BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
docmike Offline OP
OP Offline
D
This is to let everyone know about the February 2, 2013 fundraiser to benefit the Humane Society & Animal Shelter at Caye Caulker.

It will be held at Caye Caulker's Barrier Reef Sports Bar from 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. this saturday, and features the best BBQ & Burgers anywhere in Belize.
Our sponsors are offering a list of door prizes ranging from local fishing tackle, crafts, and artworks to meals at the finest restaurants on the island.

C
C
It has come to the attention of The Caye Caulker Humane Society that a fundraiser is being held today and alot of folks think is is for us. As the Director I just found out about this event yesterday. All fundraising for the benifit of animals is a good thing if it is truly going to that purpose. There are only two Humane Societys on Caye Caulker that are sanctioned by the country of Belize. Us,The Caye Caulker Humane Society and Madi Collins who operates PAWS cat sancuary. We are also a registered 501c non profit in the U.S.The Caye Caulker Humane Society is not invovled with putting on todays event. We will be having our annual Dog Wash with free Vet checkups etc on Feb 23rd on the beach by The Oceanside.

Originally Posted by Cooper
It has come to the attention of The Caye Caulker Humane Society that a fundraiser is being held today and alot of folks think is is for us. As the Director I just found out about this event yesterday. All fundraising for the benifit of animals is a good thing if it is truly going to that purpose. There are only two Humane Societys on Caye Caulker that are sanctioned by the country of Belize. Us,The Caye Caulker Humane Society and Madi Collins who operates PAWS cat sancuary. We are also a registered 501c non profit in the U.S.The Caye Caulker Humane Society is not invovled with putting on todays event. We will be having our annual Dog Wash with free Vet checkups etc on Feb 23rd on the beach by The Oceanside.

Hello Cooper,
Thank you for clarifying the situation regarding sanctioned Humane Societies on Caye Caulker. Our organization has a community outreach program which aims to redress the impact tourism has on the local community both environmentally and economically. (@myrentalstrust). Our program connects with local projects and events where we bring volunteers and funds. Currently we are working to set up a program on Ambergris Caye with local organizations, but after that we will focus on our Caye Caulker project.

I am reaching out to connect with you and other organizations on Caye Caulker that might read this post and be interested in co-sponsored events that fit our Foundations aims. PM me to explore the opportunities.

Belize reducing tourism impact
C
C
So if Cooper is saying the fundaraiser wasn't for the Humane Society, who exactly was it for? Inquiring minds want to know...

M
M
I might add....did Tommy know it was at his bar and did he know who the beneficiary was?

C
C
It was for Kenny, that lives in the little shack on the lot by the new store, he used to have alot of cats and fixes bikes. As he has no authority and is not sanctioned by the Country of Belize to operate as a shelter or Humane Society. Tommy had asked them to donate some of the money raised to us as he and Amanda are backers of us, especially Amanda but we were never informed about this until the day before. Our board of Directers declined the offer as next thing you know everyone is going to want to use us to make money for themselves. This was a couple that moved here that had good intentions to help that arranged everything. I contacted alot of the sponsers and they mostly all thought it was for us, I believe some withdrew thier donations. What a mess, but you cant just use The Humane Society as an advertising gimmick without even coming to us to discuss it. Newbies here want to help, and they have alot of energy to help thier new home, but not enough time involved here to understand the community. I know, I was a newbie myself, and I want to thank this couple for diving in and trying to do something to help. Amanda does alot for us but she is not on The Board of Directors, If Tommy mentioned something to her at the bar late after a busy night and the message was not relaid proper...oh well, those things happen at bars. She is a volunteer, she is a god send to us but she is not on the board, this was a board issue. Knowone came to us.

D
docmike Offline OP
OP Offline
D
[img:center]https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Caye-Caulker-Animal-Shelter[/img]
We want to thank everyone for their hardwork & generosity on behalf of the animals at The Caye Caulker Animal Shelter.
We raised $860.00 at the fundraiser.

C
C
I am glad. This was a tough call. I like Kenny, he is a good man, he worked for years with Belize Dive Services, Dawn and Kathy who used to be the animal care folks. When you get legal here, you have to remain under the watch of the government, Kenny has built dog houses for us. Wish him well.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day