Print Thread
Page 5 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 22 23
Re: Road Grading North Of The Bridge [Re: cayemaster] #457654
02/08/13 07:36 PM
02/08/13 07:36 PM
Birdland - 1 mile north
ScubaLdy Offline
ScubaLdy  Offline
NOBody - Are you kidding? Trucks have no impact? Yes, we always had pot holes and sand just doesn't hold and washes away (or down) with the first rains - BUT big ruts and deep holes are directly related to large vehicles.
I don't know which developer it was but someone north of me had a monster with all kinds of attachment and was fond of going up and down with nothing more than a bicycle in the scoop.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Re: Road Grading North Of The Bridge [Re: cayemaster] #457655
02/08/13 07:39 PM
02/08/13 07:39 PM
Ambergris Caye
R
robvee Offline
robvee  Offline
R
Sand is useless, needs to be graded stone with proper drainage

Re: Road Grading North Of The Bridge [Re: cayemaster] #457676
02/09/13 05:23 AM
02/09/13 05:23 AM
AC/Dallas,TX.
Nobody You Know Offline
Nobody You Know  Offline
Nope, not kidding. I don't see any gashes/trenches that look to be monster related.They seem to run across the road and are drainage/roadbed material related. The Skytracker never seems to leave gouges or deep indentations. I suppose my point was that any monster/taxi damage is inconsequential and not the reason for the conditions...

Re: Road Grading North Of The Bridge [Re: elbert] #457726
02/09/13 02:06 PM
02/09/13 02:06 PM
San Pedro
gosalgal Offline
gosalgal  Offline
Right on Elbert!!

I could not have said it better. As a resident past Mata Chica, the recent degradation of the road is the worst in many years. Anyone who thinks the dump trucks are not wreaking the roads is an idiot.

They are just cheap SOB's not willing to pay for the barge.

The road should be maintained for golf carts and bikes.

Let the water taxis and work boats handle the rest. We did just fine for years until the trucks started messing things up.

David G

Re: Road Grading North Of The Bridge [Re: Nobody You Know] #457734
02/09/13 08:51 PM
02/09/13 08:51 PM
San Pedro AC
Capt. Hollywood Offline
Capt. Hollywood  Offline
I have been researching the road for the past year or so. Sometimes things are not obvious. Big trucks may not leave big ruts from the tires but if you have stood on the road while one of the big trucks have passed you can feel the ground shake or vibrate a little.
this is not the single problem with the road but one of many. It does however contribute and is part of a cumulative effect. I think robvee will agree with me.

Here is an example for those interested in reading more. when the trucks pass it is like a mini earthquake.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil_liquefaction

Re: Road Grading North Of The Bridge [Re: cayemaster] #457757
02/09/13 11:33 PM
02/09/13 11:33 PM
Ambergris Caye
R
robvee Offline
robvee  Offline
R
Yes agree very much, its accumalitive passes, but also the hydroscopic effect as heavy axles pass over sodden weak surfaces, ie mainly sand, water is pumped under pressure and causes the matrix to break up. This causes rapid breakup, also the more uneven a surface the great the stresses and strains, hence smoother roads last longer and are measured for smoothness as a contractor lays the asphalt. I know this is the most basic of road structures but these criteria still apply

Re: Road Grading North Of The Bridge [Re: cayemaster] #457783
02/10/13 10:47 AM
02/10/13 10:47 AM
AC/Dallas,TX.
Nobody You Know Offline
Nobody You Know  Offline
Um, not being a road expert or a big truck apologist, I concede...

Re: Road Grading North Of The Bridge [Re: cayemaster] #457785
02/10/13 11:44 AM
02/10/13 11:44 AM
Ambergris Caye
R
robvee Offline
robvee  Offline
R
Whatevers done just needs to be done properly so monies and resources arent wasted thats all im saying

Re: Road Grading North Of The Bridge [Re: cayemaster] #457798
02/10/13 07:32 PM
02/10/13 07:32 PM
Aptos, CA
Pam&Dave Offline
Pam&Dave  Offline
Just returned from a couple weeks on the island February 3rd. We have driven a cart to and from town on the back path since 2005 (area around Coco Beach) My back was ruined this trip! The large mud ponds were not the problems - all those small hard ruts were relentless. Today is the first day I can stand up straight without crazy pain. My back would not be able to handle that again (age I guess). The only other way to navigate (if you can afford it!) for the resident "northern travelers" would be to have a private boat (or boat pass & plan by their schedules) to and from town and keep a cart parked in town (space for that would have to be worked out according to whether or not you have an office space to park or rent a space). After giving this issue much thought - Living closer to town / or a bit south is starting to sound like a solution for us. We love it up North of the bridge, but with the huge projects just starting 3.7 miles up and several YEARS from completion, I'm done with that back breaking construction path. Just glad I can walk after a week of misery. Let's not even talk about the fight home. TACA was fantastic and moved passengers around so I could have three seats to curl up and cry...
I wish you all the best with the "killer path" - my pain is too fresh to give it much hope...

"Nothing can bring you peace but yourself"
Re: Road Grading North Of The Bridge [Re: cayemaster] #457799
02/10/13 07:46 PM
02/10/13 07:46 PM
AC/Dallas,TX.
Nobody You Know Offline
Nobody You Know  Offline
That is why I call the road,"The Trail of Tears."...

Page 5 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 22 23

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 499 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics70,173
Posts478,004
Members19,550
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.