Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Chris Offline OP
OP Offline
A friend of mine emailed me a while ago...he was wondering if the John McAfee saga would hurt Belize. It appears the answer is a resounding "No" with possibly even the opposite effect. Go to http://news.yahoo.com/john-mcafee-just-got-jail-might-even-going-151302834.html ...not so much for the story, but for the reader comments. I'd say Belize comes out of this just fine.

It is noticeable on Mr. McAfee's own blog that all dissenting comments are "moderated" out. (When he first started the blog most reader comments were negative vs. McAfee).

I saw a McAfee news article on CNN on line the other day and went to the reader comments....almost all posts were negative vs. McAfee....almost as if they were of the opinion that McAfee was a few virus definitions short of a full software update. In fact, here's one of those articles...go to the reader comments and laugh! http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/07/w...sylum-rejected/index.html?iref=allsearch

Mr. McAfee's attempts to hurt Belize (and by definition her people) with his endless blog rants seem to have had the opposite effect. A few days ago Mayor Danny Guerrero said he thinks this is the best thing to happen to Belize in years. He has a point.

My friend Chris, I would suggest that the McAfee fiasco could have a positive effect for Belize. I hope it will be hard for the police to not solve this murder using the excuse that they were unable to question McAfee. The national media attention focused on Belize and the accusations by McAfee of corruption and incompetence of the police should keep the spotlight where it needs to be.

Remember the flight attendant that was murdered in broad daylight and, to my knowledge, that crime has not been solved and has been forgotten about.

There seems to be a mentality that bad things about Belize will eventually go away be forgotten and the country will continue to prosper.

The focus now needs to be on solving this crime and bringing the guilty ones to justice. If the police have enough evidence to charge McAfee, they should do so and, if not, concentrate on finding who is responsible.

The real important issue is getting justice for this crime and not worrying about how all this media attention might be detrimental or not to Belize.

E
E
I wish I had said that but Bywarren said it much better.

D
D
Who killed the dogs? I suggest those responsible for that also were responsible for the Faull murder.

C
C
Dogs are poisoned here all the time..drunks that drink at a bar spot and troll home at night often poison dogs. Its a fun thing to do as a passtime of idle minds. Children here pit dogs togather as puppies to fight. Children as young as 5 yrs old. Teenagers get more aggressive. To take down McAfees dogs may have been no more than a status thing for teenagers. It could have been much more, but you cant say the persons that killed the dogs killed the neighbor, even if it seems likely. The police have been doing it for decades.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
M
M
From shortly after M moved to North Ambergris Caye in 2008 locals who pass on the beach have complained bitterly about his unrestrained dogs and M's personal threats against them for passing on "his property". When the police dont take matters in hand local people do. To poison a dog takes preparation and the average drunk coming home from the bar (no bars in M's area) would be very unlikely to be carrying poison. I have seen people carry machetes after being attacked by dogs and I have had occasion to arm myself to protect from uncontrolled dogs which I would have gladly killed. If his dogs had ever attacked me I would have most definitely taken action. I do not see any logic to the statement that who killed M's dogs also killed Greg, that makes no sense to me at all.

McAfee is now on his way to Miami after being deported from Guatemala

Last edited by Gaz Cooper; 12/13/12 02:29 AM.

I wonder if the plane slowed down to a crawl when they put McAfee on it? smirk

--------------------------------------------
"I only fish on days that end in "Y" smile

I"m wondering what effect (if any) McAfee"s absence and probable hard feelings might have on life on the island. Water taxi? Does he operate/own any other concerns in the area? I ask as a soon to arrive new resident of the Mata Grande neighborhood. Can"t wait to meet some of the characters I"ve seen on this forum.

L
L
Security firm McAfee released a report today warning that a massive cyberattack on 30 U.S. banks has been planned, with the goal of stealing millions of dollars from consumers' bank accounts.

McAfee was founded by John McAfee, who "no longer has any ties to the company"...according to CNN Money.

Interesting timing of such an announcement.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 329 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.