Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
JZB Offline
Print out the cruelty to animals act and staple it to their front door. Highlight the last paragraph which states that they can be arrested for animal neglect. Who knows, they might just need to be reminded they are doing something wrong.

Hi Thetruebelize and other concerned citizens, thank you for caring. I am a Saga Board member and I echo CollyK's comments, we are stretched in a lot of directions but you will NEVER be considered a pest by us for continuing to care and for being a passionate advocate for any animal!!

We do the best we can to respond and followup, but honestly as a NFP with limited resources we NEED the community to be our eyes and ears, and sometimes with everything else going on we need to receive a reminder of a situation that is going on/not improving.

Please contact me directly at my personal email [email protected] and I will do the best I can to get the specific info on these animals in distress you have witnessed, Saga does have the authority to remove neglected/abused animals from their owners if the warnings they are given are not heeded, so the follow up is critical and we appreciate the help from all of you to keep on it.

I would like to wholeheartedly recommend making reports to the Health Department and Town Council as well but as sometimes these lead to knee jerk reactions calling for dog eradications, I cannot wholeheartedly endorse it as a solution at this time.

We would be very excited to have any of you concerned citizens come on board to become volunteers and become involved with the response to these situations, please communicate with me and I will let you know more.

R
R
Hi Ari. Thx for your openness . Im sure some of us who have time will offer help to SAGA in practical ways. Could i just make one suggestion that any dog owner must register ownership and purchase yearly a dog licence say for $10bz and only owners with licences are allowed to own dogs, and any infringement in pet owning laws allows SAGA to revoke that licence for whatever period of time is deemed fit, this way, everybody is accountable a a small but useful sum of money is collected yearly. This system is used in UK and i think all over USA

In recent months there have been calls for a return to the dog licensing regime. Dogs Trust, the UK's largest dog welfare charity, does not believe that a return to the dog license would provide the suggested welfare benefit for dogs.

The dog license was abolished in 1987. At this point the license cost just 37p, however only a small number of dog owners bothered to buy a license. At the time the license was abolished, estimates suggest this was under 50%. The licensing regime was essentially a tax on dog ownership, it did not encourage a more responsible attitude towards dog ownership in the long term, nor did it protect in any way the welfare of dogs in the short term.

S
S
In certain US cities (not sure if it is state or county wide anywhere) impose annual fees per pet owned - this is based upon Vet records (annual vaccinations, etc). SO, the people who actually take responsibility for their pet get hit with additional taxes/ fees, almost like a penalty. Never sat too well with me...

While in Belize, I have been in similar situations as the initial poster and can attest to the heartbreak of watching these poor animals suffer. Intervening or reporting neighbors is a slippery slope with possible retaliation, etc. Please try to be as cautious as possible.

OP Offline
Just to answer some questions I, daily,feed them kibble and give them treats because all they get 'sometimes' from the owner is chicken bones (mind you that two of them are puppies), and I take them each on walks. The owner agreed to the walks in front of a SAGA representative. But it still breaks my heart that I have to rechain them to spend all but 20 chained to the porch and its a short term solution. Like Rob said we can't understand why they have these dogs. They are not guard dogs and not pets. So why?
They did slowly and quite reluctantly start cleaning their yard because I told them I will get the health department on them but trust me that's the only reason. They are not doing it because they care about the animals. They just don't want to get in trouble since they have a market in the front. But the cleaning is scarce so no matter what the dogs sit in feces.
I thought about the bath and flea/tick dip and knowing me I will probably end up doing it if SAGA can't help but I do ask myself where does this stop? I don't spending the money, that's not the issue but these people should not be allowed to have these animals or any other if they don't want to take care of them and give them space in the yard to run around. Also FYI from what I hear money is not an issue for them either.

But on another note I do think that SAGA needs our help in many aspects. I'm not just talking money but a rep did email me after reading this post and from our conversation did you know they have no power to fine abusers, have no protection if they want to confiscate an animal and they are threatened with harm, they can't ban abusers from owning animals etc. It sounds like there are many animal lovers here. We need to band together and demand action from the city. Sure resources are scarce but fundraising efforts can continue while the city at minimum should uphold the laws already on the books and provide some enforcement. At minimum fine the abusers.

I've seen passion & I've seen crazy.Initially, they look a lot alike.I think I'm passionate.

Heartbreaking. They are breaking the law with the neglect. And causing a health hazard with the feces. Perhaps someone should notify them of this fact and encourage them to relinquish the dogs to foster care for adoption since these people obviously do not care for them or spend any time or effort with them. Easier said than done, I know, but maybe giving them a 'way out' may help relieve the dogs' horrible lives. Fines won't do anything to change this situation - they just don't consider the animals' well being at all and never will.

S
S
"But on another note I do think that SAGA needs our help in many aspects. I'm not just talking money but a rep did email me after reading this post and from our conversation did you know they have no power to fine abusers, have no protection if they want to confiscate an animal and they are threatened with harm, they can't ban abusers from owning animals etc. It sounds like there are many animal lovers here. We need to band together and demand action from the city. Sure resources are scarce but fundraising efforts can continue while the city at minimum should uphold the laws already on the books and provide some enforcement. At minimum fine the abusers."

I didn't want to comment on that as I wasn't sure if the rules of the game had changed over the years but sometimes people don't understand that the volunteers of SAGA run into situations where their physical well being is at serious risk and they have no recourse but to walk away. Yes there are laws on the books but it all depends on who is running the police department whether or not they will get the help and support that they need. The people at SAGA that do the tough hard work day in and day out, and they know who they are, put themselves on the line because no one else will. It's a hard job but it's rewarding and maybe someday the community and town council will actually recognize them for their efforts and hardships.

I wouldn't suggest a volunteer with SAGA approach or intervene in removing the animals. The OP can certainly report observations to the Health Department officials as well as the police as a service to the community at large as well as the animals's well being. The OP has a dialogue with the neighbors if they are allowing the walking and feeding of the dogs. Perhaps they can work it out that the dogs are relinquished by choice so that they no longer burden their owners with their existence and suffering. The OP has every right to report this matter to appropriate authorities. The Health Dept and Police can't do anything if they are not apprised.

OP Offline
What's OP?

And yes it's a shame that SAGA doesn't get the support from the city council. Not sure if they ever will if the people don 't demand it. Almost seems hopeless because if all these departments have to be notified to try to handle the matter unfortunately nothing will be done. Since at every step there are people in these departments that need convincing these animals need help.
frown

And yes retaliation is a huge concern among many.
Anyway Ari I will call you tomorrow. Before I openef up this can of worms I mentioned to Kathy I wantef to start volunteering just didn't know where to start.

Last edited by Thetruebelize; 03/14/13 12:11 AM.

I've seen passion & I've seen crazy.Initially, they look a lot alike.I think I'm passionate.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.