Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
#454096 12/24/12 08:12 AM
2 Images
Marty Offline OP
John McAfee's Last Stand

"Maybe what happened didn't actually happen," John McAfee told Wired contributing editor Joshua Davis in Belize.

Twelve weeks before the murder, John McAfee flicks open the cylinder of his Smith & Wesson revolver and empties the bullets, letting them clatter onto the table between us. A few tumble to the floor. McAfee is 66, lean and fit, with veins bulging out of his forearms. His hair is bleached blond in patches, like a cheetah, and tattoos wrap around his arms and shoulders.

More than 25 years ago, he formed McAfee Associates, a maker of antivirus software that went on to become immensely popular and was acquired by Intel in 2010 for $7.68 billion. Now he's holed up in a bungalow on his island estate, about 15 miles off the coast of mainland Belize. The shades are drawn so I can see only a sliver of the white sand beach and turquoise water outside. The table is piled with boxes of ammunition, fake IDs bearing his photo, Frontiersman bear deterrent, and a single blue baby pacifier.

McAfee picks a bullet off the floor and fixes me with a wide-eyed, manic intensity. "This is a bullet, right?" he says in the congenial Southern accent that has stuck with him since his boyhood in Virginia.

"Let's put the gun back," I tell him. I'd come here to try to understand why the government of Belize was accusing him of assembling a private army and entering the drug trade. It seemed implausible that a wildly successful tech entrepreneur would disappear into the Central American jungle and become a narco-trafficker. Now I'm not so sure.

But he explains that the accusations are a fabrication. "Maybe what happened didn't actually happen," he says, staring hard at me. "Can I do a demonstration?"

He loads the bullet into the gleaming silver revolver, spins the cylinder.

"This scares you, right?" he says. Then he puts the gun to his head.

My heart rate kicks up; it takes me a second to respond. "Yeah, I'm scared," I admit. "We don't have to do this."

"I know we don't," he says, the muzzle pressed against his temple. And then he pulls the trigger. Nothing happens. He pulls it three more times in rapid succession. There are only five chambers.

"Reholster the gun," I demand.

He keeps his eyes fixed on me and pulls the trigger a fifth time. Still nothing. With the gun still to his head, he starts pulling the trigger incessantly. "I can do this all day long," he says to the sound of the hammer clicking. "I can do this a thousand times. Ten thousand times. Nothing will ever happen. Why? Because you have missed something. You are operating on an assumption about reality that is wrong."

It's the same thing, he argues, with the government's accusations. They were a smoke screen-an attempt to distort reality-but there's one thing everybody agrees on: The trouble really got rolling in the humid predawn murk of April 30, 2012.

CLICK HERE for the rest of the article in WIRED
1 Comments
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Belize's Prime Minister Dean Barrow speaks on McAfee's erratic behavior

Both local and international media have been trying to find answers as it relates to the murder investigation and if the Belizean Government will be requesting an extradition for McAfee from the US. In so doing, NBC Dateline had attempted to speak with Belize Prime Minister Dean Barrow and with the help of The San Pedro Sun was able to do so on Friday December 14th. PM Barrow told NBC Dateline that while there is an extradition agreement between Belize and the US, the only way McAfee could be extradited to the country is if charges are laid against him - which is not the case since he is just wanted for questioning. "My recollection of the way the treaty works is that we would have to have charges waiting for McAfee before we can seek his extradition. In other words you can't seek to extradite somebody merely because that person is of interest; merely because the person is needed for questioning. I believe extradition can only kick in where there are charges that have been levied against the person you seek to extradite," said Barrow, who is also a well respected attorney in Belize.

And while getting McAfee would remain a challenge for authorities in Belize, the family of Faull continues to search for answers and hopes to find closure with the success of the murder investigation. According to multiple international media reports, Faull's family has indicated that they believe that the Belize Police does not have the will to solve the case and that they have been kept in the dark as it relates to the investigation. While PM Barrow could not say how much the Police have been communicating with the family, he did say that if the case is such, then it is regrettable and he is willing to follow up with the relevant people. "It they have not been communicating with the family of Faull then it is regrettable. I have certainly thought that Mr. McAfee, with all his antics has succeeded in elbowing aside what really is the tremendous tragedy that overtook the family. The fact that there has been a murder and the fact that, that is what we should be concentrating on - attempting to solve this murder," explained PM Barrow.

As to where the investigation into the Faull's murder stands, PM Barrow says he "hopes" the murder does not go "unsolved." Meanwhile police believe that McAfee may be able to give "key information" that can help them solve the murder. The Police in Belize have indicated that if McAfee is not questioned the investigation will remain at a "stall."

Media reports from the US indicate that McAfee has since taken residence in Miami, USA and is in the process of liquidating his properties in Belize. While he managed to elude authorities in Belize, now that he is back in the US, he faces a $5Million lawsuit over the 2007 death of an Arizona businessman, Robert Gilson. The Gilson family blames McAfee for the horrific crash involving the father of three who was taking lessons in 'aero-trekking' - a sport that McAfee invented himself and involves flying a trike with an engine at speeds of 75mph, similar to those he used for his Toucan Fly business in San Pedro Town. McAfee had been living in Belize since 2008, avoiding that very same lawsuit, which was brought up against him hours after his return to the United States of America from Guatemala.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.