BELIZEAN CREOLE BREAD
YIELDS 6 LOAVES
2 lbs flour (8 cups or 900g)
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening or cooking oil (1/4 lb or 112 g)
2 tsp yeast (10ml)
2 tablespoons sugar or honey (30ml)
1 1/2 cup milk, coconut, evaporated or dried milk (375ml)
1. Set yeast. In 1/2 cup warm water place yeast, 2 tsp sugar, 2 tablespoon flour (optional) and set aside.... IF YOU ARE USING INSTANT ACTIVE YEAST JUST ADD YEAST TO DRY INGREDIENTS!!!
2. Warm milk, oil, sugar and salt and set aside. DO NOT BOIL!
3. Sift flour and remove 2 cups to add later if mixture is sticky and make a hole in center.
4. Mix yeast (not the instant one) and warm milk.
5. Add Milk mixture to flour and mix with a wooden spoon.
6. If sticky, add flour from the 2 cups you saved, a little at a time, until firm.
7. Flour surface you will work on (table or counter top) Knead until smooth without stretching dough.
8. Put in a greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth until double the size.
9. Punch down and knead again!
10. Make into 6 round balls.
11. Put in greased loaf pans and let rise again.
12. Bake at 400 degrees F/205 degrees C for 30 to 35 minutes.
REMEMBER IF DOUGH BECOMES STICKY ADD FLOUR UNTIL FIRM TO KNEAD...DO NOT PANIC!
3 TABLESPOON DRIED MILK ADDED TO ONE CUP OF WATER MAKES I CUP OF LIQUID MILK
WATER USED TO SET YEAST SHOULD NOT BE HOT AS HOT WATER KILLS YEAST AND BREAD WILL NOT RISE!
YOU MAY USE HONEY INSTEAD OF SUGAR
TO CUT DOWN ON FAT WHENEVER POSSIBLE USE NON FAT/ LOW FAT OF SKIMMED MILK!!!