Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
A
This cave and any cave I've been in in Belize has several chambers, all at different levels.
Yes, I'm quite sure, as I had to put 28 columns in it to hold up my building.
They all went from the roof, 24" or so down, to 18 feet, 5 feet of sand in bottom of cave had to be jetted out of the way when we lowered the columns with Lizz Ross' crane.
Don't know who's well you looked at, but is wasn't mine.
Both wells on my property were down through 18" of sand, then 6" of laha, (roof of cave), then black void that nearly 20 feet of rebar could be lowered into.
The entrance is right behind the property, and I don't think it's as deep as you say?
According to OJ , there are many side shafts perpendicular to the main passage.

Last edited by artisan; 12/17/12 04:36 PM.
C
C
Wow, how exciting! Want want want! Suddenly, sidemount doesn't seem like such a dumb idea anymore, eh? Ok, go on diet, get cavetraining, GO! Never mind 'organic material' (there is a shorter word for that, with an s..) raining down on us. Thanks for the video, and for getting the expedition together so this wonder of nature isn't lost to us any longer!

LOL, don't know if you are joking or not Chris, but seeing the video and some of the follow-up comments led me to believe that cave divers would only be more interested in mapping the cave system.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

:-) yep Side Mount doesn't help much if the Beer gut sticks out more than the tank :-)

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Im with Elbert on this one,

Its interesting but I will stick to having a clear route to the surface so I can help myself if needed.

Nothing down there that interests me but their is a small market for cave divers and that is something unique that BDS can offer, lets just hope untrained folk do not attempt to enter history has shown what that results in.

Last edited by Gaz Cooper; 12/19/12 01:59 AM.
D
D
Sorry I was mistaken. So your well was 18 ins deep when you met the roof of the cave which was 6 ins thick, and under that is the open space of the cave itself?

I saw a different well dug and thought it was yours.

The well I saw being dug for concrete water to build the building was dug down through less than two ft of sand, but they didn't find water so they busted the laha and found the usual layer of foul smelling mud, then a layer of compressed material like peat. They never could dig through the peat and the muck to clean water.
That one was a normal well with the laha broken like the dozens I dug elsewhere. In every other well on CC is like that, with layers of muck,sand and laha like a layer cake, repeating as you dig.

I guess your main well is unique in the fact that it accesses the roof of the cave right under the surface. Quite interesting to someone like me who has studied so many wells and the water supply on the Caye. Thanks for the update.

C
C
Gaz, it takes all kinds. Some people read Stephen King, watch horror movies or bungee jump to get that pleasant shudder, others like caves.. For me, these stalactite formations are well worth seeing. As you say, as long as nobody goes in without the appropriate training or without going through BDS, unsupervised. And yes, Elbert, you got the idea! Not so much beer gut but boobs and butt in this case, but that restriction looks pretty tight! If I get stuck, Chip may have to lay an umbilical with air down there, so I can stay, fasting, till I can wiggle back out.

To dive a cave a person has to be certified in diving caves and a certified nut as well. smile
I like that one of the divers had a rebreather, this would reduce the amount of sediment from the roof. This would also keep Caye Caulker from falling into the cave, which I am sure the residents would appreciate.

John deVerteuil
A
A
A rebreather is going to stop Caye Caulker from falling into the cave?
This is too funny!
This seems to be a local resentment generated reoccurring theme.
Not a day goes by that some local and even some ex-pats who really should know better, repeat the ridiculous rumor that the split or my building will "any minute now" fall into the cave.
The split's been there for 20 years, my place has a "to-cave-floor" foundation.
Keep spreading the word, "A+" for diligence!

D
D
Most folks don't know that the only person who ever measured it says there is more than thirty feet of laha under the split, and a lot more than that elsewhere, up to 80 ft.
All other statements are being made by people who have never been in the cave or made any measurements.
Unless you count the guys who drive in pilings and think they have xray vision underground. My crew has driven in dozens of pilings, through soft layers and hard down to about twenty four feet max. The uneducated workers stood around talking about the cave as we drove them in, just like that day at the Split.

There is an old story about a building that fell in the cave about fifty years ago after it had fallen apart, down behind Oceanside. I talked to old Mr. marsh who loved that story. He was about 95 when he told me that he was one of those who slipped in that night and recycled the whole building and said it fell in the cave.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 351 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day