Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#455389 01/16/13 03:33 PM
D
dwilken Offline OP
OP Offline
D
folks, i'm the guy with the kayak thread. my next issue.... i read an old thread that i can't find now in which someone explained to bring light rubber "bait" instead of cranks & spinners etc... it was a great thread. i was wondering about color though. should i get bright and wild, or dark color rigs. i'll be staying on the far southern tip and hope to fish right out back as well as at the split. not much of a guide guy.... i live on lake erie and have fished since i was in diapers. anyway, any tips would be appreciated-dave

J
J

You can use anything that looks and acts like a sardine. I have been fishing at the Caye for the last five years and sardines are the best. I also use #4 circle hooks. It allows you to release the fish unharmed. If you're fishing for Permit you'll need some live crabs. If you fishing for some snapper at the split....cut up some hot dogs.
Good Luck and tight lines...

M
M
Haywood Curry at Anglers Abroad may be a good resource.

http://www.anglersabroad.com/index.htm

J
J
Mike.....

he said he's not a "guide guy".

If he wants a guide I'd have said Heywood or Parnell Coc.

J
J
Mike....I just checked the "sea dreams" website...I apologize...Haywood is available for shore fishing information. I couldn't find his room rates online...have you stayed there?

Joe

M
M
I have not stayed there. The place is beautiful though! Haywood and Heidi are wonderful folk and I'm sure a chat with him will yield very useful information about shore fishing on the caye.

D
dwilken Offline OP
OP Offline
D
thanks for the info. if i'm fishing for my supper and used to mild fish (crappies, yellow perch, bluegills) what should i be fishing for? and thanks for the hook tip, i wondered what size to bring. all my stuff is for pan fish or walleyes-dave

D
D
If you stay at their lovely little spot you can walk to the front shore,flats in back, the Split at night, and the mangroves on North Island.
All three in less than one minute.
Chatting with Haywood who lives at the hotel is a big plus.
The hotel profits help support the High School. They are among the Founders.
Lots of small snappers and grunts near shore, Lionfish aren't bad to eat either and are an important invasive fish to reduce numbers.

Last edited by Dane; 01/17/13 06:51 PM.
D
dwilken Offline OP
OP Offline
D
thanks dane. do you think i'd be better off with bait instead of artificials?

D
D
I have good luck with both. Live is easy to buy at modest prices if you don't have a small cast net.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day