Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
A NEW THOUGHT FOR THE NEW YEAR.
DON'T RE-ACT - THINK IT OVER.

Legalize marijuana and have it sold only in government operated outlets. Lots of $$$ and flocks of people would come to the island or the country.

Hey - I've never used it - alcohol and cigarettes did everything I needed. But doesn't mean that there aren't others who can handle it.

Since we can't get rid of the dealers/users let's out do them.

We could make it legal to grow and the farmers could market the hemp but sell only the (what's it called?) buds to the outlets who could then charge (multiply the dollars) for it making a handy profit.

If enough money was made, by say the town board, then we could eliminate property taxes.

There probably would even be enough money left over to run rehab centers for that 10% of the population that gets too addicted to function.

We aren't getting anyplace with the way it is.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
T
Tom Offline
T
Been my thought for awhile. You are absolutely right.
I don't use but do know others who do.
Kat

B
B
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
A NEW THOUGHT FOR THE NEW YEAR.
DON'T RE-ACT - THINK IT OVER.

Legalize marijuana and have it sold only in government operated outlets. Lots of $$$ and flocks of people would come to the island or the country.

Hey - I've never used it - alcohol and cigarettes did everything I needed. But doesn't mean that there aren't others who can handle it.

Since we can't get rid of the dealers/users let's out do them.

We could make it legal to grow and the farmers could market the hemp but sell only the (what's it called?) buds to the outlets who could then charge (multiply the dollars) for it making a handy profit.

If enough money was made, by say the town board, then we could eliminate property taxes.

There probably would even be enough money left over to run rehab centers for that 10% of the population that gets too addicted to function.

We aren't getting anyplace with the way it is.

Great concept and I agree; however, who in their right mind would trust the GOB, or any government for that matter, to effectively and honestly run such a cash cow. It would be manna from heaven for the many brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles, nieces and nephews of the elected powers that be.

OP Offline
Of course the gov employees would get rich quick - but they are going to anyway so why not at least let everyone else be happy?
But maybe there is another group who is more deserving of the cash cow? Like YOU & ME? ha ha ha

Harriette
E
E
Ha! Seems to me that y'all are already tokin !

D
D
And then with the high price of "legal" pot, everyone would buy the cheaper illegal stuff.

DC

M
M
You mean to tell me that marijuana is illegal here?

S
S

S
S
Landlords should read section 11...

You think pot is the only drug they are selling? That would be like making beer legal but rum not.
I am not against making pot legal, but that will not solve the drug problem. And, I am not sure you want to increase tourism by making Belize a place to get legal drugs even if it only be pot.

Last edited by bywarren; 12/26/12 11:26 PM.
A
A
Flawed logic there.
Beer and rum, alcohol period kills more people than all other drugs combined.
If they can make the "DRUG" alcohol legal, and it is most definitely a drug, why not specifically other drugs?
And why not make it a pot destination? (like it isn't now!)
Amsterdam does a great weed-tourist business and has crime rates far lower than US cities, forget about here.

Last edited by artisan; 12/26/12 11:54 PM.
OP Offline
Why not make 'pot' just another cigarette? Does anyone remember Lucky Strikes old slogan "So round, so firm, so fully packed?" Wouldn't a processing/packaging plant be another good business opportunity for Belizeans?
Come on - think solutions!

Harriette
Your exactly right, Artisan. It is flawed logic. Making one drug out of many legal, does not get rid of drug dealers.

The legality or otherwise of certain drugs is not the issue for our tourists. It's the constant drug dealer harassment of our tourist guests, the majority of whom don't want drugs, which is causing a huge problem to our tourist industry. Look, Mom, Pop and their 6 and 8 year old children are probably not ideal candidates for the purchase of drugs but that does not stop our sicko drug dealers from harassing them as soon as they step on to Front Street, Central Park or the beach.

If a tourist wants to score some pot or any other illegal drug it should certainly not be done in family frequented areas. In Playa Del Carmen you will NOT be approached by drug dealers on beaches, walking streets etc. but if you want drugs you can get them, just ask your taxi driver, hotel concierge or any other local in the know.

