Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#454285 12/29/12 07:58 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
For the first time in a year, Belize has an Ombudsman. Lionel L. Arzu, was officially sworn in as the new Ombudsman this morning in Belmopan by Governor-General Sir Colville Young.

Arzu is expected to be in office on the first day of January, 2013. According to an official release, the PG resident leaves behind his job teaching at Julian Cho Technical in Toledo.

Arzu holds a Master of Science Degree in International Commerce and Policy from Valparaiso University and a Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts with Management and Computer Science concentration from Knoxville College.

Will he be able to withstand the rigors of being the champion of the down-trodden? We hope to ask him next week.

Channel 7

Marty #454511 01/03/13 08:26 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The Ombudsman Speaks

And now Hector Hylton's family has someone they can take their grievance to.

That's because the new Ombudsman is in office.

Lionel Arzu reported to work today - and we stopped in to ask the Toledo resident why he wanted what must be the toughest job in town:

Lionel Arzu - New Ombudsman
"Lionel Arzu is from Punta Gorda, as most people might be aware. I come from humble beginnings down in the south, and when I look at the job description in short, it's to be the voice of the voiceless. And so, I believe that because that, I will be able to just do that for the people who come to the office, and request assistance from the Ombudsman."

Daniel Ortiz
"Tell us a bit about the experience you have in what is required to be the Ombudsman."

Lionel Arzu
"Way back in the 80's, I worked with the Agricultural Department, and within that job, you have to be working with farmers and fighting for the things that farmers need. And so, from that angle, I realized that if I am able to do that for those farmers in those years that I worked, I can do the same for a greater population. The contract is from January 1, 2013 to January 1, 2016. Today is my first day."

Daniel Ortiz
"And how do you feel so far on the job? Is it measuring up to your expectation? What's your feeling?"

Lionel Arzu
"I am feeling optimistic. I believe that a lot has been said, and my only thing now is to prove that yes, I am worthy of the office, and I intend to just carry out my duties to best of my ability. I think that's important. People need assurance; people need to be certain that, you know what, he will get it done the best way possible, and the quickest way possible. And so, that's why I want to do. For me, I am a person who likes actions, and whatever it takes to get the process shortened, I will do that to facilitate people because I can understand when people come, and they've been there, and to other places, and nothing seems to work. And so, whatever it to get them going, the necessary contacts, the talking to people so that things gets rolling, I am willing to do that. My duty, here as the Ombudsman, is to be fair. As to the political allegations, I don't want to be back and forth with those who believe that I am a UDP, or I am a PUP. For me, it's about getting the job done, and that is all I want to do, get the job done. I've heard all the arguments about the 'P' part, but I don't intend to be playing this out in the public. I just want to do what I have to do within the scope of the law of the Ombudsman Act."

Mr. Arzu last worked as a teacher at Julian Cho Technical High School.

He holds a Master of Science Degree in International Commerce and Policy from Valparaiso University; a Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts with Management and Computer Science concentration from Knoxville College.

Channel 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 345 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.