Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45715 11/24/01 01:45 PM
C
OP Offline
C
i and four others will be in ac from 9 jan thru 15 jan. we will of course be carrying cameras and film. is 35mm and 120mm readily available and is there a place for processing on the caye. what about the cost of film/processing in ac? and, finally, are there any comments about photographic film being x-rayed at the airport(s). anybody's film fogged? suggestions?

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
>is 35mm and 120mm readily available<

I don't know about the 120mm, 35mm can be bought all over, but the costs down there are outa site. I take 20 to 30 rolls per 1 wk trip and if you consider paying 50 to 100 percent more per role and don't mind paying for it go for it. Other things to consider is if they have the iso/asa speed you want, how about print or slide film? Pro or over the counter films, will you 'push' any film? Also the freshness is a factor in film quality, film does not like heat and high humidy, you can loss color balance if exposed to either for a long period of time. So it really depends on your needs and budget.

>and is there a place for processing on the caye.<

I'm sure there is, but then again the processing cost could floor you.

>finally, are there any comments about photographic film being x-rayed at the airport(s). anybody's film fogged? suggestions? <

Never had a problem, they use such low levels of radiation that it takes a lot of trips through the detectors to do any damage. I would be much more concerned with your photo skills to produce quality photos than the x-rays.
If you are really concerned about the x-rays you could wrap the film in lead, but be for warned it is not worth the hassle.

[This message has been edited by Idaho_diver (edited 11-24-2001).]

B
B
To Idaho Diver,

Trips to and from Costa Rica damaged some of my film in the xray machines. This trip I am going to pack film in checked luggage to see if it is any better.

The Original Bad Dog
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Bad Dog,

>Trips to and from Costa Rica damaged some of my film in the xray machines. This trip I am going to pack film in checked luggage to see if it is any better.>

'SOME' The x/ray radiation goes through ALL the contents, So how do you explain 'SOME'.

'Checked luggage' Lets see now, If I read the new security laws correctly All checked luggage will be checked. Now, you can still put your film in a lead lined container to protect it. But I would not want to put up with the hassle.

Maybe if you told us what 'SOME' of the photos looked like, maybe a better answer could be given other than the 'x-rays' didn't do it. Sorry, I don't buy it. From what I have found it's me or the photo lab that screwed it up... but usually me.

[This message has been edited by Idaho_diver (edited 11-24-2001).]

Undr normal conditions the X-ray systems will not affect photographic film. The higher the film speed the more susceptable,
100-300 asa is not a problem.

I would suggest only using the local processor for shots you MUST see immediately...other than the expense, the quality isn't consistant.

Grace DeVita
I'm with Idaho Diver, i always take 30 rolls down mostly 200 ASA. Films fresher in the states, and prices are better for the film i want. Sometimes i bring some portrait film, never find that in San Pedro...

I process when i return, the chemicals are fresher. Prices lower.I have taken hundreds and hundreds of rolls back through the checkin and carry on, never had a bit of trouble.

C
OP Offline
C
thanks for all the replies. I think we'll ask for the film to be hand-checked. Should the answer be no, then we'll comply and at least have it checked as carry-on and possibly avoid the supposed stronger x-rays used on checked baggage. again, thanks.

B
B
We agree with Marty. We live here and bring film with us from the states when we visit. We usually try to have a friend take back exposed rolls and send us the prints. Getting film developed here is about twice as expensive as in the states. If we want something quick we use our digital camera.

Mike & Dawn www.barefootwatersports.net

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.