Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#45318 11/07/01 08:44 PM
A
OP Offline
A
I've just gotten back from San Pedro and had a fantastic time while I was there. Please do not let the temptation of walking barefoot overcome you! I now have a parasite called cutaneous larva migrans attached to my foot that hurts very bad. With all of the wild dogs/cats that run free all over the country, it is impossible to avoid this dilemna. Be smart and wear your shoes so you can enjoy the real beauty of the caye's without coming back with an unwanted guest!

P
P
If you want to see what this looks like, go to this site: http://tray.dermatology.uiowa.edu/LarvMi02.htm

Groooooss!

OMG OMG I looked at the picture. no way.

Dare To Deviate
Geez, gross is right!! I've been advocating wearing sandals but to avoid nails and glass.

How do you actually catch something like this and how do you get rid of it?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

C
C
More Info
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/hookworm/default.htm

Sounds like this can crop up just about anywhere...even in your own backyard. If you want to be safe, you will have to wear shoes all the time.

As I see it unless there is a history of this in Ambergris you are just as safe going barefoot there as anywhere else...

Also moisture in the soil increases chances of getting infected. So it might be seasonal.

I don't know whether or not this includes salt-water moisture...though one of the articles mentions sunbathing on wet sand as a risk.

Just one more VERY good reason whilst in SP to stay on high enough stools to keep ones feet from prolonged contact with the soil.

CHOOCHOO - I believe those who drink blue things are protected from this horrible condition. So it's not just the elevation, it's the libation!

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
B
B
That is a nasty clinical case of it. Its gotten all infected as well. I have seen it a couple of times in real life. It does not look half as bad as that case. the worst part of it is an itch.(I am not implying that you want one!) Headlice medicine kills it nicely. Yes it is a good idea to wear shoes for lots of reasons including athlete's foot.

San Pedro isn't the fishing village with mountains of fluffy white sand it had 20 and more years ago. I use to go barefoot then and even a bit in the late eighties but would not go now. Too much other things have joined the sand since then.

Another conversation piece - botfly larvae!

C
cjd Offline
C
yea...and dont ever open any mail. There might be a white powdery substance in it.

C
cjd Offline
C
Maybe Skinny should change his name to portray a more health conscious image. Perhaps "Sandal Wearing Skinny", or even "Weight Conscious, Proper Footwear Bearer". Any other suggestions for him?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 338 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.