We have to protect our tourist guests from the present and persistent crude approach work of the 30 or more drug dealers who openly ply their trade in tourist areas of the island. Ambergris Caye should not be seen as a "pot destination" ...rather we are a place where sun, sea, diving, fishing, snorkeling etc. are the main attractions. It can still be a place where pot is available but the transaction needs to be private and out of non-drug-seeking tourist guests faces. The majority of tourists are not out to score pot when they arrive on the island. Especially not during this family oriented time of year.

A
A
You are missing the point completely.
If it's legalized and regulated JUST like alcohol, you'll purchase it in a store.
Pot dealers and the black market will be a thing of the past.
You don't have people approaching, harassing you to buy a Belikin now do you?

A
A
Warren, you still don't get it, when the made alcohol legal, bootleggers had to get jobs!
Have another bottle of your drug.

S
S
"In Playa Del Carmen you will NOT be approached by drug dealers on beaches, walking streets etc."

I was there in September and couldn't walk more than a few feet on Fifth without being solicited for drugs (in the middle of the day). On one occasion police were within 50' of me. It was so blatant and persistent I don't think I'll be returning.

Simon, that's bad news. I was there with my wife in September for 5 days, at no time were we approached. Plenty of fairly awful hustling to get us into gift shops was the worst we experienced.

Artisan, No, the point is, we need to keep the drug dealers away from openly soliciting our tourists.

I'm not saying tourists shouldn't have access to drugs, that's a bit too much to expect. I'm saying they should have to make their own inquiries away from family frequented areas.

"Utopia" would be legalization of pot and other softer drugs and enforcement of bans on the heavy stuff, but that's a combination which will never happen.

"Legalize marijuana and have it sold only in government operated outlets."

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!
SOMEBODY ON THE HARD STUFF HERE? laugh

Brudah...dat be funny right dare!!!!

You crAck me up Ry , always have the twist smile

Reality..What a concept!
A
A
[quote=Rykat]"Legalize marijuana and have it sold only in government operated outlets."

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!
SOMEBODY ON THE HARD STUFF HERE? laugh

It would seem he cracks himself up, (and types it simultaneously).
Again, you guys over-complicate everything, Government outlets?
Is that where you go to get your alcohol drug?
Get real and climb down off your 19th century horses.

M
M
I think it's a great step toward working to solve some of the huge problems that are facing our beautiful island. We could solve a whole lot of problems by simply conducting some brainstorming sessions, and that's kind of what this forum does. The rules of brainstorming are to throw out ANY and ALL ideas, with absolutely NO JUDGEMENT. You go back and assess them for feasibility and likelihood to solve the problem later on, but you don't kill the messenger for their potential solution. And the crazier the idea, the better. It leads to the best solution, every time! In the words of one of the best all-time thinker/problem-solver, Albert Einstein, "You cannot solve a problem from the same consciousness that created it. You must learn to see the world anew.""We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

One of the best things this island could do, is CLEAN UP! Every tourist I talk to says the same thing, "Why are the beaches so dirty?" I'm not talking about seaweed either, I'm talking about the absolutely atrocious amount of shear, disgusting garbage. No one wants to spend money to go somewhere and feel gross about even walking along the waters edge. Once you start to build pride in your community by keeping it clean, you start to clean up other garbage as well, and then another step, and another, and then you just have fun continuing to build on the momentum.

I help major corporations all over the world to create new and improved cultures, and it all starts with a long-term vision (via brainstorming). Then, a gap analysis of where we are now compared to where we want to be (the vision). Next, put a step-action plan in place with measurables and deliverables, and regular evaluations and communications. You have to approach this with logic and solutions. Healthy discussion is the only way to get buy-in, and again, the best solutions. Attacking each other, on the other hand, is the kiss of death. Focus on the problem, not the person.

S
S
Great post, MayaHouse! The garbage does seems to be even worse than usual - it washes up with storms, strong winds (makes for good beach combing, but that is another topic!). Recycling continues to be an opportunity (so many help me with recycling bottles)! And those trash bags filled with brush/grass clippings could be used for fill or gardening....

In any case, your post makes for a thought provoking 2013 with hope for encouragement for creative ideas/ out of box thinking. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

M
M
Thanks! Let's all get excited about working together on a fantastic 2013 and WELL BEYOND for our beloved country of Belize!!

R
R
But, if pot is legalized, wouldn't they have to cancel the "instant holidays" when bales wash ashore at Mexico Rocks?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 217 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.