Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#460102 03/13/13 09:14 AM
OP Offline
Need advice...one of my neighbors has dogs that they totally neglect....chained up on extremely short chains 24/7, scarce food, no water unless I provide it, surrounded by their own feces, covered by ticks/flies/fleas etc. I do what I can for them so they don't suffer so much but I feel so helpless in this situation. I bugged SAGA till they came out and gave the people a warning but things changed for one day and then they were back to the same neglect stating that they are too busy. I called SAGA yesterday and supposedly they will come out again but I'm not too hopeful.
Now before I get lectured that this is the culture and that not every animal can be saved let me say that I understand that. Everyday I pass starving neglected dogs on the streets of San Pedro and I know I can't save them all but it's very difficult to deal with this cruelty and neglect when it's right in your own backyard.
Any advice?

Good morning Thetruebelize. It's wonderful that you are caring enough to try to help with these dogs. Please keep doing what you can to help but continue to work with SAGA. It may take time and patience, but they are a non profit and really stretched for time, volunteers and resources. Just keep working with them, communicate closely with them and follow up.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

OP Offline
Thanks Collyn for the encouragement. I will definitely continue helping those pups since I can't stand watching the suffering. I just can't help but feel like I'm becoming a pest to SAGA. I mean how many times can I call before they get sick of it? I guess am just feeling frustrated and helpless. I am going to start volunteering at SAGA starting this weekend but thats with dog walking etc. i don't have the authority to do anything with these pups.

frown

Thetruebelize. SAGA will never think you are a pest if you are trying to help animals. That's what the organisation is about. Sometimes though, it's difficult for them to keep up with everything because they are just so busy. Be a pest. Hey, if the worst thing that happens is you worry that they think you are a pest but you save the puppies, who cares what anyone thinks. It is frustrating and I understand how you feel, but don't give up. Call SAGA, work with them and definitely enjoy volunteering with them! Great to have caring people in the community.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

P
P
You probably have now via this medium but in Belize always talk to someone as high in an organisation as possible when trying to get something done. Never assume info flows up the chain.

Humm - I have to wonder what would happen if, sometime during the dark of night, their chains 'just happened' to break loose? Would the poor things run? Would someone be arrested (or shot)?
Would your hose reach over so you could at least wash the $#!+ away?
How about calling the health Department? Seems like this could be considered a health hazard.
Keep up the good work - the only people you will be a pest to are the insensitive neighbors.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
R
R
I live next door to these 3 poor creatures, i love all animals, and cant believe anyone would have 3 young dogs that arent pets, are guard dogs and arent feed or watered. I feel like putting them in a cagew and giving them to SAGA to find a true pet lover. By the way the owners are not Bealizean and admit they dont have time to take care of them. True belize is a very good friend and a most caring animal lover. I feel like chaining the owners up for a week with no food ., drink or place to poop and it might just teach them a lesson.
All three have been let off the short chains, they dont wonder off they are just so playful and wanting attention. But getting anything done seems very slow and difficult, unlike USA or UK when the authorities have real powers and can prosecute people who have no right to own ANYTHING on 4 legs. Lets hope people power works

D
D
There is strength in numbers. What if you talked to few more neighbors and confronted these morons. Shame them, offer to adopt these dogs to someone who will care for them seeing they don't have the time. Pool some cash together get them a security alarm if that's their only reason for having dogs. Buy these dogs some food. Offer to get them flea dipped at pampered paws.

If none of that works, chain them up.

I would visit personally with the Health Department minister or agent in SP and go to SAGA again to see if they may have the authority to remove the animals due to the feces issue as well as the cruelty. Not providing water, shelter and food to chained animals is cruelty.

Can you not take photo's of the dogs and then name and shame the owner so they will then look after their dogs?

Last edited by Inplub; 03/13/13 02:28 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 298 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.