Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
lkb740 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but I'd appreciate any info you could give!

We're 4 adults and 2 kids (aged 4) arriving to BZE. Initially we had planned the water taxi for the cost, but we now see that flying to San Pedro from Municipal airport will save each family about $180 in airfare. I imagine the taxi ride will cost around $20 or so, and we'll likely have to split up (or do they have mini-vans that could hold all of us?).

My question: is it reasonable to expect a fairly hassle-free transfer to the other airport? We'll have luggage and young kids. I can't help but think the savings is worth it, but it will be shlepping, for sure.

We're so excited!!!!

FLIGHTS
TROPIC AIR OR MAYA ISLAND AIR
International to San Pedro the cost of the ticket is US$78.65 one way or US$135.05 round trip.
Municipal to San Pedro the cost of the ticket is US$47.40 one way or US$81.30 round trip. To this you will need to add the US$45.00 (for up to 4 guests) taxi ride each way.

WATER TAXI
TROPIC FERRY
picks up at the international airport and drops off at your resort dock. US$85.00 one way and US$135.00 round trip.

The most cost effective option is to take a taxi from the International Airport to either the Caye Caulker Water Taxi Terminal or the San Pedro Water Taxi Terminal or Water Jet Xpress Terminal. The taxi ride takes about 30 minutes. Cost for a one way water taxi ticket is US$12.50 - $15.00 per person. Departure times from Belize City to San Pedro are 8am, 9am, 10:30am, 12pm, 1:30pm, 3pm and 4:30pm (CCWT schedule) and 7:30am, 9am, 10:30am, 12pm, 1:30pm, 3pm, 4pm, 5pm (SPWT schedule). Boat ride takes about 75 minutes. Please note that the boat ride can be long and bumpy if the wind is blowing hard.

P
P
When did the taxi go up to $45 US. I paid $25 two weeks ago. As far as is this doable - Yes, I do it all the time and have had friends do it with children(as young as three months) and also our young grandchildren.

J
J
Are carry-on refreshments allowed on the Belize City to Caye Caulker water taxi? I thnk the last one leaves at 5PM instead of 4:30 PM.

N
N
I caught a taxi from the airport to the Caye Caulker water taxi yesterday and it was 25$

J
J
Is that $25 belize dollars?

M
M
BZ$50 or US$25

L
lkb740 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
thanks for the replies, everyone! i think we'll do the flights from municipal. i'm a little worried about two 4 year olds on the water taxi; i hear it's pretty rough.

Our 3 kids started doing the taxi-to-municipal route, starting at 2 years of age. Advice I would give: make sure the car has air conditioning and request to use it; if there is any indication of motion sickness, give medication beforehand; if you have time, get a drink at the municipal airport cafe (if not motion sick-wouldn't make for a good flight over-just sit in the air conditioned office). The food at the cafe is great, too, but at least get them a drink and let them stretch their legs. The ride from international to municipal is usually very easy, but it can be hard to get used to the tropical climate at first. The car may not have the best shocks, and the roads can be bumpy, but the traffic usually isn't bad, and it is a quick ride. If you chat up the driver, he will usually give you a short history lesson on the way, or tell you what has been going on lately, how the fish have been biting, what that building is, etc. Email me if you need more info.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 271 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.