Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#457317 02/05/13 06:27 PM
D
dwilken Offline OP
OP Offline
D
well we're finally here and the rain stopped. nice day of snorkeling, time to fish. where do i buy the sardines??? i thought i'd walk out the dock and scoop some up with a pool type net. that was funny. maybe if i waited till dark and used a flasdhlight. anyways, looking for tips on catching bait and where to buy them. do i take a bucket with me, or are they frozen?????-thanks

D
dwilken Offline OP
OP Offline
D
i totally lucked out. locals were seining off of where we're staying. got too many sardines in the freezer now.-thanks for everything!!!

I had a great sandwich when I was in New York City at a Jewish Delicatessen - Sardines with big slab of Bermuda Onion. I've never had the nerve to try and make one myself - but that was Delicious. Does anyone have a recipe?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
I had a great sandwich when I was in New York City at a Jewish Delicatessen - Sardines with big slab of Bermuda Onion. I've never had the nerve to try and make one myself - but that was Delicious. Does anyone have a recipe?

Harriette, I think you aready have the recipe...."sardines with a big slab of Bermuda onion" grin

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
you are funny! What kinds of bread, dressing, pickles, etc? Is the sardine gutted? Cooked?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
I would surely think that the locals have or do eat sardines. I bet you could get a recipe from them. I'm going to try them next time we're down. I think if you get large fresh (as fresh as possible because the flesh deteriorates very quickly) ones, you could scale and filet them. Dredge in flour and then fry them. I love smelt.....with smelt all you have to do is remove the head, guts and fry them up.....very tiney scales and bones so you can eat the whoe thing.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
S
S

R
R
I love smelts also. Deep fried. I hate fishing for them in the cold around here. There are many Portuguese Markets around me that sell "Portuguese Sardines" deep fried on Fridays. I've had them and they are good but they are also larger than a regular sardine.

I hope the snow Friday doesn't interfere with my fish & chips at the market I go to now that you all have me thinking about it. I love New England fish & chips. I also love fish & chips in San Pedro when my wife makes it for me using snapper.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
Originally Posted by ragman
I love smelt also. Deep fried.

Fries with eyes...yum

Bear #457404 02/06/13 10:21 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Bear
Originally Posted by ragman
I love smelt also. Deep fried.

Fries with eyes...yum

NOPE...don't like my fish looking at me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day