Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#446880 09/18/12 07:44 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Lucky Boy, the rescued jaguar, is doing fine at the Belize Zoo. Sharon Matola has released an update on him.

"Lucky Boy, our recently rescued black jaguar, has settled well in his new home off exhibit at The Belize Zoo. Always eager for his dinner, the guy is clueless about how happy he is making all of his zoo caretakers with such an enthusiastic appetite. Not that we expected Lucky Boy to turn up his big nose at beef liver, but our consulting vet made a point in stating that some large cats are less-than-happy about eating the critical care canned feline food, which was brought in special for our Lucky Boy. Well, Lucky Boy simply loves the gooey mixture, and happily gives a jaguar 'high five' whenever it comes his way."

You can still buy Lucky Boy t-shirts here.

SOURCE

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Lucky Boy, once emaciated jaguar, makes a comeback

At the Belize Zoo, Lucky Boy met the media today. On the previous occasion when we reported on the black jaguar, he was severely malnourished after months of neglect while in captivity. Well Lucky Boy has made a remarkable recovery and today, he showed off his new fur as he well as his new habitat. News Five's Delahnie Bain reports on the comeback kid and other projects that are making the zoo more user-friendly and comfortable to visitors.

Delahnie Bain, Reporting

It's a big day at the Belize Zoo, which unveiled three major projects that have been ongoing over the past few months. The highlight, of course, was the launching of the new exhibit for Lucky Boy, the black jaguar that was rescued in July.

Sharon Matola

Sharon Matola, Founding Director, The Belize Zoo

"Lucky Boy has had a pretty hard life in the last year but now he is one happy rescued black jaguar and everybody is going to see the beautiful new home that he's in."

Delahnie Bain

"What are some of the features of his new space?"

Sharon Matola

"Well, you call it his space; actually it looks more like a jaguar day spa. He's got a big pool with a waterfall and lots of logs to scratch and climb and bush to crawl through. But what he likes in particular is his neighbors. He has jaguars he can touch noses with and understand that he's not the only jaguar there and that's really pleasing to him. And we are loving it. It's nice to see an animal who's had it hard, who should have had it hard and now he's going to be an education animal and he's just going to be a thrill for everyone to see."

Lucky Boy was severely malnourished after being neglected in captivity at a lodge in the Toledo District. He now boasts a full coat and weighs a hundred and seventy-five pounds after five months of special care.

Sharon Matola

"It's startling. I mean, I have to say he was in very bad shape when he got here and we just worked constantly with him. He left all his bad habits behind; he stopped fence biting, he stopped pacing, he learned how to give a high five, he learned to trust us and now we moved him to his new exhibit actually a week ago to get him used to it before the opening and he just exudes happiness. And I’m not being anthropomorphic but he just seems amazingly happy. I think he's going to be a joy for people to see."

The other two projects on today's agenda were the newly renovated visitor center and handicap access pathways.

Sharon Matola

"The fundraising has been going on for a couple of years and that's why I look so tired. The work that you see here is still ongoing, we will have the handicap access pathway throughout the whole zoo. Right now it's about three-fourths of the way done. So it's been going on since August, late August and the building itself late August. Our beautifully rejuvenated Gerald Durell Visitor Center. It has a new education classroom, everything is polished up and ready for schools and visitors. I’m very, very excited about the handicap access walkways that we're standing on now; this has been a dream of ours. It's taken a lot of fundraising to get to here but this opens up the Belize Zoo to so many Belizeans that haven't been able to visit and appreciate the wildlife of their country. I mean they've been wheelchair bound or just having some type of disability that doesn't permit them to stroll around like the rest of us and guess what, now they can. And I’m so excited for all those kids in wheelchairs that can now come to the zoo and have a rocking good time."

The pathways will also benefit elderly visitors to the zoo as recognized by the by the National Council on Aging, which presented a certificate of appreciation to the zoo. Matola also had presentations of her own, as she launched her latest children's book.

Sharon Matola

"I am launching a book today, Words of Wisdom from Happy the Owl. I’ve been working on that book since January. BRC just handed us the copies today and it is the best book about barn owls in the world I promise you that. I'll give you a copy and you'll have to agree. I’m just floored by it."

For now, the books are only available at the zoo, but they are expected to be distributed to gift shops countrywide in the near future. Delahnie Bain for News Five.

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Lucky Boy's Home is Finished | Cayo Scoop!  Bestofcayo.com's E-mag. | Scoop.it

Lucky Boy's Home is Finished

Starting today, Thursday, December 13th, everyone can go see Lucky Boy the black jaguar at the Belize Zoo. They've finished his new home.

"The future is NOW! Lucky Boy is now at home in his new 5 star home on site at the Zoo, and loving every moment of it! The big official ribbon cutting ceremony kicks off tomorrow at noon, so, come Thursday, EVERYONE will be able to visit the boy in person. Hope all the Lucky Boy fans out there enjoy this sneak preview. Paws way way up!"

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

Another addition to our TIME PIECES album. The one and only Lucky Boy! Hard to believe it's been just over a year since this magnificent creature came to us in a not so magnificent state. We were all terribly afraid he wouldn't survive his ordeal, but Lucky Boy decided not to give up, and neither did we! We'll never forget all the loving fans and patrons that helped him through the first critical months of recovery, and those who still visit the Zoo just to say hi to the handsome boy in his exhibit...or, as we like to call it, "jaguar day-spa!"

The Belize Zoo

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.