Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

I finally crossed Cave tubing off of my bucket list!

While in Belize last month I had the pleasure of zip lining(again) and cave tubing with one of the funniest guides I have ever come across! Which is a very good thing because had he been a bad guide, I probably would not have enjoyed the experience so much.

Zip lining is what it is, you dangle by a harness & rope then fly through the trees. As far as I am concerned, you can't ever go wrong with that.

Cave tubing on the other hand, was not what I expected. Don't get me wrong, it was great and the hike to the starting point was breathtaking but I expecting it to be a lot more "exciting" and free. Instead it was VERY controlled and it had to be, considering that there were at least 150 of us there all trying to do the same thing, at the same time.

We had to be put into groups of 8-10 and tied together(by our tubes) then we were released, one group at a time with the guide controlling the pace and direction the entire time. Needless to say, the the day dreams I had about floating down the river alone and stopping at my leisure "national geographic style" to explore with my headlamp were just that, daydreams.

Like I said before though, I still enjoyed it very much, it just wasn't what I expected it to be. Our guide was wonderful and VERY informative. The views of the jungle, crystal clear waters, stalactites, stalagmites, cenotes(which are not called cenotes in Belize), and waterfalls inside the cave were all AMAZING and the float down the river was nice, slow and relaxing. Had I gone into this excursion expecting the "river part" to be a slow, relaxing float rather than a slightly tamer version of single person white water rafting, I think I would have been 100% satisfied with the experience.

Overall, I would recommend both cave tubing and zip lining in Belize just make sure you know what to expect. We went to Caves Branch Outspost which hosts several independent tour companies within Nohoch Che'en National Park. Our tour guide Peter was great!!! I would return to Belize just to hang out with him! They have lockers and our group was provided a delicious Belizean lunch included in the price.

I hope to return to Belize once day to scuba dive, visit mayan ruins, do a riverboat wildlife tour and MUCH more! My overall experience in Belize was unBELIZEable!

Gear Patrol

L
L
Yes, my wife and I stayed at Caves Branch in one of those truly amazing treehouses. We did the cave tour and had a blast. Definetly should be on your bucket list!

L
L
I am planning a trip in May. We are going to arrive in Belize City and go next day to Cave Tubing... can you advise where you stayed? We will go to San Pedro from there for the rest of the week.
Thanks
Lynne

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 354 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.