Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Rose's Grill and Bar has become an institution on the island of Caye Caulker and an internationally renowned favourite of locals and tourists seeking some authentic Belizean grilled flavor. But the grilling, which earned the thirteen year old establishment its fame, is also currently the source of its problems. The Caye Caulker Village Council says it has received numerous complaints from residents who have been affected by the smoke and it wants the owner, Edwardo Arceo, to relocate his grill to the rear of the building. And to apply a little pressure to the decision-making process, the Council has refused to renew Arceo's liquor license which expired on January thirty-first. News Five was on the island of Caye Caulker to find out if the issue is really the smoke or if that's just a smokescreen to cover up some good old-fashioned victimization. Here's that story with Carla Bradley.

Edwardo Arceo, Rose's Grill & Bar

"I established this restaurant on the eighteenth of April and that is thirteen years ago. I was first grilling for locals like chicken, pork, ribs and even wild animals and then divert three years after into tourism and I start sea food. Since then this island has become more popular into tourism because Caye Caulker only have like eight years that we have more return customers. So basically Rose's plays a big role in tourism."

Carla Bradley, Reporting

And a lot of that popularity, according to young business owner Edwardo Arceo, is because of the grill portion of the grill and bar. According to Chairman of the Caye Caulker Village Council Alberto Villanueva, while the establishment is renowned internationally and is a tourist favorite, Arceo's neighbors have complained about the smoke from the grill, and that has forced them to take action.

Alberto Villanueva

Alberto Villanueva, Chairman, Caye Caulker Village Council

"In his case last year he was given notice that he needed to relocate his grill. So last January he had to relocate his grill that hasn't been the case. So the new liquor license year came up and we bonafide concerns from neighbors that the smoke has been an issue in whatever direction the wind is blowing. They have asked, they have expressed their concerns; us as the local authority have taken those concerns; we've told him that it is an issue he is faced with and we just ask him to relocate the grill. We are in no way shutting him down and we have also served him notice that you know if he relocates the grill, he is entitled to his liquor license. We are not shutting the restaurant down, we do not have that power, he is free to serve his food and non-alcoholic beverages. This is solely a liquor license issue."

Well it's not really a liquor license issue, strictly speaking, since those alleged complaints have all been about the grill and not the bar. But it works if the intention is to bring some pressure to bear. The Council wants Arceo to relocate his grill. He says it's not feasible. The Council claims that they have received numerous complaints and have an obligation to act on those complaints. Arceo says that is not true. He says the real smoke behind the fire is just political victimization.

Edwardo Arceo

Edwardo Arceo

"They are stating very clearly on the paper that I must move my grill form the front and put it to the back. The back of my restaurant is a thatched house that definitely will become a problem for fire department. In the front here, I have zinc that is not a problem for fire department and not a problem for health department as well. I know about hygiene, I know about food quality."

Alberto Villanueva

"It's based on not one complain but numerous complaints. We don't have medical documentation for smoke inhalation or the long term effects of smoke. I don't think there is any research in regards to that for the neighborhood or for Belize for that matter but we believe that you cannot be inconveniencing your neighbors and you know. Making money or a profit at their expense; we are looking at the well being of the entire neighborhood as well."

Edwardo Arceo

"I remember when elections was going on with village councils. I went totally against Albert Villanueva and he knows that every well. This is the result because I approach the liquor license board and they all tell me the same thing, this is a personal issue. This has nothing to do with the people complaining, the neighbors itself already signed that they don't have nothing to do with the complaining of this establishment. I have gathered more than four hundred signatures throughout the island and I make it my issue that all my neighbors around me sign it and they are right here, these are my neighbors. These are my direct neighbors."

But to counter those claims of specific victimization, Chairman Villanueva says that Arceo is actually only one of various businesses they have targeted because of the smoke from grilling.

Alberto Villanueva

"We have addressed it across the board. He is the last entity, the last individual that basically has not complied. We have about ten establishments that grill in or around the streets of Caye Caulker and they have complied as well."

So is it all about smoke or is it just a smokescreen for victimization? That depends on who you ask? For now, though, Arceo continues to operate Rose's Grill & Bar even though his liquor license expired on January thirty-first.

