Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#457958 02/13/13 01:09 AM
I
OP Offline
I
If we were able to gather flipflops and clothing for children and adults, and instead of bringing it on a plane in our luggage sent it in a box to say someone at a hotel or a local resident. Could it be ok or is there a potential problem with doing something like that? I am only asking as I would love to challenge some of my co-workers to a collection drive of such things but I am not fond of the thought of dragging all of it along with my luggage and some other things that have been asked for thru 3 airports. Plus there is a significant charge for extra baggage that would be better spent on the island....

There may be some way, but just to mail or ship it to someone would likely cost quite a bit in duty. Even sending birthday gifts costs the recipient, not only on value of gift but calculated on postage too.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Hello Islandreamer.....Very nice gesture on your part....Yes, you can mail items via US post office directly to the recipient....In fact I do it almost weekly through Amazon...That's how we are able to get things we cannot find in Belize. However, Seashell is correct....It will cost the recipient duty to include a percentage of the postage paid.....If you are willing to cover the duty I would be happy to receive your items....However, it is much less expensive to drag them with you.....Hope this helps.

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
C
C
Boy, I never spend more than $4,00 bze for my flip flops here,$2.00 U.S. at the mall across Brodies,Clothing is cheap here, why bring it in? We get great clothing from Guatamala and Mexico, very cheap. You need to know where to buy it. Tourist dont, but locals do. You want to do something cheap and helpful. Go to the dollar store, buy 100 reading glasses, as you walk around on vacation seeing older folks pass them out, they cost about $20 here.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Cooper #458024 02/14/13 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by Cooper
You want to do something... helpful. ...buy 100 reading glasses, ...older folks pass them out

Nice

I
OP Offline
I
Thank you for the information. I will re-think how to do this. I work with some members of the Lions Club, I will see what they can do to help with the glasses since I know we do collection drives all the time for that very thing.
I only suggested the flip flops and clothing as I have received some private messages asking for them.

I know the vet has been gathering supplies for SAGA for me to bring, I am trying to reaserch the stop smoking gum and will now work on the glasses and the clothing that was requested. I was able to get a larger case that is lighter so I may not have to worry about the additional baggage fee and that will help me have room to bring back the Marie Sharps that has been requested for here. See you all soon.

Be sure and wrap Marie Sharps well in bubble wrap if you have it, ziplocks and then plastic bag it. Had a bottle break in suitcase once but not a drop touched any clothing.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

When I came down last January I had one suitcase dedicated to items requested and donations to various places throughout the country. I had boxes of large quantities of condoms for the Poly Clinic of San Pedro; I had lots of school supplies, including dry erase markers and erasers for the teachers on SP, a few cute child clothing offerings, and sneakers for children. I told customs it was school supplies to donate and they didn't even ask me to open the suitcase. They just waived me through. They are really looking for items you might sneak in to sell or ars bringing to a retailer to sell to avoid appropriate duties and taxes. They generally appreciate the generosity.

Words have power. Speak it into existence.
that usually works, but not always. I have seen many go right through as you suggest. Then numerous others opened & duty applied, but usually at low values

variables = time of day/who is on duty/mood

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Agree with klcman. Sadly, I no longer bring donations. Still bring a gift or two but even than that can cause me some grief.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.