILL ON THE TABLE

A report coming out of Mexico this week indicated that a lobby for the decriminalization of marijuana is being supported by a broad cross-section of people, including ex-ministers and businessmen, on the claim that such a move would curb violence and corruption.

Here in Belize, the Government is still looking at options for decriminalization, although no final decision has been taken.

Last year, Belize began proposing the decriminalization of up to 10 grams of marijuana. Chairman of the Marijuana Decriminalization Committee, Doug Singh, told Amandala today that he hopes to have the final report submitted to Cabinet by the end of the year; and he will recommend to the Government that the report should simultaneously be made public.

Singh has previously emphasized that "�the proposal is not to legalize the offence, thereby purging it of all its penalties; it is merely to reduce and regulate."

Today, he said that the report will also look at the various definitions that could be used for the reform, including the suggestion that it should be called a de-penalization.

The Committee has been accepting public comments, and it has been meeting with key interest groups, including the churches - some of which have reservations that the decriminalization could lead to the perception of permissiveness for the use of marijuana, Singh told us.

He said that they hope to consult next week with the Belize Medical and Dental Association and the Belize Bar Association.

Singh acknowledged having received over 100 e-mails indicating objection to the decriminalization of marijuana.

The current proposal calls for Belize to decriminalize the possession of up to 10 grams of marijuana, which would be subject to fines, mandatory drug education and no imprisonment. Currently, the possession of under 60 grams of marijuana is a criminal offence and punishable by a fine of up to $50,000 and/or up to three years imprisonment.

In expressing its broad support for the proposal, the Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry has proposed that "legal possession be reduced to 5 grams."

Last September, the president of the Belize National Teachers Union, Luke Palacio, expressed his reservations, and the union had issued a statement that referred to "the negative effect of its use on the body, especially the brain and rational behavior," which, it said, "far outweighs its known medicinal uses."

Singh told us that the report will include a short section on the medical uses, with information provided by Dr. Rosito Arvigo, who had understudied Belizean herbalist Don Elijio Panti (deceased). However, the proposal does not entail the legalization of marijuana for medical use.

Amandala

War On Drugs Has Fundamental Problems.

Like *Where is the compelling governmental interest?

I look at a recent eye opener. The case of the one legged man receiving six months for 1/10 of a gram of cannabis. Yea I know he had committed similar violations of the law in the past and still owed money. Last I recall the courts had fined him $10,000 for a past similar violation. How does a one legged man pay such a fine? This is only one example of casualties in this war on the people. With all that said and understood, what are we looking at here. What is the cost in time and money in just this one case. I can't tell you that but I can tell you the cost of the cannabis involved. Let's see what 1/10 of a gram of cannabis is, in the material world. Pretty much $35.00 an ounce in most places in rural Belize. OK 28.3 grams in an ounce. $35.00 divided by 28.3 grams in an ounce = $1.24 per gram. 1/10 of a gram is twelve and one half cents. So we engaged a number of police, prosecutors, lawyers, judges and finally the housing of this criminal for six months over 12 � cents worth of cannabis. The utter absurdity of such a failure of and in the system is just another nail in the coffin of prohibition. Drug war a total failure and incredible waste of time and money. Stand up and be counted. Don't worry you're in the majority now. Speak the truth and shoot your arrows straight. Understand this is the most giving plant on the planet. It is not a demon, it is sacred and a blessing. Believe me when I tell you much of that blessing comes in the form of material wealth and spiritual up lifting for those who have lived under constant fear the man will come and take you away.

Ezekiel-"I will rise up for them a plant of renown."

Sorry for you if you see it as unclean because for you it will be unclean. But for me it is a blessing. Go figure.

Stop The War and Receive The Blessing
William Conde belizehemp.com

Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 129 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.