Arceo has retained the services of an attorney who he said is seeking a speedy resolution to his grilling woes.�

Channel 5

M
M
I say this is a smoke screen! If smoke is truly the issue why can't he be allowed to put in a vent to exhaust the smoke above buildings? The grill in front is a big draw for the tourists. The smell and seeing the fresh seafood MMMMMmmmmm. That is what drew us into the restaurant in the first place, but the great food and atmosphere is what keeps us going back.

My guess is that Eduardo refused to pay off Alberto's demands (aka "compliance"). Can anyone tell me if other grills are still operating on the streets?

J
J
Sounds and looks like Chicago politics has hit Caye CAulker.

Alberto is on a POWER TRIP. is there a woman involved also?

Who knows...leave it alone Alberto.

J
J
If smoke is really an issue...then why hasn't Alberto done anything about the black, intoxicating garbage smoke that all the Bahia Puesta Del Sol, aka the new site area residents have been complaining about? Daily we have to breath in that black heavy smoke from burnt plastic, rubber, cans..etc and even though they stated that they were going to get a barge to take the garbage to the city and be burnt there, nothing has been done about it yet. Daily they have to breath in that black heavy smoke from burnt plastic, rubber, cans..etc and even though they stated that they were going to get a barge to take the garbage to the city and be burnt there, nothing has been done about it yet.

This is a serious smoke issue, but Mr. Villanueva thinks that the food smoke is much worst so he rather act on Eduardo and blinds his 5 senses and humanity to new site!!!

A frequent visitor and a person who truly loves Caye CAulker.

Joe Pozzi

M
M
You can say that again Joe....an island character Ras got beat up by police for an overloaded boat and is now in a coma. I bet Alberto does nothing about this situation based on his inaction in the past toward inappropriate activity by the police force.

C
C
We get the toxic smoke from Ignacios dump about 75 yrds from our house. Its so full of toxins and plastic that our screens get all gummy and full of these small particles of stuff. I did call the fire dept once as I could hardly breath. The fire dept was here in about 5 minutes, that was a while ago. It still continues.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Caye Caulker business' license up in smoke

Rose's Grill and Bar is one of the most sought after restaurants in Caye Caulker. It has won a major European award and after more than a decade in business, the chances are that most visitors to the island will drop by for a taste of the local grilled cuisine. At the end of January, whether or not it is political as its owner, Edwardo Arceo claims, Rose's liquor license was not renewed. For a restaurant and bar, operating in a prime tourist destination, that is like having a birthday party without a cake. With the tourism season in full swing, Arceo says customers are staying away in numbers and the dip in business is threatening his livelihood.

Edwardo Arceo, Rose's Bar & Grill

Edwardo Arceo

"Well I can say my business had really going bad because they denied my license because I depend on tourists and most tourist are here to have fun and they will first order drinks and have maybe two, four drinks before lunch or dinner; and this really is affecting my business but I can say that maybe forty, fifty percent is affecting my business. So I am losing business because of this situation On a daily basis, and getting customers that are walking in and are walking out because there is no liquor, there is no beer and they want a cold beer or a glass of wine or a blended drink and there is no options more than juices, water or sodas and that's really affecting my business."

The village council says that the liquor license was not renewed because of complaints that the grill was billowing smoke to residents. Neighbors and the B.T.I.A. are supporting the local entrepreneur, but until cooler heads prevail, Arceo is losing customers and the visitors are deprived of a local hangout for authentic food.

Channel 7

M
M
I didn't know alcohol caused smoke? Politics is a strange sport.

M
M
Here is a similar story in the San Pedro Sun. Seems the stories don't match up between the owner of Rose's and the Chairman. Not sure who is telling the truth, but it is a shame that a small piece of the character of CC is being destroyed with this action. I have always enjoyed the aroma of the grills on the street and checking out the catch of the day.

C
C
Imagine smelling bbq smoke in your bedroom, livingroom and every other room in your house for 18 hours a day and not being able to just walk down the street to get away from it when it nauseates you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 319 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day